water volume

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
I am in the process of adding storage to my system and need to figure out how much volume I will gain/lose from heating and heat loss of the water. anyone know of a formula that i can use? thanks nate

What exactly are you looking for? Loosing volume? I'm confused....

I will be building a bladder tank for my system. I need to know how big to make it. as water heats and cools it grows and shrinks.

I'm not aware of the exact calcs, but I think you could get an idea by downloading the PDF brochure at:
http://www.amtrol.com/extrol.htm

which shows the various sizes and capacities. They are using BTU capacities, which I assume relates to the expansion...they also mention the type of system.

Although I am not an expert on these things, I think if you figure the BTU storage capability of your system, that will be a starting point.

From 4°C to 100°C (roughly 39°F to 212°F), the volume of water will increase by about 4%. I imagine your operating temperature range is going to be narrower than that, so you're really not looking at a significant change in volume...couple of percent, maybe, if that. Rick

thanks rick, at approx 700 gal my bladder will need to hold about 30 gal.

at approx 700 gal my bladder will need to hold about 30 gal.

In a pressurized system how large your expansion tank is will determine how much the system pressure goes up as the temperature rises.

I think most manufacturers' expansion tanks are more than twice the volume that is needed for the volume due to expansion alone. If the expansion tank is twice the expansion volume, and it is empty when the system is at its lowest temperature, when the system is at max temp and the expansion tank is half full the pressure will be double the starting pressure. In other words, if you start at 12PSI at lowest temp, at max temp the pressure will be 24PSI.

The larger your expansion tank, the less the system pressure will climb as the temperature rises. If the tank is not large enough, pressures will get awfully close to to the pressure relief setting, usually about 30PSI for most systems that I've read about on this forum.
The classic symptoms are blowing the pressure relief valve when the boiler has been running flat out for a while and the storage tank (if there is one) is full of hot water. It becomes a regular thing, not because of a malfunction, but because the expansion tank is too small. Lots of examples posted on this forum over the last year or so.

Bigger is better but they get awfully expensive at larger sizes. Building your own is an opportunity to oversize it to reduce system pressure swings at a more affordable price. It's what I'm considering doing, too.

There are some good descriptions of homemade expansion tanks on this forum.

I have 84 gallons of acceptance volume in my expansion tanks using 1,000 gallons of pressurized storage....

I have 84 gallons of acceptance volume in my expansion tanks using 1,000 gallons of pressurized storage....

stee6043, what typical system pressure swing do you see from min to max temp?

DaveBP said:

stee6043, what typical system pressure swing do you see from min to max temp?

I typically max out at 20psi. Maybe a schosh over when I really push the temps up over 170 in both tanks. Cold pressure is 14psi...

DaveBP said:
I forgot to ask. How are you planning to build a bladder tank? What material?
my system is not pressurized, I will be doing something similar to a heatmor with a inner tube with larger fittings valkanized to it.

Isn't another thing to consider what the static pressure in the pressure tank should be. Typically furnished at 12 psi, which is good to about 28' above the pressure tank level (2 story house). If a one story house can reduce the pressure to about 5-6 psi (11-14' above the pressurized tank level), and acceptance volume of pressure tank would increase.

For my own purposes, I use 4% expansion factor rule of thumb for system volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.