Waterford Leprechaun -- fix to sell, or say goodbye?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Lehet

Nov 9, 2013
Vermont
In the last few years of a decade with the Waterford Leprechaun, I've seen its end in sight. First some firebricks were cracked. Then the bottom of the baffle was drooping. Finally this fall I noticed that the baffle had a hole in the bottom -- burn out. A few years ago it seemed there were no parts anywhere, but now it seems Lehman's sells parts for this stove. I actually ordered the bottom of the baffle and the front firebricks last week, just before replacing it with a craigslist Jotul 3 CB.

While replacing the stove, I noticed it wasn't just the front firebricks. Really all the firebricks are shot. They're about $50 each from Lehman's.

Baffle, Firebricks -- I'm looking at over $450 in parts to get this stove back in decent shape.

Seems like a waste of resources to just give up and chuck it. It's a good little stove for the right situation (better in the corner of a kitchen, as I first had it, rather than the main heat in the livingroom, as we used it more recently).

On the other hand, I don't want to spend this money only to find I can't sell the stove for the value of the new parts.

Should I try to cancel the order from Lehman's, or go ahead and order the rest of the firebricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.