Waterford Trinity blower just stopped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olgreyhair

Feb 3, 2015
NE PA
Hello all. Our Trinity wood stove blower just pooped the bed I think. Like 5 minutes ago. It was running fine all winter. No odd noises from the motor or anything. The outlet has power. Does anybody know if you can still get parts for a Waterford stove? Or better yet how to trouble shoot the blower or snap switch? Thanks for any help. G

The snap switch can be jumpered out of the circuit (carefully) to see if it's the culprit.

If it was running normally and stopped, probably popped the rheostat (if blower is var speed) or the snapdisc (if so equipped) isn't closing the circuit and it can be bypassed to see if its working. Like BG said, voltage is there so be careful.

Many appliances put a thermal fuse on the line in, so if things get hot enough to melt insulation the power goes off before someone gets zapped. This is a cheap part and often the culprit with "dead" electric wall ovens.

I do not know if this is common design practice in woodstoves but it seems like it might be- makes sense to shut the power down before the insulation melts off the hot wire (although in an electric oven, this reduces the heat, and in a woodstove it increases it, so you could argue it either way).

Blower motor.jpg Well. I was able to easily remove the blower assembly and separate the blower motor from the duct work. Wow. That thing has had no love over 13 years. The whole unit is totally plugged with ash and dust. The squirrel cages will not spin freely at all. Tomorrow I will try to free it up and bench test it. I'm afraid I may have smoked it due to lack of maintenance. I'll post back. G

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsam
Could be the motor bearings have seized. If so they will need to be replaced.

13 years and have never seen a cleaning? Wow, that's durability. Cleaning the blower is part of the annual chimney/stove cleaning. If you can't find that part, a small motor repair place or perhaps a Grainger store might be able to supply a new motor to change out. Good luck with your hunt.

The motor bearings are seized. The bad news is that the blower is no longer available from Lehmans the only parts supplier left for Waterford wood stoves. The good news is that the blower is made by Fasco, an american company and is easily avalilable from Amazon or an electrical supply house. So for the record a Waterford Trinity MKII woodstove replacement blower is a FASCO Model A-125. It is an exact replacement. Approx cost $135.00

Reactions: weatherguy
Good news, did you get it or still waiting?

I have. Will install tomorrow night. Very easy.
Don't know if the Dayton will fit. Sure looks the same. I searched out the FASCO A125 because that is what the old one was.
Thanks for everyone's help. G

Status
Not open for further replies.