wax cardbourd boxes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
I got a one of the waxed boxes that vegetable come in from that produce man and used it to start my fire. Only need a small piece to get a fire going . Well worth trying if you can get some.

there was a company that introduced firelogs made out of those boxes a few years ago. Seemed like a good idea, but they could not actaully mass produce them for a reasonable price. So maybe you should go into business...........

BE CAREFUL!! I remember as a kid (back when playing with fire and the fireplace was cool), we thought it was cool to place a portion of waxed cardboard in the fireplace. The draft was so great that it immediately sucked the piece up the chimney and our neighbors called the fire department as it was flaming and sparking at the top of the chimney. I learned a valuable lesson from this(in not so pleasant a manner). Bad firebug - bad bad firebug!

Funny, my valuable pyro lesson came from lighting a wax-paper cup that I was holding, and upon realizing that I couldn't blow it out dropping it on the carpet. Judging by how my teen years played out I didn't learn the "correct" lesson, mind you.

there a guy on the forum that burns quite a bit of cardboard He should check in soon

Paging Dylan to the answer desk

mlouwho said:
there was a company that introduced firelogs made out of those boxes a few years ago. Seemed like a good idea, but they could not actaully mass produce them for a reasonable price. So maybe you should go into business...........
http://enviro-log.net/features.htm

elkimmeg said:
there a guy on the forum that burns quite a bit of cardboard He should check in soon

Paging Dylan to the answer desk

Elk--Dylan's been banned.

Admittedly, he was an acquired taste, but I miss him all the same.

Elk--Dylan’s been banned. [

In a way it does not suprise me, My spelling has not been corrected the last few days.

I know he had a tendency to piss off people but he really tried to help out stove re-builders

Did you know he was the senior member, having been here the longest.

Who did he tick off and why.

Well, I'm here to tell you I'm neutral about Dylan. But, if he's banned because of "keyboard mouth", it is no ones doin' 'cept his own. That's how I have it figured.

I'm also here to tell you about burning cardboard with wax. I have a lot of wax (paraffin) left over from my bikini waxing business down in S Miami years ago and have found it's coming in real handy to start fires now I moved "up North".

I just melt it on the stove in an empty 5 lb coffee can and hot dip cardboard pieces I get from just about anything. Maybe 3" x 5" is the average size and, if your wood is dry, you don't need much of the stuff or much kindling to get'er a'blaze.

It's cheap, doesn't seem to do any harm, stores safe and easy and a few short ones mixed into the wax doesn't seem to matter much either...

Aye,
Marty

elkimmeg said:
Elk--Dylan’s been banned. [

In a way it does not suprise me, My spelling has not been corrected the last few days.

I know he had a tendency to piss off people but he really tried to help out stove re-builders

Did you know he was the senior member, having been here the longest.

Who did he tick off and why.

Craig said in an explanatory post that Dyl was scaring off the newbs, which was costing him (Craig) money.

It's a valid point, in a way. I think that when the site had far fewer members, we tended to be more tolerant of obnoxious behavior, probably because there weren't that many new members, and the old timers had thicker skin and appreciated the entertainment value. We sort of put it into context, if you will. Kind of like the cranky old uncle that everyone tolerates at the family reunion. But as soon as the neighbors start dropping over, you want to get him the hell out of there 'cause he's making the whole family look bad.

Or so they think.

No gumming up the cat with the wax smoke, Marty?

Dylan and Winston are having a beer together somewhere and planning world domination.

As far as burning cardboard, I've never tried the waxed kind, but I've found myself throwing in TP and paper towel rolls in. Seems once I started to burn wood I've been re-evaluating everything as to whether or not I can burn it in the stove.

-Kevin

Marty S said:
Eric, I've no cat unless you're talking about the left over 'pelt' in my wax I soak the cardboard in...

Aye,
Marty

Now that right there is freaking hilarious. Thanks for the laugh guy.

He was on my ignore list anyway so I did not know he was gone.

Marty S said:
I'm also here to tell you about burning cardboard with wax. I have a lot of wax (paraffin) left over from my bikini waxing business down in S Miami..."

Aye,
Marty

Is no pics, didn't happen appropriate here?

Matt

Can't say I'll miss Dylan. He tried to get me when I first started posting. After a particularly acrimonious exchange and some taunting PM's, I told him to take a hike. Three or four bateings ignored by me and he finally quit. Don't think kidding/teasing the newbies helps the roster, so good riddance. Let's all remember who has hold of the plug.

johnsopi said:
He was on my ignore list anyway so I did not know he was gone.

I followed that post...he was obnoxious..I just ignored him..anyway.."the pelt" was humorous...cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.