Wax fire starter blocks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwbj

Oct 11, 2007
Ringoes NJ
Is it ok to use a small 2"x2"x2" wax/sawdust fire starter block in a Cat. wood stove to get the fire started? I have heard pros and cons about those things in a wood burning stove. I do notice that they burn away rather quicky, and they are all gone by the time it ready for Cat. ignition.
Will this cause any long term affects to my newly replaced Cat?

Thanks, Bob

I highly doubt it would. As you stated, they are all burned up before igniting the cat. You might even be able to cut those blocks in half as you don't need a whole lot to start a fire if your wood is dry.

They suck. I bought some for my pellet stove, a lot cheaper then the atrting gel. They wouldnt even begin to ignite the pellets and as soon as you tried to get some pellets to light theyd put the brick out.

super cedars work wonderfully well to start fires! do a thread search and you will find them. i cut them to quarters, and its it way more than enough to get a fire going, they heat up fast and look cool to!

I use the cheapo wax starter logs in my Cat insert.

I use a cheap serrated knife, and shave them into 1 inch chunks or so, thats generally all thats needed, if you have dry kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.