WAY off topic . . . but anyone use a good tactical back sling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Been thinking about this off and on for a few years. When you see a porcupine while walking the dog, invariably you don't have a gun. By the time you get one, the pork's gone.

So anyway, damn dog drags me out this morning before the sun is up. 20 minutes into walk - sun coming up now - we actually caught up to a coyote. Wind must been just right. Yeah, I know I'll never actually get one in this scenario. But I'd still like an over-the-back sling. Actually got a porc a few years ago with the other dog. Leash in left hand, 12Ga in right. Just the sight of a gun in my or the Mrs hand and both dogs went/go crazy!!

Anyone else have experience with an over-the-back?

lol, the picture of you doing that brings back memories of grandpa on the old John Deere 3020. he had these stupid wire "hooks" that were ran through a garden hose so he could just throw a shotgun in it. Just putting along through the field and I'd just be sitting right eside him on the fender. he wouldn't miss a beat, just keep driving with one hand, grab the gun with the other, and BLAM goodbye ground squirrel. I know a shotgun isn't a precision weapon, but dang if he wasn't good at doing that, lol.

I had a piece of soft leather sewn (to keep from sliding off shoulder)onto the nylon sling of the butt end of the gun and carry barrel down over right shoulder for a quick left hand grab and shoulder. Also made up double dog leads with a wrist loop so that when leading a single dog you can wrap one lead around waist and drop the wrist loop if need be for a quick shot while other lead is around waist restraining dog.

3" #4 Buck 27 pellets or less is your friend with coyotes

Dog be yankin on me the whole time . . .coyote got no fear I'm actually gonna hit him . . . but give him sumpin to think about next time he catches wind of us ;-)

are you in the "Northern Zone"

In the Northern Zone, if you are hunting with a dog, or accompanied by a dog, you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rim-fire or possess a shotgun loaded with slug, ball or buckshot unless you are engaged in coyote hunting with a dog and have received a permit from an Environmental Conservation Officer; any legal firearm may be used for this type of hunting.

pretty much open season on the suckers from October to march in NY.

If that yote smelled your dog and it was a male close to the den they have a tendency to try and draw threats away from the den.Have had this happen when walking a dog on hot track.You may have been able to bump him again if you had stayed on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.