WD-40 odor on first burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2007
CT
This year was the first time I ever sprayed down the inside of my Profile 20 stove with WD-40, hoping to prevent rust buildup.
I sprayed down the inside of the stove a number of times throughout the winter.

After dealing with a leaky cleanout tee, I finally got the leaks sealed.

So, I burned on high heat for a few hours last night, but I got a weird odor.
It wasn't the smell of smoke or burning wood.

I burned through almost an entire bag on high heat.

Could the weird, metallic or chemical smell (sorry hard to describe it)I am getting be the WD-40 burning off?

If it's not that, I have no idea what it could be....
I have never burned the Pro Pellets I am using this year, but I cant imagine that the odor is the pellets.....

thanks.
mm

mrmichaeljmoore said:
......I sprayed down the inside of the stove a number of times throughout the winter.......

I guess my question is, why are you spraying the inside of the stove with WD-40 in the WINTER? I can understand it during the summer months, but now?????

If that's what your doing, I would think that's the source of your smell.

macman said:
mrmichaeljmoore said:
......I sprayed down the inside of the stove a number of times throughout the winter.......

I guess my question is, why are you spraying the inside of the stove with WD-40 in the WINTER? I can understand it during the summer months, but now?????

If that's what your doing, I would think that's the source of your smell.

WOOPS!!!!! I meant to say summer! I sprayed the stove down with WD-40 whis summer!

Although the fact that it is 65 degrees today in Connecticut, has me a bit messed up.....heheh....

thanks for catching that macman.

Next year spray the inside down with PAM, you won't have that smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.