WD 40.... Who knew

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WD-40 last resort Kroil better but best is GIBBS. I have bought Kroil by the 5 gal. can it works really
well for most stuff but Gibbs I think is by far better.A mix of ATF and Acetone 50/50 works as good as anything so they say have not tried so can't say myself.

Whitepine2
According to this test, the ATF/acetone mix is the best of them all.
vypebegu.jpg

I don't know why we use it at work, as it is a very temporary repair for sticky parts. A much better penetrating lubricant is Gibbs.

According to this test, the ATF/acetone mix is the best of them all.
vypebegu.jpg
I don't see Gibbs listed but I think it would be up with the best of them.Like I said never used the
50/50 mix but have used all of the others and agree with the list you posted in that order.I have not used liquid wrench for years it may be better now also never liked the smell of it ether.

I guess the list of uses for WD40 is more propaganda then reality :-/

It doesn't keep bathroom mirrors from fogging either. I got that same email and tried it since my kids like to take 20-30 min hot showers in the winter. Didn't work

It doesn't keep bathroom mirrors from fogging either. I got that same email and tried it since my kids like to take 20-30 min hot showers in the winter. Didn't work

Did it have any side effects? Greasy residue, and the such

The ATF/acetone mix works great.
I have freed up stuck tractor engines with it.
Much cheaper than the rest as well.

The ATF/acetone mix works great.
I have freed up stuck tractor engines with it.
Much cheaper than the rest as well.

Just be careful not to spill any of the acetone on any Styrofoam.

Just be careful not to spill any of the acetone on any Styrofoam.

Or thrown in your face/eyes like happened to me on the flight line in Vietnam. Shoved my head into a full water can full of ice water. And won't detail what I did to the guy that did it. But in the end he had more lasting damage than I did.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Or thrown in your face/eyes like happened to me on the flight line in Vietnam. Shoved my head into a full water can full of ice water. And won't detail what I did to the guy that did it. But in the end he had more lasting damage than I did.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

D8,

The reason I asked is that is what happens with Rain X. After a few applications, a film builds up that can't be removed and eventually the wipers just smear.

I've only tried it once. Interesting about the rain-x, I don't really use it often but good to know

D8,

The reason I asked is that is what happens with Rain X. After a few applications, a film builds up that can't be removed and eventually the wipers just smear.

I've used rain-x for years, I guess decades now. I have never had a problem with a film or smearing. You're supposed to wipe it off. Also, I only use the real yellow bottle stuff and not the washer fluid substitute. We love the stuff.

Reactions: Ashful
I've used rain-x for years, I guess decades now. I have never had a problem with a film or smearing. You're supposed to wipe it off. Also, I only use the real yellow bottle stuff and not the washer fluid substitute. We love the stuff.

I am saying this because I bought a used car for my son and the windshield just smeared with the wipers. I replaced the wipers and no better, I brought the wipers back and tried a different brand, same thing.

I have a friend who does commercial glass and that is what he said.
So I replaced the windshield.

I used to use in years back and eventually just stopped for no apparent reason.

Maybe my friend is wrong.

I am saying this because I bought a used car for my son and the windshield just smeared with the wipers. I replaced the wipers and no better, I brought the wipers back and tried a different brand, same thing.

I have a friend who does commercial glass and that is what he said.
So I replaced the windshield.

I used to use in years back and eventually just stopped for no apparent reason.

Maybe my friend is wrong.

That's nuts. You should have just cleaned the window with something more aggressive or even a new coat of rain-x. It was probably just coated in oil from following some yahoo with a leaky rear main.

Wd-40 is not a penetrating oil,or a lube. It is a water dispersant and it works great for that.

That's nuts. You should have just cleaned the window with something more aggressive or even a new coat of rain-x. It was probably just coated in oil from following some yahoo with a leaky rear main.

I used vineagar and it didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.