We all like pics, another doug fir load from an urban lot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Holy hell, loaded so much that I had to put the wheelbarrow on top! This was doug fir that a tree service had left in this guy's backyard behind his fence in the "greenbelt". I had to split it, then lift it all over a fence ,and then carry it out of the fancy landscaping, then walk around the house to the the front and get the wheelbarrow, then load into my wheelbarrow, and then roll between the houses to my truck. If that's a cord and a cord is 4000# then I lifted each chunk no less than 6 times including unloading that night. Yipee, 24000 lbs! This was after work. In the PNW it luckily stays light until almost 10pm this time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 385
My goodness, what a lot of work. Enjoy the heat later this year!!!!

It was nice wood but way too much work. If I had known about the fence before driving 45 minutes to get there I wouldn't have picked up this load. This wood is my 17/18 wood or possibly 18/19 depending on the weather and the whether.

It is pretty nice wood though. Lots of noodling.

That's a lot of moving and wet wood is heavy! Will you be respliting those halves into quarters or thirds?

That's a lot of moving and wet wood is heavy! Will you be respliting those halves into quarters or thirds?

They are much bigger than they look. 7-10 splits from each one I'd guess.

If the wood stays light until 10 pm then you really caught a big break!!;lol

You can't beat fir here in the PNW, but I have learned my craigslist lesson too. If they don't post pictures and you can't pull up to the wood I am not bothering. I can stay within 20 minutes of my house and get all the ponderosa rounds I can handle. They post them here constantly on the free board. Finally got a 7'x18' trailer that will carry 3x what my little utility trailer did - just have to fix the wiring so the turn signals and brake lights work.

You can't beat fir here in the PNW, but I have learned my craigslist lesson too. If they don't post pictures and you can't pull up to the wood I am not bothering. I can stay within 20 minutes of my house and get all the ponderosa rounds I can handle. They post them here constantly on the free board. Finally got a 7'x18' trailer that will carry 3x what my little utility trailer did - just have to fix the wiring so the turn signals and brake lights work.

I got hooked up with a tree service and I suppose they get all kinds of deals. I need to take the good with the bad to some extent. Every day this week I got full loads like that but with excellent access. I am taking a break to split and stack. Lesson I learned is find a tree service.

I contacted a tree service that dumped chips and rounds. They said they dumped mostly chips. We were pretty excited as we use them for mulch in our huge garden and orchard/chicken run. I am a little ways north of town, but still only 15 minutes from civilization. We got two loads of gigantic knotty rounds of red cedar and blue spruce. Luckily I had them dump most of it down in my pasture next to my big slash pile. Still no wood chips.

I am not too impressed so far - guessing they have someone closer to town than me. Learned my lesson on red cedar and blue spruce - if it looks knotty it gets pushed onto the slash pile with the tractor. I split most of it and it was brutal - just about every split was twisted. Prefer the Ponderosa pine rounds - even the real big ones.

Maybe we will get lucky one of these days and get a 12 yard load of chips. Thinking of calling him and telling him I will pay 50 bucks per 12yd load of chips!

Just finished about about 12 Gator bed loads of small fir limbs and some scrap lumber with the chop saw. That is the way to do it - I flew through that stuff! I have been collecting 24-80 inch fir limbs that are 2-5 inches as I have been cutting them down. Had a big pile of them. The kids use garden clippers to remove the small branches and the chop saw goes through them like nothing. Fill the back of the Gator up with them - back up to saw in the barn and cut and load at the same time - out to stack. Pretty excited about how easy that was - way easier than using my log cradle and cutting them with chainsaw like I have been doing. Guessing I have about 2 cords of CSS fir branches now. Figured it's a good way to stuff the stove around the big splits! I will never cut the small stuff with a chainsaw again.

Highbeam, how's the back after all that lifting? Great looking wood but a heck of a lot of extra work.

Reactions: Highbeam
What kind of truck is that? Guessing it's not a half ton.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Alot of work! Will pay off in the long run i suppose. More than i would do for fir. But i live in the eastern hardwoods........LOL

What kind of truck is that? Guessing it's not a half ton.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Well I did a load like that every day for 5 days straight plus a couple the week before and I called the tree service to take me off of their list for awhile while I split and stack to see if I need more.

I have some more pictures and a question. First, the pictures. These were from the last cutting location. Apparently I was the fourth person to come and try to load out these rounds. They were too big for everybody else, too heavy, too dangerous. Hah! The gal says to me, "did they tell you how big they were?". No sweat. The only drag about my method is that it leaves behind a mountain of shavings (noodles) but the alternative is that the owner gets to have those rounds forever. This was in deep downtown Tacoma near their zoo. Nice area.

Yes I had to noodle that bad boy into 6 chunks to lift them into the trunk. I'm not too tall but I've never had to lift my saw up above my belly button to start a cut.

You'll notice I loaded the wood on end, stacked it upright so it wouldn't squeeze the bedsides out. Is that weird? I was able to really load the truck up well and I felt safer about it. Has anyone else loaded a truck this way?

Oh and my truck is a plain single rear wheel, crew cab, 7' bed, F350 diesel. The factory overloads supplemented with torklift stable loads which just engage the factory overloads a bit sooner. Power or stopping are not a problem but I am certainly getting close on tire ratings and GVWR.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 181
Where there's a will, there's a way... I had never heard the term " noodling" before joining this form, but I had also never done any scrounging for free wood before either. But with some of the tree service wood, I have noodled them just to get them in the truck. Very handy, and saved my back several times now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice stuff. Love the colours but seriously! All you had to do was come over and see me. 15min drive from the shed.

image_zpsxt3tefo7.jpg

The only Fir I cut.

Well I did a load like that every day for 5 days straight plus a couple the week before and I called the tree service to take me off of their list for awhile while I split and stack to see if I need more.

I have some more pictures and a question. First, the pictures. These were from the last cutting location. Apparently I was the fourth person to come and try to load out these rounds. They were too big for everybody else, too heavy, too dangerous. Hah! The gal says to me, "did they tell you how big they were?". No sweat. The only drag about my method is that it leaves behind a mountain of shavings (noodles) but the alternative is that the owner gets to have those rounds forever. This was in deep downtown Tacoma near their zoo. Nice area.

Yes I had to noodle that bad boy into 6 chunks to lift them into the trunk. I'm not too tall but I've never had to lift my saw up above my belly button to start a cut.

You'll notice I loaded the wood on end, stacked it upright so it wouldn't squeeze the bedsides out. Is that weird? I was able to really load the truck up well and I felt safer about it. Has anyone else loaded a truck this way?

Oh and my truck is a plain single rear wheel, crew cab, 7' bed, F350 diesel. The factory overloads supplemented with torklift stable loads which just engage the factory overloads a bit sooner. Power or stopping are not a problem but I am certainly getting close on tire ratings and GVWR.

The fir noodleing makes awesome fire starter, bag it up it's free!

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 93
Status
Not open for further replies.