We are all ANTS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
My brother in-law payed me a great compliment today. He ask me this morning if I wanted to play golf. When I said I was going to finish putting wood in for the winter he said I am like that Ant in the childrens story. I answered that I hope he is not like the Grasshopper. Remember what happened to the grasshopper?
Proud to be an ANT..... I love the smell of Red Oak in the morning !

When my daughter, who will be 24 this October, was a little girl, one of the nighttime story books I always loved to read to her was "Frederick", by Leo Lionni. It's almost the opposite of the ants thing, but Frederick spent his time well in preparation for the upcoming season, in his own way. A heartwarming story...but we'll need wood to burn so we can be comfortable reading. Rick

I guess I would be called an Ant too. My coworker asked me if I wanted to go fishing this weekend and I reluctantly said yes. I've turned him down about 3 times already, and I love to fish. The problem is there are some fallen oak trees close to my house that have been given to me for free. Kinda sad that I would rather cut and haul wood over fishing.

Ants are one of nature's great decay organisms. We may be an even greater decay organism. We seem to be rapidly homogenizing an entire planet to what end?

No shame in enjoying something productive! Just because it's practical doesn't mean it doesn't have the same appeal as many sports for physical activity, crafts for the joy of building something by hand, and many outdoor pursuits as well.
Well, then there's the obsessive hoarding part- scratching that neurotic itch is satisfying as well.

I like fishing- I couldn't catch a cold if it had handles, but I go anyway.

It's called being or getting prepared. Make hay when the sun shines.

Cutting, splitting and stacking firewood can be a very inexpensive way of enjoying yourself. No need to make it hard work. Just learn to enjoy it and it will serve you well. So, instead of spending dollars to first drive to the golf course and then to rent the ground so you can play a game, you decide to do something that will not only save you dollars but will keep you and your family warm in the coming winter. Sort of reminds one of the parable in the Bible about the wise and foolish virgins (Mathew, Chapter 25).

Status
Not open for further replies.