We cut a "leaner" down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe in MI

Apr 24, 2010
NW Michigan
The top of a BIG oak tree came most of the way down a couple weeks ago. Last week my dad came up and helped me get it down. After we were done, he told me it was the scariest hang-up he's ever brought down, and he's been cutting wood for almost 50 years. The scary part was the sheer size of it, and the height it was hung up. The pictures don't really do it justice - the tree is 11 feet in circumference at chest height. The top 50-60 feet of the tree fell straight over, and the broken stub of the trunk wedged against the still-standing part about 15 feet off the ground. We got a rope around the leaner and tried to pull it down with the truck (the rope was loooooong!) My little half-ton chebby wouldn't budge it. I managed to get my 8n tractor around to the other side through the woods, and we were able to dislodge it - popped right out going that direction. The bottom of the broken off part had a big curve to it, which landed on another piece of the tree (the original top that fell out years ago) so most of was STILL 6 feet off the ground. But at that point, we were able to cut bits off the crown and "walk" it down. It was a little nerve-racking until it was finally on the ground.

The rounds from the bottom of what we cut up were over 2 feet across. It was a LOT of weight hanging up there, defying every physics law I'm aware of. Should be a good bit of firewood in 3 to 4 years.

GEDC1551.jpg

GEDC1558.jpg

GEDC1555.jpg

GEDC1556.jpg

Good Job. Looks scary.

Did that Poulan get any help?

11 FEET?! You guys rock! I don't think I would have tried that one! You've got a great supply of wood there!

The poulan did have help-from an identical saw my dad brought up. They do pretty good with a real chain. For a cheap saw, anyway.

Joe in MI said:
The poulan did have help-from an identical saw my dad brought up. They do pretty good with a real chain. For a cheap saw, anyway.

just curious, I beat the hell out of mine. I treat like its a much better saw than it is.. LOL

Looking at that second and third picture that tree needed to come down. Glad you got it down okay.

Sorry if my post was misleading. We didn't actually cut down the whole tree - we just got the hung-up part down. And yes, the tree does need to come down. My dad and I will tackle that at some point. I wanted to get the hung-up part down first, and that's all we had time for.

I live 160 miles away from my folks. I made a quick surprise trip home yesterday to help him run his sawmill. We both had a blast. The mill was a lot less scary than this tree was.

Status
Not open for further replies.