"We don need no stinkin' P.P.E. "

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fjord

Aug 17, 2010
N.H.
Looking for that bigger, more powerful, long bar chainsaw ? Not much here on safety gear or techniques for safe and efficient cutting. :bug:

Don know what "PPE" means ? That's the more vital "gear".

Looking to spend some big bucks simply to get a macho fix ? "I need more power" "I need a longer bar."

Wake up time. Get to know PPE. Go out, learn, watch real pros do their job right--on the ground or up a tree.

No one, no one can control kickback; big muscles and all, or "I've been doing without all that gear for ( fill in the blank )
years without drawing blood. I'm experienced." :red:

So, before you drool over that new, high torque 357XP or MS440 that will solve all your manly needs for a couple of delivered cords each year,
understand how to use the tool safely and efficiently. Always, especially with that load of delivered log length cords. Google "chainsaw injuries" for a kick.
Many many diagrams, You Tube blood, stats on injury frequency and body locations.

Purchase/use:
1. Full helmet system: hardhat, ear protection, full face shield.
2. Chaps that WILL stop the chain ( Baileys, Labonville, etc..)
3. Steel toe boots ( No, silly, not for the chain cutting off your toe. It's for the drops ON the feet. )
4. Training. Many programs, some mandated for professional in order to get liability insurance. Others given by various groups such as
GOL ( Game of Logging) at Schools of Forestry for example.
5. Take it a step further: Kevlar gloves. Handy for sharpening n the field. ( You do know how to hand sharpen out there, don't you ?)

Plenty to learn. Lots to risk. That chain @ WOT moves fast. Too fast for ANY reaction from Homo Sapiens.
It costs $___.00 for all the above PPE. It costs $________.00 for ER, evacuation, therapy, loss of income......oh yes, pride.

Do a search on "ppe"

fjord, Safety and use of PPE is discussed here on a very regular basis. Most of (if not all of) the longer term members here encourage safety all the time. Do some reading of past posts - there are a lot to read. Then feel free to come back if you have something NEW to add. Not trying to be rude here, but for someone new to come along and throw out a blast of "you guys don't seem to care about safety" seems a little knee jerk.

If it were not for the information provided by this forum I would not have even known about Kevlar gloves with the vibration absorbing gel packs, which are super comfy for those that have not tried them.

'bert

I too being pretty new here was impressed at the frequency of folks recommending PPE, search on "chaps" and you will get pages of threads

I like to run my 880 with 41inch bar in my under-ware!

’bert said:
smokinjay said:

pics or it didn't happen, jay! :lol: :bug:

I will be firing it up Sunday see what I can do....My girlfriend thinks it sexy! lol

’bert said:
smokinjay said:

pics or it didn't happen, jay! :lol: :bug:

Please don't.

Underwear is for sissies...

Chaps and no underwear, ;)

BLIMP said:
DanCorcoran said:
ya but what about "safety first"

safety first, or not at all! Cant say for sure if the underwear is really that important!

smokinjay said:
BLIMP said:
DanCorcoran said:
ya but what about "safety first"

safety first, or not at all! Cant say for sure if the underwear is really that important!
& might be detrimental if things get really scary

’bert said:
fjord, Safety and use of PPE is discussed here on a very regular basis. Most of (if not all of) the longer term members here encourage safety all the time. Do some reading of past posts - there are a lot to read. Then feel free to come back if you have something NEW to add. Not trying to be rude here, but for someone new to come along and throw out a blast of "you guys don't seem to care about safety" seems a little knee jerk.If it were not for the information provided by this forum I would not have even known about Kevlar gloves with the vibration absorbing gel packs, which are super comfy for those that have not tried them.
'bert

Dearest Bert et. al.

It is with great regret that you and the other "L.T.M.'s" have got your panties in such a tear...quite sorry to not have recognised the protocol of proving oneself in the virtual reality.
Your setting up the straw dog (with anthropomorphic apologies to my fur children ) of "..you guys don't care about safety...) is cute but not real.
Forget seniority here, read the content, read the frequency of posts here on bigger, more powerful, faster, longer, torquier (?). Compare those to the few posts from you and the others dealing with
protected and safe and effective cutting, perhaps you and the others so bent out of shape that this "newbie" ( horrors ) dared to offer suggestions based on training, experience,
knowledge, and the actual real use of saws in real woodlands with real trees may, just may find some information or reminders helpful.

Now Bert, the Inconvenient Truth: do you ( and the other LTM's with the torn panties) use full PPE, all the time ? Do you (and the LTM's) really ever use the chain brake ?
One of you brags about the drop start.
From the past posts here , the answers may be inconvenient.

When can I become an LTM ? Pretty please. :bug:

I remain, your faithful newbie,

fjord

P.S. Why thank you for asking about my knee arthroscopy....yes, it went well. It's the 3rd try to repair that knee jerk, a.k.a. ACL.

LOL If you had done a search I think I came up with 720 threads with the word ppe, so the title of your thread seems that done of us know what we are doing?
I have been around saw's for a min. or two.

fjord,
It's sooo not sexy to read posts on "Awesome New Chaps" or "Sweet Forestry Helmet." Nobody into anything is ever excited about the safety gear: "Yo, you got a new quad?! Sweet, what kinda helmet you wear?" CRAP. Forums like this are good for acquiring information (search: PPE/Chaps/Helmet, etc. and get hundreds of hits) and for talkin' about toys.

S

fjord said:
Dearest Bert et. al.

It is with great regret that you and the other "L.T.M.'s" have got your panties in such a tear...quite sorry to not have recognised the protocol of proving oneself in the virtual reality.
Your setting up the straw dog (with anthropomorphic apologies to my fur children ) of "..you guys don't care about safety...) is cute but not real.
Forget seniority here, read the content, read the frequency of posts here on bigger, more powerful, faster, longer, torquier (?). Compare those to the few posts from you and the others dealing with
protected and safe and effective cutting, perhaps you and the others so bent out of shape that this "newbie" ( horrors ) dared to offer suggestions based on training, experience,
knowledge, and the actual real use of saws in real woodlands with real trees may, just may find some information or reminders helpful.

Now Bert, the Inconvenient Truth: do you ( and the other LTM's with the torn panties) use full PPE, all the time ? Do you (and the LTM's) really ever use the chain brake ?
One of you brags about the drop start.
From the past posts here , the answers may be inconvenient.

When can I become an LTM ? Pretty please. :bug:

I remain, your faithful newbie,

fjord

fjord,

There is not anything in your original post that I disagree with (and yes, I do wear full PPE when using my saw, I do use my chain brake and yes, I have taken the Game of Logging training) but your logic is seriously flawed. Of course we don't discuss PPE as much as gear. What are going to say? I think Labonville chaps are the best in the world and get in a debate with someone who will only wear Stihl? The advantages of a Peltor helmet system vs. Husqvarna? Even trying to decide which splitter you're going to buy has more choices.

You will be an LTM when you become an LTM but coming in and lecturing people you don't know after being a member for 11 days seems a bad way to get started. As with most things in life, sugar will attract more flies than vinegar.

Maybe instead you could have started with a thread like, "Hey guys, I really think PPE and training is important and would like to discuss it here more."

I think most folks are very safety minded. Some are a little more indifferent and still others have the "Ive been doing it for 30 years and I havent been hurt yet" attitude.

You could supply all the "PPE" required when you purchase a saw and some still wouldnt bother to use it. It would be nice if they did use it but you get to a point when an adult does what they want and is willing to accept the consequences.

Some folks dont wear helments on motorcycles, some dont wear seatbelts, and yes some even underwear ;) Its a free country

I was outside stacking and was thinking about this and i can not remember one time a newbie has come on this site asking about what saw to get and they are not told to buy and use PPE.

ANeat said:
I think most folks are very safety minded. Some are a little more indifferent and still others have the "Ive been doing it for 30 years and I havent been hurt yet" attitude.

You could supply all the "PPE" required when you purchase a saw and some still wouldnt bother to use it. It would be nice if they did use it but you get to a point when an adult does what they want and is willing to accept the consequences.

Some folks dont wear helments on motorcycles, some dont wear seatbelts, and yes some even underwear ;) Its a free country
True but it's the taxpayers who end up footing the bill when these idiots land in the nursing home or worst leaving their family on welfare when the breadwinner is gone. Just ask any EMT about their horror stories of chainsaw accidents; course it does add to our job security. Be safe, use PPE.
Ed

I'm not sure that this has any bearing on the subject at hand, but as I recall, folks in Woody Allen's film "Bananas" were required by their new dictator to wear clean underwear every day. To make the policy easier to enforce, they were required to wear it on the outside...

DanCorcoran said:
I'm not sure that this has any bearing on the subject at hand, but as I recall, folks in Woody Allen's film "Bananas" were required by their new dictator to wear clean underwear every day. To make the policy easier to enforce, they were required to wear it on the outside...

Sounds about right!

Welcome, fjord. Stick around, I think you'll find there's a good deal of discussion about, and a generally healthy respct for, PPE here among the members of these forums. This particular thread, I think, has about run its course. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.