"we have biobricks $9.99"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw that on an Aubuchon sign in Tewksbury when I went to pick up my pad thai, 4 flames at Mango II in Tewksbury.

Whut do it mean? How many in a box, and refresh my memory on what they weigh (I know- lower moisture etc). I been thinking to get some as experiemntal kiln fuel for fun.

Thanks,
-pH

Adios Pantalones said:
Saw that on an Aubuchon sign in Tewksbury when I went to pick up my pad thai, 4 flames at Mango II in Tewksbury.

Whut do it mean? How many in a box, and refresh my memory on what they weigh (I know- lower moisture etc). I been thinking to get some as experiemntal kiln fuel for fun.

Thanks,
-pH
You cant get that stuff around here always wanted to give it a try on a sub 0 day and 20-30 mph wind!

One other thing to try is Outdoor World (in Candia I think) sells giant pellets to run in a woodstove.
A guy in Barnstead was making them but ran out of money and sold his press to Outdoor World.
They burn pretty well.

What exactly is a good price to pay for these split wood alternatives? Any idea where to get them for a good price in central/southern NH? I remember seeing a post somewhere on the hearth breaking down the little tootsie roll looking things outdoor world sells and it wasn't even close to a good deal. That is not surprising. Not looking for a sophisticated analysis, just some tips!

It all depends what goes into them. The guy in barnstead is a client of mine, and had been fooling with it for while.
He made some that really burned great and some that didn't. When he made then there was no binders or glue, its all hydraulic pressure. It's hard to get hardwood sawdust these day though.

Adios Pantalones said:

Thanks,
-pH

Probably a 40# pack (20 Bricks @ 2 pounds each).

From the manufacturer a pallet (ton) is 50 of these plastic wrapped packs. So unless they are repackaging to something else they're charging $500 a ton. If you want a pack to play with it might make sense but if you want to burn more than a few bricks they can be found for a whole lot less.

Dill said:
One other thing to try is Outdoor World (in Candia I think) sells giant pellets to run in a woodstove.
A guy in Barnstead was making them but ran out of money and sold his press to Outdoor World.
They burn pretty well.

What's the cost?

Interesting to look at. I don't know but $243.00 + another $61.00 to ship seems a little high to me. I calculated this with today's Euro exchange rate 1.2717 to 1 exchange rate.

EDIT 10/01/08 11:08am: APOLOGY: I though the above was being typed into a post about a funky axe from Finland. Sorry 'bout that!

I picked a couple packages up at Aubuchon, they were 25 lb packages with 12 bricks. Wrapped nicely. I got a nice bed of coals going in my lopi revere insert and placed 3 bricks tightly together. They took right off, I had to shut the air control all the way off and it ran at over 600 for an 1 1/2 hours, then finally settled down to 350-400 for another 2 1/2 hours. I need to do some more testing to see if it would be worth using these.

Webmaster said:
On the sign here I think it says 25 lbs.
Not cheap.

At prices over $300 a ton, this stuff is more than oil.

Cool, thanks. I just want some to experiment with in the kiln. Since I hear about the danger of runaway fires if not loaded properly- that is exactly what I need in the kiln, and might save me at the end of a long firing in bad weather etc.

Below is a link to an earlier thread. I posted a reply to that thread with links to some of the more useful threads on Bio Bricks.

Below that is a link to my results when searching the term "Bio Bricks".

The rule of thumb is that a 1900 Lb pallet (which is a short ton minus 100 Lbs) should roughly have the heat value of a cord of wood and therefore should cost about the same as a cord of wood. Of course the heat value comparison would ultimately depend upon the variety of wood in the cord and the moisture content. And there may be a price differential for the convenience of bio bricks (free of dirt and debris, you can store inside). The downside of Bio Bricks is that you can't store them outside.

Bio-Bricks
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/quotereply/190423/

Cath said:
You can also try searching the terms "Bio Bricks" "Bio-Bricks" "BioBricks", etc. to find some recent threads.

Here are a few worth checking out:

Hearthroom Thread: Bio Bricks Year In Review – 3/6/08 by nhtodd
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16217/

Hearthroom Thread: Bio-Bricks please help me to like them – 1/11/08 by mbk 2000
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13734/

Hearthroom Thread: quick question about bio brick weight – 1/8/08 by mbk 2000
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13593/

~Cath

Results of search using key word(s) “Bio Bricks”
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/search_results/6161a600a524cce3b777c2c13e7c1ab2/

Adios Pantalones said:
Since I hear about the danger of runaway fires if not loaded properly- that is exactly what I need in the kiln...

Yeah, AP is the only one on the forum that intentionally loads improperly with the HOPES of a run away fire. :lol: Now THATS a pyro I can admire. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.