We like 'em stacked!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Kelly

Feeling the Heat
Does anyone on here stack wood up against their house?

Other than the circulation consideration, I'm wondering what else to consider before doing this. I also wonder if pest problems are likely with this. We have a screened-in porch on the back of the house which would be a great "on deck" place to stack lots of wood. Anyone think of any pros or cons they'd care to share?

I'd say it sounds pretty convienent to me.

inside a porch wont be that bad.. I stacked along my garage the first year and a squirrel made his home behinde the stack.. When i got half way gone you could see were it chewed on my siding >:-(

I'd be worried about powder post beetles getting into my house, but that's me. If I lived in a masonry or metal building maybe it would be different.

Matt

my attatched garage makes a 90 with my house and thats where i stack all of my seasoned on deck wood. it is on the east side of the garage so it blocks most of the blowing snow from burrying my stacks. I have no complaints works out great for me.

I stack one front end loader of wood on the back porch at a time. The porch floor is unfinished treated 5/4 boards and the siding is fiber cement but the wood never touches the siding. I 've never had any problems with this method other than the tractor rutting up the lawn a little bit when the weather is damp.

You guys be fast!

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll put a couple of 2 bys on the concrete floor and leave some circulation room behind the stack.

Unless the wood brings in bugs with it, there shouldn't be a big population that will be introduced into the wood from inside the porch.

Wish me luck!

Mr. Kelly said:
You guys be fast!

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll put a couple of 2 bys on the concrete floor and leave some circulation room behind the stack.

Unless the wood brings in bugs with it, there shouldn't be a big population that will be introduced into the wood from inside the porch.

Wish me luck!

Good Luck!!

Remember, air is your friend. So is Budweiser.

Mr. Kelly said:

Other than the circulation consideration, I'm wondering what else to consider before doing this. I also wonder if pest problems are likely with this. We have a screened-in porch on the back of the house which would be a great "on deck" place to stack lots of wood. Anyone think of any pros or cons they'd care to share?
During heating season, I stack one month's worth on the porch for easy access. I don't worry about airflow or bugs because it's already seasoned and the bugs are gone.

i wouldnt stack near the house if there is an eve/overhang without a gutter... all that rain water will soak the wood every time it rains. learned that lesson last year.

quads said:
Mr. Kelly said:

During heating season, I stack one month's worth on the porch for easy access. I don't worry about airflow or bugs because it's already seasoned and the bugs are gone.

I think Quads is my newest and bestest friend since we tend to do many of the same things. ;) Just kidding Quads.

In all seriousness though, I'm just like Quads . . . I stack one week's worth of wood on my covered porch . . . it just makes it easier to go out in the morning to grab the day's worth of wood for the firebox . . . and it makes it real nice when the winds are howling and the snow is coming down and you can walk out barefooted on the porch in your boxers and not have to worry about getting any frozen appendages. ;) Once a week or so I'll reload the wood on the porch and sweep it off (snow, dirt, sawdust, woodchips, etc.) . . . beats going out at night with a flashlight to get a load of wood from the woodshed or pile. Another positive is if you stack outside and have any snow or ice on your wood you can "clean" it off a bit when you move it to the porch . . . just a little less snow or ice to make a mess inside.

Our back porch isn't screened, but we do put up plastic . . . partly to block the snow off the porch and partly because Mrs. Firefighterjake and I tend to skinny dip in our hot tub on the back porch and when the leaves have fallen Mrs. Firefighterjake is a bit leery of giving the neighbors a free show. ;)

Since this is only done in the cold weather (stacking of the wood on the porch . . . not the hot tubbing), critters are a non-issue . . . plus we have four critter killers ready to go into action at a moment's notice. Ditto for the bugs.

In regards to the airflow . . . this wood is pretty much already seasoned . . . but in any case, the back porch is still open to the elements (no door) so the wood is continuing to season.

firefighterjake said:
... partly because Mrs. Firefighterjake and I tend to skinny dip in our hot tub on the back porch and when the leaves have fallen Mrs. Firefighterjake is a bit leery of giving the neighbors a free show. ;)

y'know there's a limit to how many times y'all can make inflammatory statements like that before the general populace's collective heads explode, eh? ;)

firefighterjake said:
quads said:
Mr. Kelly said:

I think Quads is my newest and bestest friend since we tend to do many of the same things. ;) Just kidding Quads.

In all seriousness though, I'm just like Quads . . . I stack one week's worth of wood on my covered porch . . . it just makes it easier to go out in the morning to grab the day's worth of wood for the firebox . . . and it makes it real nice when the winds are howling and the snow is coming down and you can walk out barefooted on the porch in your boxers and not have to worry about getting any frozen appendages. ;) Once a week or so I'll reload the wood on the porch and sweep it off (snow, dirt, sawdust, woodchips, etc.) . . . beats going out at night with a flashlight to get a load of wood from the woodshed or pile. Another positive is if you stack outside and have any snow or ice on your wood you can "clean" it off a bit when you move it to the porch . . . just a little less snow or ice to make a mess inside.

Our back porch isn't screened, but we do put up plastic . . . partly to block the snow off the porch and partly because Mrs. Firefighterjake and I tend to skinny dip in our hot tub on the back porch and when the leaves have fallen Mrs. Firefighterjake is a bit leery of giving the neighbors a free show. ;)

Since this is only done in the cold weather (stacking of the wood on the porch . . . not the hot tubbing), critters are a non-issue . . . plus we have four critter killers ready to go into action at a moment's notice. Ditto for the bugs.

In regards to the airflow . . . this wood is pretty much already seasoned . . . but in any case, the back porch is still open to the elements (no door) so the wood is continuing to season.
Ha ha ha! We can all use friends. Did plenty of skinny dippin' myself in the creek, but not for a few years now!

I stack a week's worth on my covered front porch after the first good freeze takes care of the bugs. I only keep a wheelbarrow full before the frost. That makes me think that bugs won't be a problem.

Ain't many bugs in my wood when I bring it up to the porch. My wood's good and dry, see very little bugs in it.

I keep a face cord or so on the porch ONLY during heating season, otherwise my wood stays away from the house.

I used to stack some in the garage against the wall at the front end of the car at one house I lived in.
Lots of holes in the sheetrock at bumper height.

Put a tennis ball on a string at the windshield the next Summer to let the driver know when far enough was far enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.