WE LOVE OUR NEW STOVE - JOUTL F 3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaquith

Aug 12, 2006
Thanks to all who helped us decide on our stove. We had our Jotul F3CB installed about 5 weeks ago and we are so siked! We are burning ponderosa pine and apple. At night, on nice bed of coals, we add apple let it crank up to 400-500 degrees shut it down and GUESS WHAT we have COALS 8 HOURS LATER!!!! WOW!! We get 4-5 hours with the pondi.

If you want an all night burn with such a small stove you must burn hardwood.

We decided on the cast iron stove over the soapstone and it was a good choice for us. If the stove gets too hot it cools off quickly and then reheats again when we need it to. In the morning it takes the chill off the house right away.

One thing to note, we have a super insulated 900 sq ft house (straw bale). We are NOT using our infloor radiant gas heat (we have it set to 45). Our stove is heating our whole house even on -26 mornings! This morning outside was -15, inside the house was 60 at 7am. We burned apple last night and had coals in the morning (8 hours). Also, we are cooking and baking on the surface of the stove - HOW FUN!

WOOD STOVES ROCK! Thanks!

Awesome Jaquith, great stove. I'm glad you're happy. Post some pictures soon if you can.

Kudos on the straw bale house, did you folks build it yourselves?

I didnt know apple grew at 9500' :)
Glad you like the stove, you need it on days like today. It was -3 at my house and the wind was blowing snow completey horizontal... YUK.

BeGreen said:
Awesome Jaquith, great stove. I'm glad you're happy. Post some pictures soon if you can.

yes congrats on the house could you post pics of the stove and the house

I think this is the stove - she sent me a pic......

really nice looking installation - I really like the raised platform.

Attachments

• jotul3blue.jpg
    jotul3blue.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 853
Yes - that is our little stove! Here is picture of the house - it stucco then sided with board and batt (required by our town although we fought them hard not to have to go the extra expense -oh well).

Attachments

• ourhouse in snow.jpg
    ourhouse in snow.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 753
Jaquith,

Your pictures are fantastic! I love your elevated stove and the pics of your house in the snow! I missed your other thread about where you are from. Please post more!!!

nice!
love the raised arrangement, havent seen that before. beautiful stove , i havent looked at the jotul that much , wew build plate steel rather than cast ( not picking they both have good points) , looks like a place i'd like but the wife would hate,( love board and batt ,just rustic as it gets ) im outdoorsy she aint lol. glad to see ya burning wood. you cant beat the heat, anyway , welcome to the forum , im sure you will like it , i have joined recently and am having a ball, great bunch in here.

Thanks for all of your posts. Mntstoveguy (forgot your name bad me) thanks for posting the thread links and for helping me out back when we were deliberating. BTW, we did not add the heat sheild behind the stove - not enough of a gain.

About the base, I am surprised that more people don't raise their stoves up on hearths. I think I saw one picture of a really rustic hearth somewhere with a big stove on it. IMO, this arrangement t is so much better than on the floor. I can't see any reason you wouldn't do this? Any input?

I had a vision of the stove off the floor and also needed to protect a thin stip of cherry wood embedded in the concret floor. So the base acts as a lower heat sheild. I store kindling under it (space of the escence in small house). I wanted to raise the stove for ease of operation and better viewing. Also, since I intend (and do) cook/bake on the stove top (using cast iron skillets and dutch ovens on a trivet) it is a much better height. I had it built so the top is counter height. Also, the dogs bed is close to the stove and this arrangement keeps the heat higher off the floor and hence the dog is more comfortable. We hung a nice simple pot rack above and to the left of the stove for hanging wet work/ski clothes. (I will post more pictures). The rack is sturdy and low profile. The system is working out swell.

I had more of the nice blue tile and had a iron base made. I have this light blue tile on a breakfast bar, bale window ledges and the kitchen along with mexican border and accent tiles- kind of a neomexican/sw look to the house. The blue is very fung shei - it balances the heat of the fire (blue=water). I wanted the back wall a dark color so the stove didn't "pop" as much so I went with Marine Blue. It looks like the color of the evening sky in the Canyon Lands of Utah. I love the black stove against the blue wall.

BTW - the apple is from Paonia. Sadly their apple orchards are not being replanted and as the age they are being replaced with grape vines. More profitable. My wood guy said people are calling him from all over CO for his wood. A cord of apple is expensive but well worth it if you want long burn times. We had one hefty cord delivered for $300. It out burns the pondi we got 2:1

I will post more pictures soon.

Thanks again for all of your responses. If you want a longer review of the stove please see my review record 1912 I think.

Valerie

BeGreen said:

Yes we did. I believe in embodied energy - meaning the energy that goes into the making or shaping of a thing is released over time. Straw sits in a field - sun, rain, wind, birds nesting, stars. It all comes out as vibrational energy. We are now surrounded by it! It just seems to make sense on a basic level. Then there is the fact that it is renewable, etc. Also a large part of our building materials came from local sources. The bales 90 miles, all of the framing and siding lumber harvested within 60 miles. We only used plywood when we had to, no OSB (no glues). Less shipping, less processing, just simple basic materials from nearby. It all matters doesn't it?

NOW we get to burn local wood! Next year we will make the time and harvest the pine ourselves. This year, we had to order and have it delivered. That will just make it all the more fun! The getting of the wood is as rewarding as sitting in front of the fire it makes.

Valerie

hi val,
i loved the install, beautiful , your explanations meke a lot of sense. beautiful country up there i intend to see it in about 10 years when i retire (sigh), anyway i was reallytickled when i saw how mountain was working with you in the threads posted before , he deserves some credit because of his work with you, be sure and talk him up to the neighbors( although you may have to phone looking at your location. i enjoyed reading the whole string though and looking at the result apparantly it worked out for you. would love to see what you guys look at when you sip coffee in the morning must be spectacular from your porch.

warmest reagards ( best closing a stove builder can use :) )

mike esw

Very nice!!! I like the raised hearth too.

Jaquith said:
BeGreen said:

Yes we did. I believe in embodied energy - meaning the energy that goes into the making or shaping of a thing is released over time. Straw sits in a field - sun, rain, wind, birds nesting, stars. It all comes out as vibrational energy.

Er, yeh, you guys must be loaded (or more likely your parents are).

senorFrog said:
Jaquith said:
BeGreen said:

Yes we did. I believe in embodied energy - meaning the energy that goes into the making or shaping of a thing is released over time. Straw sits in a field - sun, rain, wind, birds nesting, stars. It all comes out as vibrational energy.

On the floor. Looking at the ceiling. Laughing various body parts off.

Nice install love the raised hearth setup. MSG a job well done. Really like the home and its setting

BrotherBart said:
senorFrog said:
Jaquith said:
BeGreen said:

On the floor. Looking at the ceiling. Laughing various body parts off.

glad you got a good laugh today.

Status
Not open for further replies.