We may have found winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Just a bit ago a winter storm watch has been posted for our area. 4-7" of snow possible tomorrow night and Friday. Maybe we'll have some winter after all.

Got your plow ready?
I bet it don't last long, getting more heat from the sun every day now.
Hope your travels are done before it hits. :)

We had 3 to 4" yesterday, next sunny day should help melt the driveway.
33° & cloudy, some cold air moving our way.
Iron Dog leaders are in Nome. Anchorage Fur Rendezvous starts this week end. Iditarod next month. Sure signs that winter is almost over :)

bogydave said:
Got your plow ready?
I bet it don't last long, getting more heat from the sun every day now.

I was hoping I wouldn't need the plow this winter, but the 2" we got a couple of weeks ago all blew into 2' drifts in my driveway. Then I took it off Monday >:-(

And yep, 40s next week.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just a bit ago a winter storm watch has been posted for our area. 4-7" of snow possible tomorrow night and Friday. Maybe we'll have some winter after all.

Looks like we might get some also, they are calling for 4 - 6 in our area with more coming in on the weekend....still not sure how much on the weekend on top of the 4-6

Zap

Did you get snow or did it warm up & come as rain.
Rain messy but less work, wet snow is the worst.
We got 2" more, dry easy to plow stuff.
Snowing now, :(

Rain coming here.

Call for 4-6 here as well. That depends on the mood of the lake and wind. I'm just happy that I needed to wear a jacket today. A little nip in the air.

We got 2-3 inches of wet stuff overnight! Yahoo!

Woke up to somewhere between 1" and 2" this am. Should be washed away by rain and mid 40s temps. It looked nice though.

Sorry I haven't been on the forum because of Internet problems.

This morning I pushed around about 5" of the albino rain. Looks like it is still done even though this morning they said another 3-7" for today. That was a joke as when I looked at the radar we could see the end of the snow was just a few miles west of us. Sometimes those fools at the weather office make you wonder. Methinks they've gone the way of the television. That it, try to make mountains our of mole hills. Build it up to sound terrible. Put a scare into people. Instead, most just laugh at their stupidity. Better to tell it like it is rather than making a fool of themselves.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry I haven't been on the forum because of Internet problems.

This morning I pushed around about 5" of the albino rain. Looks like it is still done even though this morning they said another 3-7" for today. That was a joke as when I looked at the radar we could see the end of the snow was just a few miles west of us. Sometimes those fools at the weather office make you wonder. Methinks they've gone the way of the television. That it, try to make mountains our of mole hills. Build it up to sound terrible. Put a scare into people. Instead, most just laugh at their stupidity. Better to tell it like it is rather than making a fool of themselves.

Looks like it may hang around a while. A bit colder there at night.
Hopefully some sunny days & it'll be gone :)
Did the wind show up yet?

To snow off & on here all week, few inches at a time. 6" of new stuff in the past 3 days.
for you folks who forgot what winter looks like:

Attachments

• 100_7236.jpg
    100_7236.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 280
Well I tried to turn that storm either towards you Dave or to Ohio. Guess it didn't work.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well I tried to turn that storm either towards you Dave or to Ohio. Guess it didn't work.

Well, I'm glad it didn't go to Ohio, that's where I go tomorrow. One of my bosses called at 6am today wanting to know if I could take a route out because the driver called off and they didn't have anybody else, and they would cover my weekend route. Six hours late to Saginaw and Midland, in the sloppy snow. Ummm, no.

Backwoods Savage said:

I'd be happy to have a little winter down here. I've all but given on it.

Dennis, it must have started after I went to bed last night cuz we had a couple inches down when I got up this morning. Been snowing all day, and it's not done yet.
Only about 4" total as far as I can tell.......so far. I knew we weren't done yet despite the warmer temps.

Around 5" here overnight,after 1/4" rain yesterday afternoon.33 & sun today,49 expected on Sunday with mid 30's next week.Good chance of rain/snow mix on Tuesday. Just 20" snow total since early November so far,normal is around 35".

I just posted in another thread about the same subject. Sorry about that Backwoods Savage. Didn't mean to steal your topic there. :lol: We just got about 4" of heavy, wet snow. Now it is 35 and raining. Hope it all melts away. I was enjoying a little work in the woods with no snow on the ground.

[quote author="loon" date="1330149621"]We finally got some today ;-)

She looks good in the snow Loon. We had about 4 inches of snow today, raining pretty good at the moment.

zap

It is snowing very hard here.....god I love it. I need to get a cup of coffee and sit by the window.

My Wheaten goes crazy when it snows...all those nice fresh scents to track....and he loves the cold. 30 below he comes in a few times a day to warm up in front of the stove. This has been a disappointing winter for him...but a lot easier on me re paw cleaning. By the third time a day I break out the pot of hot water...or worse, get fed up and out him in the tub...he isn't too enthusiastic. Also, biggest boon: deep snow = no tics. I HATE tics. None until a few years ago. They are getting to be an awful problem. Wish I could afford to put deer fencing around my acreage. And as of two years ago we have Lyme Disease ....Seeing the picture of your beautiful contented dog got me thinking about my pup, loon. Which lake are you on (assumption because of "loon")? I'm in NY now, headed back North in a few days. We had rain, and have had heavy wind since last night. But only saw a few flakes mixed in with the rain. One shovelling event this year in SE NYS. Little more in Canada. But some pretty fierce ice there.

Where in SE NY? Sounds like my weather today in NYC and it's 'burbs.

We have a spot north of Kingston rideau, which is called Loon Lake ;-)

And the ticks have been horrible around here also.We have to use 'Revolution' and it was right up to late fall last year.

Here is Murphy a couple years ago.

DSC_0234-1.jpg

And Buddy Emma and i checking on the place a few weeks back.

DSC00227-1.jpg

DSC00231-2.jpg

Lower westchester--yes, I've noticed you are close. Wish it was viable to put a PH in this old Victorian. Have an 1894 Burnham coal -originally-now converted to oil burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.