We need business cards for this forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
Within the last 3 days I had two conversations that left me thinking I should hand out business cards with this forum's URL on them....

On Sunday, a guy my wife was chatting to at work about my wood burning addiction stopped by the house to see our FXP 44 and my wood stacks. This guy has been burning wood since the 70's, nice guy but a bit of a know it all type. He see's my wood stacks and tells me he doesnt have the desire to put all that effort into storing, he just takes his tractor out to standing dead oaks, cuts and splits there then brings the wood right to his porch. Cut/Split/Burn as I go. I careful ask how it burns and he says just fine....hmmm, I say to him that I have some oak from a standing dead I cut split a year ago that isnt seasoned yet. He looks at me like I have 3 heads..... the conversation goes on and he mentioned that he cleaned his chimny last year and took out a few GARBAGE cans worth of creasote. HOLY CRAP - I told him he was going to burn his house down. I didnt want to be rude to the guy and there was now telling him that he was NUTS.

Today, I was having a new garage door installed. My son was working with a good friend who had a couple side jobs today to cut up some down trees from last weeks snow storm. His saw was out of commission so he borrowed mine. After the first house ( a pine down a embakement and not worth trucking out) he stopped by the house. He said the next job was a red cedar and asked if I wanted the wood. I said of course. The guy doing the garage work almost laid an egg hearing that - you cant burn that in the house, you will certainly have a chimmeny fire, etc.... He said he has been burning for years and would never burn softwoods. I tried to explain that as long as its seasoned its fine but he would not accept it at all.

Rather than argue,I felt handing them the URL and letting you all at them would be most effective .... LOL

Got Wood said:
The guy doing the garage work almost laid an egg hearing that - you cant burn that in the house, you will certainly have a chimmeny fire, etc.... He said he has been burning for years and would never burn softwoods. I tried to explain that as long as its seasoned its fine but he would not accept it at all.

I find with these people it's best to ask them what they think the people out west and our friends to the north burn.

rdust said:
Got Wood said:
The guy doing the garage work almost laid an egg hearing that - you cant burn that in the house, you will certainly have a chimmeny fire, etc.... He said he has been burning for years and would never burn softwoods. I tried to explain that as long as its seasoned its fine but he would not accept it at all.

I find with these people it's best to ask them what they think the people out west and our friends to the north burn.

that is what i tell them also and it usually shuts them up real fast.

I keep my mouth shut and load the softwoods in the trailer while nodding my head when they make sure it is just for the fire pit. Keeps the house warm and saves the good stuff for when you need it.

Yes, it is really strange what some folks think about this wood burning. Some folks you can educate; some you cannot. All you can do is humor them.

i like the card idea.

I've had those for a car forum I was on for a while (recently sold that car). We called them "Spotter" cards. When you spotted another Suzuki Aerio, it was your duty to chase them down and awkwardly explain the forum whilst they looked at you like you were a crazy man. Then you usually went back to the forum and mentioned that you handed out another card and "hopefully an owner from Iowa who drives a red '04 will be stopping by!" (or you could just stick it under a windshield wiper and run away before they saw you....

I'd totally be willing to sneak some into mailboxes, under wipers of trucks with fully loaded beds, and taped to the front door of anybody around with a shiny chimney hinting at a you-know-what inside or a nicely stacked pile of firewood outside!

Got Wood said:
...nice guy but a bit of a know it all type...

Oh gosh...don't give this URL to people like that! We've worked so hard to keep these forums free of them. %-P Rick

fossil said:
Got Wood said:

Oh gosh...don't give this URL to people like that! We've worked so hard to keep these forums free of them. %-P Rick

I'm pretty sure that when people ask me about firewood - I'm THAT guy. Can I still stay??

Jags said:
fossil said:
Got Wood said:

I'm pretty sure that when people ask me about firewood - I'm THAT guy. Can I still stay??

Funny to hear you say that... when my son over heard me talking to the "garage door guy" about it being ok to burn softwoods he said to my wife "dad wasnt always this way, what happened?". I'm usually pretty laid back but I guess I was getting a little excited in my conversation.... LOL

Got Wood said:
..... the conversation goes on and he mentioned that he cleaned his chimny last year and took out a few GARBAGE cans worth of creasote.

You sure he wasn't just goofing on you?

I'm pretty sure you couldn't stuff even one garbage can worth of creosote inside an average chimney. And I don't know how it could get that way in the first place since the flue would have stopped drawing long before it got even close to full. Maybe if he had a huge masonry chimney with a cavernous flue it might be possible, but then his creosote problem would likely be stemming from the oversized flue itself, and not necessarily the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.