1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

We reached 50 again today, but then....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Backwoods Savage, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    The temperature was supposed to rise a lot yesterday but didn't. However, it did through the night. We just let the stove go out. By around 10:00 it was 50 degrees. After noon we had to go to town, about 25 miles one way. We could tell the temperature was beginning to drop and it kept raining off and on. As we got back into the car to come home I noticed the wind was getting a bit chilly. Looked at the temperature and it was down go 40. When we got home, the temperature was already down to 37. It is still falling but the forecast says no big cold coming. Supposed to be relatively warm, in the 30's most of the week. Another January thaw?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cwill

cwill Member

Loc:
    W. MI
    Same here. Only we had thunderstorms for awhile last night. January thaw? It's gotta get and stay cold for a while to have a thaw. Its 34 rainy and windy right now.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Hey Dennis! The cold weather that visited me last week has ended, also. The highs today were in the 20's! The job site was much more bearable and we got a good chunk done today...just about ran out of parts!
    The weather for the remainder of the week is supposed to be mild. Today, it seemed like half of the schools in the u.p. were closed-at least towards the eastern half of the u.p. anyway.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

We hit 44 today with rain, driveways are all ice, looks like it's time to start wearing some spikes on the boots.

zap
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

The wind right now s rediculas! We have major gusts and our very solid front door is shaking at times as well as the windows. It is whistling off the side of the house and the cumbuster in the stove sounds like a super sonic jet at times lol. It hasn't affected the burn yet however it is built like a tank.

Pete
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'm thankful the temperature is not down around zero. That would make that wind much worse!
  7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Amen to that! My fear is that winter will get here in March. Time will tell. A C
  8. fredarm

fredarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass
    56 degrees in beautiful downtown Boston, Mass. today. Is this January or April??
  9. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    We have Spring flowers out in villages round here, including daffodils and and few camelias.

I'm not complaining about the mild weather, it is saving people a fortune on gas and oil.

My wood stack isn't going down much either ;-)

More important is the lush green grass, which means our farmers can get cattle out to pasture early, a big bonus as last Summer we had such dry weather the hay crop was reduced and we were looking at severe shortages......
  10. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Couple weeks ago I saw some dandelions start to sprout by the woodshed - seriously. Then we had a couple nights of single digits, 5 in of snow and today its 54F and the snow is gone.

Weekend is supposed to cool a bit back down to the 20s/30s.