We wood burners are a different breed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I am a member of many forums-one of which is about overland, vehicle dependent travel-basically traveling and living out of your vehicle for days, weeks, or months at a time. The folks on there range from people like me planning a short excursion to the logging roads of the Great North Woods in Maine to guys who own F-550 based 4x4 campers who make months long treks across the Arctic Circle, etc...anyway, I was looking for information on Ford Super Duty Crew Cabs since once little ones come along I will need to trade in the regular cab F-350 for a four door (better for overland travel ;) ). I had stated that I'm definitely staying with the 350 and a longbed for firewood hauling purposes, to which I got this response:

Do you think you will really load 4200 lbs of firewood? My car does not weigh that much (not even close) would not fit in the bed and I am sure my car has a higher density than wood... I guess it does not matter much in the used market, but you might be able to save a few dollars, and get a 250. I am willing to bet you could haul a full bed of wood in a long bed 150 and not be at maximum capacity.

If you need the axtra capacity for towing a fifth wheels or gooseneck, then cool, but for wood in it bed most any truck will do.

(sorry if I am missing something)...

I replied with this chart. I think that says it all ;)

No, many wood burners have the same mentality.
I pull into wood customers driveways on a daily basis with a truck that weighs 60,000-80,000 lbs AND looks it.
The response I get in regards to the dumping location almost always is " Go around the house across the septic system and dump behind the flower bed at the back corner of the property". That's when the property damage waiver comes out of the clip board. This usually results in dumping " just off the drive".

:lol: I can just picture Lee backing over the septic tank with a full load of logs. :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
:lol: I can just picture Lee backing over the septic tank with a full load of logs. :lol:

Around here in the summer you can usualLEE see where the tank is. Settled spot in the ground or different type of grass growing over tank. The first thing I ask if it's a place I've never been is "where's your tank". Never backed across one on purpose but I have a leach bed in the dry of summer. I just bump the air pressure in the tag axle to spread the weight a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.