Weak dollar affecting Canadian pellet prices here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
Is the weaker U.S. dollar and stronger Canadian currency having an effect on the prices of pellets we import from Canada? I've seen some stories on how the stronger "loonie" is making profits tougher for Christmas trees imported here, but that's a November-December business and pellets for stoves must be different. I'm wondering what the dollar differences mean for future pellet prices in Spring 2010.

I don't intend this question as an invitation to rant about government policy, free trade, capitalism, or the like. It's not an idle question either. The background is that I'm trying to decide if I should expect to do most of my pellet buying in spring/early summer every year.

1. Would that post-season purchase be a good practice over several years, regardless of currency fluctuations of dollar values for the two countries?
2. Assuming a small purchase of four tons, are the currency differences not that significant for an individual consumer like me?

Background story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10/19/business/econwatch/entry5396976.shtml

The Uncle Jed's I use are a Canadian product and the price this year is slightly cheaper than last season...

Early spring buy usually saves you money. This year has been different, prices seem to be lower heading into prime heating season than they were in April/may.

Here on PEI a bag is close to $1.00 more than it was last year (August)

Status
Not open for further replies.