Wear your chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Dont be stupid like me wear your chaps. hit my leg with my ms460 got part of the bone cutting an exit root from a tree i was felling. No surgery no major deal some stitches no major arteries nerves or tendons. What a stupid rookie move i made using the saw. Some downtime and a whole lot of hurt pride but coulda been alot worse. Hurts like heck though. Trust me you look down and see some bone it will get your attention fast.

I got pick of some cut up chaps. Glad it was the chaps and not a leg. Glad it wasnt worse. Keep'em on and up! No-one cuts with me with out them................

Attachments

• zzzzz.jpg
    zzzzz.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 742
Think im gonna buy a new updatted set any recomendations.

The ~6 year Stihl chaps I have tend to rotate on my legs, exposing the inside, which can't be good. I'm kinda looking for new ones as well.
Good to hear you're pretty much okay.

oilstinks said:
Think im gonna buy a new updatted set any recomendations.

Lots of good one's and 6 ply will stop a 460 in a Milli second! (Not really a bad set out there) I have a nice scar across my right knee cap! ;-) I was under 18 when that happened.
The worst part is it rips ever-thing apart. DR. said my modeling career was over..Made me feel a little better.

I got a set of Husquvarna Blue ones , Are they all the same concept and material or are the rated different???

estang said:
I got a set of Husquvarna Blue ones , Are they all the same concept and material or are the rated different???

6 or 9 plys is the only differences. After seeing one in action it never got through one ply.

yes, love to see some pix of the stitches. (It's almost halloween, afterall!).

Might be a good warning for the moderators to post in the various forums.

I wear chaps every time I cut. Even if it's just a couple of branches in the backyard. I make sure that my kids see me putting on all of the PPE- think it's a good example for them.

What is a good set that won't heat you up too much? How about break the bank?

I've tried at least 5 different brands--even a pair of $100+ Elvex.

I really like the Labonville Full-Wrap chaps (6-ply). They are not the least expensive but certainly aren't the most expensive. You get good quality for the money. The 10-ply Labonville Competition chaps are too hot and inflexible for me.

freeburn said:
What is a good set that won't heat you up too much? How about break the bank?

Stihl 6 ply around 60 bucks and I know they work...lol

TreePointer said:

I really like the Labonville Full-Wrap chaps (6-ply). They are not the least expensive but certainly aren't the most expensive. You get good quality for the money. The 10-ply Labonville Competition chaps are too hot and inflexible for me.
I too use the Labonville, mine are the type that wrap the lower leg and front pannel on top. I require them for ground guys unless they choose not to, then they are not my employee...

RNLA said:
TreePointer said:

I too use the Labonville, mine are the type that wrap the lower leg and front pannel on top. I require them for ground guys unless they choose not to, then they are not my employee...

What part are you referring to? High on the leg where your going to take it. Ankle with a long bar or short is not going to happen. Unless your a log walker. Lots wear them at half calf.

Bought my 76yr old neighbor some a few yrs back and he has almost worn his out. NOT FROM WEARING! If you get my drift.

smokinjay said:
RNLA said:
TreePointer said:

What part are you referring to? High on the leg where your going to take it. Ankle with a long bar or short is not going to happen. Unless your a log walker. Lots wear them at half calf.
Mine look similar to your avitar, but when I have them on the bottom wraps almost all the way around my lower leg... May be I'm a stick figure...

RNLA said:
smokinjay said:
RNLA said:
TreePointer said:

Mine look similar to your avitar, but when I have them on the bottom wraps almost all the way around my lower leg... May be I'm a stick figure...

lol, the fast guys and the climber always are....

smokinjay said:
estang said:

6 or 9 plys is the only differences. After seeing one in action it never got through one ply.

I'm not a lawyer, and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but ...
there's no guarantee (none given in writing) that chaps will protect you from all injury. They will buy you a few milliseconds and reduce injury.

Once they are "used" they should be replaced. Much cheaper than microsurgery to reattach stuff.

CTYank said:
smokinjay said:
estang said:

I'm not a lawyer, and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but ...
there's no guarantee (none given in writing) that chaps will protect you from all injury. They will buy you a few milliseconds and reduce injury.

Once they are "used" they should be replaced. Much cheaper than microsurgery to reattach stuff.

This means what? You have a sewing machine? lol

I will try to to take a pick next time i change the dressing. This wrap and walking stiff legged makes me feel like i got a charlie horse on my calf or the day after a nighttime cramp.

I use Labonville's as they are made in the US and have a good reputation. They do have sales on occasion but I think they are at the stores not the internet. Be aware that they are sized for short loggers. I am 5'10 and use a size tall. The recomendation is to have then hang down over the boot. The required federal standards have increased over the years and the current ones are heavier but rated for faster saws. I plan to rig up some suspenders on mine as they do tend to slide down when moving about.

I bought my first pair (Stihl, of course) last year. About the end of the season, I got Urushinol on them. First time in my life. People say you cant get it in the winter. You can. Trying to decide if I should chance the itchies with wearing the old ones this year, or get new ones. :long:

smokinjay said:
Momma said my modeling career was over when I was born
That's abit harsh. I'm thinkin there a magazine somewhere that would give you a shot . . .

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
Momma said my modeling career was over when I was born
That's abit harsh. I'm thinkin there a magazine somewhere that would give you a shot . . .

Moma likes to keep it real! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.