1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wear your chaps

Post in 'The Gear' started by oilstinks, Oct 27, 2011.

1. oilstinks

oilstinks Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western NC
    Dont be stupid like me wear your chaps. hit my leg with my ms460 got part of the bone cutting an exit root from a tree i was felling. No surgery no major deal some stitches no major arteries nerves or tendons. What a stupid rookie move i made using the saw. Some downtime and a whole lot of hurt pride but coulda been alot worse. Hurts like heck though. Trust me you look down and see some bone it will get your attention fast.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I got pick of some cut up chaps. Glad it was the chaps and not a leg. Glad it wasnt worse. Keep'em on and up! No-one cuts with me with out them................

Attached Files:

3. oilstinks

Loc:
    western NC
    Think im gonna buy a new updatted set any recomendations.
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    The ~6 year Stihl chaps I have tend to rotate on my legs, exposing the inside, which can't be good. I'm kinda looking for new ones as well.
    Good to hear you're pretty much okay.
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Lots of good one's and 6 ply will stop a 460 in a Milli second! (Not really a bad set out there) I have a nice scar across my right knee cap! ;-) I was under 18 when that happened.
    The worst part is it rips ever-thing apart. DR. said my modeling career was over..Made me feel a little better.
  6. curber

curber Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    south east idaho
    lets see the scar!! Pat only if its not xxx!!!
  7. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    I got a set of Husquvarna Blue ones , Are they all the same concept and material or are the rated different???
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    6 or 9 plys is the only differences. After seeing one in action it never got through one ply.
  9. jdinspector

jdinspector Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern IL
    yes, love to see some pix of the stitches. (It's almost halloween, afterall!).

Might be a good warning for the moderators to post in the various forums.

I wear chaps every time I cut. Even if it's just a couple of branches in the backyard. I make sure that my kids see me putting on all of the PPE- think it's a good example for them.
  10. freeburn

freeburn Feeling the Heat

What is a good set that won't heat you up too much? How about break the bank?
  11. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I've tried at least 5 different brands--even a pair of $100+ Elvex.

I really like the Labonville Full-Wrap chaps (6-ply). They are not the least expensive but certainly aren't the most expensive. You get good quality for the money. The 10-ply Labonville Competition chaps are too hot and inflexible for me.
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Stihl 6 ply around 60 bucks and I know they work...lol
  13. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

I too use the Labonville, mine are the type that wrap the lower leg and front pannel on top. I require them for ground guys unless they choose not to, then they are not my employee...
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    What part are you referring to? High on the leg where your going to take it. Ankle with a long bar or short is not going to happen. Unless your a log walker. Lots wear them at half calf.
  15. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    Bought my 76yr old neighbor some a few yrs back and he has almost worn his out. NOT FROM WEARING! If you get my drift.
  16. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

Mine look similar to your avitar, but when I have them on the bottom wraps almost all the way around my lower leg... May be I'm a stick figure...
  17. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    lol, the fast guys and the climber always are....
  18. CTYank

CTYank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW CT
    I'm not a lawyer, and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but ...
    there's no guarantee (none given in writing) that chaps will protect you from all injury. They will buy you a few milliseconds and reduce injury.

Once they are "used" they should be replaced. Much cheaper than microsurgery to reattach stuff.
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    This means what? You have a sewing machine? lol
  20. oilstinks

Loc:
    western NC
    I will try to to take a pick next time i change the dressing. This wrap and walking stiff legged makes me feel like i got a charlie horse on my calf or the day after a nighttime cramp.
  21. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I use Labonville's as they are made in the US and have a good reputation. They do have sales on occasion but I think they are at the stores not the internet. Be aware that they are sized for short loggers. I am 5'10 and use a size tall. The recomendation is to have then hang down over the boot. The required federal standards have increased over the years and the current ones are heavier but rated for faster saws. I plan to rig up some suspenders on mine as they do tend to slide down when moving about.
  22. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

I bought my first pair (Stihl, of course) last year. About the end of the season, I got Urushinol on them. First time in my life. People say you cant get it in the winter. You can. Trying to decide if I should chance the itchies with wearing the old ones this year, or get new ones. :long:
  23. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Can't you wash them?
  24. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

That's abit harsh. I'm thinkin there a magazine somewhere that would give you a shot . . .
  25. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Moma likes to keep it real! ;-)