WEAR YOUR SAFETY GEAR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt1

Nov 8, 2009
Central, Ok.
Today while cutting in the woods I stopped to move a piece of wood,I released the trigger on the saw and just before the chain totally stopped a small sapling that was trapped under a log came lose and struck the end of the bar knocking the still moving chain into my thigh. I felt a small tug on my chaps, and looked down to see some streemers about 4 inches long coming out of my chaps. I was not touched,although the damage to the chaps was just a couple of streamers,and some knicked nylon,I will replace them as soon as possible. $ 50.00 or so is a lot cheaper than any injury no matter how small. I have been useing a chain saw for about 30 years and this is my first mishap, I only started useing safety gear last year , and that was because of this forum and the advise of others here. I have been cheacking locally for a helmet with a visor and hearing protectors and have been unable to locate any,they are always out. Sooooo I told my wife for Christmas go to baileys online and get me some new chaps,and a helmet. Then go to Missouri Bullet company and order me 1000 bullets. I hope I get both.

Glad that your ok, I cut for one year before getting chaps,helmet,gloves and shirt.

zap

M said:
Today while cutting in the woods I stopped to move a piece of wood,I released the trigger on the saw and just before the chain totally stopped a small sapling that was trapped under a log came lose and struck the end of the bar knocking the still moving chain into my thigh. I felt a small tug on my chaps, and looked down to see some streemers about 4 inches long coming out of my chaps. I was not touched,although the damage to the chaps was just a couple of streamers,and some knicked nylon,I will replace them as soon as possible. $ 50.00 or so is a lot cheaper than any injury no matter how small. I have been useing a chain saw for about 30 years and this is my first mishap, I only started useing safety gear last year , and that was because of this forum and the advise of others here. I have been cheacking locally for a helmet with a visor and hearing protectors and have been unable to locate any,they are always out. Sooooo I told my wife for Christmas go to baileys online and get me some new chaps,and a helmet. Then go to Missouri Bullet company and order me 1000 bullets. I hope I get both.

Another PPE : training.

That tiny small sapling is called a "spring pole". It's part of the Game of Logging and CLP training regimen.
A trapped sapling if not freed correctly and safely, has 100's of pounds and speed to kill. You're fortunate.

Learn how to 'free' and recognise spring poles when felling. One felled tree can trap many of those poles; especially dangerous in blowdowns.

Glad the chaps did their job!

I too had cut for many years without PPE. This site and a lawyer friend who loaned me a set got me to thinking and I wear them now.

I picked up the Husky integrated helmet/mesh visor/hearing protectors, as well. You know, I actually kind of like using it. It is nice not to have stuff flying in your face. The helmet provides some shade, and the hearing protectors are not too bad in the heat. The reduction in noise does help slow down the fatigue during a long day. I think I am hooked on PPE...

Battenkiller said:
fjord said:
Learn how to 'free' and recognise spring poles when felling. One felled tree can trap many of those poles; especially dangerous in blowdowns.
Here's a link to Tim Ard's tips for loggers, taken from the GOL course:
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/forestry/timber_harvest/logging_chain_safety.html
There is one PDF called, "Managing Spring Poles" that covers this matter.

Yes, search can be your friend.

BUTT: you need to get out into the real world, into the forest. Set up spring poles, understand HOW to release them safely,......practice.

Online YouTubes, "tips" read, .pdf's are no substitute for reality. Get out. Do. Get time in the field clearing blowdowns after a storm.

In the GOL program, "Managing Spring Poles is a good 2 hours of training, practice, handling mistakes.

fjord said:
Battenkiller said:
fjord said:
Here's a link to Tim Ard's tips for loggers, taken from the GOL course:
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/forestry/timber_harvest/logging_chain_safety.html
There is one PDF called, "Managing Spring Poles" that covers this matter.

Yes, search can be your friend.

BUTT: you need to get out into the real world, into the forest. Set up spring poles, understand HOW to release them safely,......practice.

Online YouTubes, "tips" read, .pdf's are no substitute for reality. Get out. Do. Get time in the field clearing blowdowns after a storm.

In the GOL program, "Managing Spring Poles is a good 2 hours of training, practice, handling mistakes.

Is there still people using pole pushs?

fjord said:
you need to get out into the real world, into the forest. Set up spring poles, understand HOW to release them safely,......practice.

I don't think anyone here believes that a Google search is the same as first-hand experience, but it's better to read how to do it first than to just go out and guess and figure it wrong.... maybe very wrong.

You've been following enough recent threads to realize that several of us in NY are trying to get together a GOL Level 1 class. We cannot speed this along, there is much demand and only one trainer in our area. I'm set for wood, so I can wait until spring if I have to. In fact, the only real reason for me to take the course is along the lines of exercising my civic duty in case of a natural (or man-made) disaster. I have a couple reliable and useful saws now, so if I am ever called upon to use them to help others, hopefully I won't get those folks killed in the process.

Battenkiller said:
fjord said:
you need to get out into the real world, into the forest. Set up spring poles, understand HOW to release them safely,......practice.

I don't think anyone here believes that a Google search is the same as first-hand experience, but it's better to read how to do it first than to just go out and guess and figure it wrong.... maybe very wrong.

You've been following enough recent threads to realize that several of us in NY are trying to get together a GOL Level 1 class. We cannot speed this along, there is much demand and only one trainer in our area. I'm set for wood, so I can wait until spring if I have to. In fact, the only real reason for me to take the course is along the lines of exercising my civic duty in case of a natural (or man-made) disaster. I have a couple reliable and useful saws now, so if I am ever called upon to use them to help others, hopefully I won't get those folks killed in the process.

Can't agree with that. There are too many posts based on internet reality, not on real time, on-the-ground experience and knowledge.
Add to that a need for the macho as in " ...look at my long bar, my big, powerful saw..." that most have no need to use anywhere. Or, why use PPE.
Too many hurt and angry posts attacking anyone contradicting this Google experience. Interesting to go back over many many posts from the posters most online.
Examples are just too common.

Going through the posts, it is obvious that most barely use wood stoves for anything other than entertainment heating with their central furnaces set at 65 F. Not unusual. Yet there are the instant experts in wood stoves and chainsaws who have used them maybe a year or two.

Best of success getting the GOL program going. You'll discover how valuable it is.

fjord said:
Battenkiller said:
fjord said:

Can't agree with that. There are too many posts based on internet reality, not on real time, on-the-ground experience and knowledge.
Add to that a need for the macho as in " ...look at my long bar, my big, powerful saw..." that most have no need to use anywhere. Or, why use PPE.
Too many hurt and angry posts attacking anyone contradicting this Google experience. Interesting to go back over many many posts from the posters most online.
Examples are just too common.

Going through the posts, it is obvious that most barely use wood stoves for anything other than entertainment heating with their central furnaces set at 65 F. Not unusual. Yet there are the instant experts in wood stoves and chainsaws who have used them maybe a year or two.

Best of success getting the GOL program going. You'll discover how valuable it is.

Now your a mind reader and are using your computer screen as a crystal ball looking into the daiLEE activities of people on Hearth.
I love it!!!!
Hearth might as well shut down and posters will send emails directLEE to you for the correct answer.
Get the eF over yourself and off your judgmental high horse. There IS a ton of experience and knowledge here.

I am far from a pro but I always wear chaps.... I admit to never wearing glasses but I think that is about to change as well..

Anyway one of the strangest feelings I have ever felt was a chain slowing down on my leg...I was real tired you know how we tell everyone to stop when they are to tired well I would lose my job o and it was like 100 out..Well I cut a tree and as it fell I laid the saw on my left leg and there it was I could feel tooth by tooth cutting into a brand new pair of Labonville chaps... Funny thing the chain was so sharp that it just cut threw the green outer layer and no stuffing came out....

Always wear your chaps.........

Let's face it people, fjord is the only one here being safe. The rest of us are just juggling our running saws (with over sized bars) as we whack down everything in site without the least regard to any type of safety. I think Lee pretty much hit it right on the head - "get over yourself" So +1 for Lee

M i am glad that your chaps did what they are designed to do for you.

Let the flame war start.......................................NOW!

And its amazing to me that I see so-called "experts," arborists and full-time tree cutters, cutting down trees and bucking them wearing no PPE at all. Not even hearing protection from the noise of the saw all day.

As in most professions, being trained and credentialed doesn't mean you're safe, and being formally untrained doesn't mean you're unsafe.

And I'm pretty sure most of us are not just firing up our stoves for entertainment.

dave11 said:
And I'm pretty sure most of us are not just firing up our stoves for entertainment.

Well, I am, and I'm getting pretty damn sick and tired of all that freakin' heat that keeps pouring off it. I'm switching to a fake electric fireplace so I can enjoy the ambiance without all the dang heat. :roll:

I like that most local loggers in my area use no safety gear at all. Most will remove everything off the saws including the break saying it gets in the way. I even know one that wears a ball cap while logging and has done so for about 40 years now. The guys that cut, skid, and stack it on the landing hate safety gear because it hinders there movement in the wood cutting down on time. I opted to have a nice helmet with screen and muff's and keep the safety gear on the saw for my short time figuring out that logging is not for me. Oh yea and when I say that I "like" that local loggers lack gear I don't really we have lost some nice people for stupid reasons.

Safetee frst--thow itss herd ti tipe woth aa helmut an gogles onnn.
Speaking of which, 'bert, I've been working on having my wife throw me a fourth saw to juggle but she keeps tripping on her dang clown shoes!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.