Weather delays new Tribute install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
I just got off the phone with our dealer/installer. We are going to watch the weather closely, but are expecting 6-8 inches tomorrow(Thurs) and the install is scheduled for Fri. If we see that kind of snow, they obviously can't get up on the roof to install the chimney. :down: Crossing fingers and knocking on wood.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Cross yours that my hubby will install our Tribute this season. Been sitting since last season - oye!

Are you having weather issues too?

No, just procrastination issues. And I don't like being a nag, but what's a fire loving girl to do? I guess I have to come up with some good incentives. Doh!

Just tell him that it's to cold to shed clothes, and that if it were warmer, then you could walk around the house in nothing but one of his shirts. ;-P
(Would work on me)

Weather update!!!

No snow yet! :bug: My installer is going to call in the morning to check on the local conditions before he drives the hour and a half to get here. We are praying for no snow or ice! :gulp: As of right now all is a go unless we see weather over night. If all goes well, this time tomorrow I will be posting pics of the new chimney, and Tribute, all set up, installed, and break in fire burning. :coolsmile:

Great news! Can't wait for the pics. Would like to know how she burns. How many square feet is the room/house?

Well......I don't know when we will get the stove delivered and installed now. I am told that while loading the truck to come down here the guys hired help slipped and fell, hurting his shoulder. As a result no install today. I called back this afternoon and talked to his wife about when we can install this,(and to find out how their hired hand is doing). She was talking next Friday, I told her that if they can make it Monday, I have the day off and will help with the heavy lifting and play the go for guy role. (Would it be out of line to ask for a discount on the install if that happens?) She said that she would talk it over with the installer(husband) and let me know what's what, and when they can do the install. I am totally depressed at this point! I planned to be burning by Christmas ! Now it won't even happen by New Years!

The house is a bungalow style with a full basement, just over 2000 ft2 in all. We have 1000 ft2 upstairs , but about half of that is partitioned off for bedrooms and the bathroom. We are planning to try to move enough heat into that area with fans, but may have to use space heaters in there. So I guess 500-800 ft2 would be a close guess. (Living room, dining room, and kitchen.) We have always used space heaters in the basement. (1 heating vent down there) Another stove for the basement is in the overall plan, but will be a couple years off I think. Lots more projects on the burners, so to speak.

Bummer. I'm glad there wasn't a serious injury. Was the stove damaged in any way? I would give it a very good looking over before signing the check.

The check is already signed. (I trust the guy. I hope my trust isn't misplaced! I trust my gut and my gut says this guy is a straight shooter. I guess we'll see.) I was told that the hired hand wasn't holding on to the stove when he fell, and that it is fine. I will be checking it out with a fine tooth comb before they leave, if and when they ever deliver and install. I guess the hired hand can go back to work Wed., but I am hoping they will come Monday and let me help with the lifting and act as go for. I am willing to help out to get this done! What do you think? Should I ask for a discount on the installation if I work along side with the lifting and what not? I am handy,(I built the hearth pad, and it turned out great, IMHO) but don't know much about the install procedure. (just what I have read here, but I guess that's more then the average Joe.) This place is awesome!

Oh man, so sorry to hear about the delay. Good thing the guy didn't have a 365lb. stove fall on him and he's going to be okay. Give a push on all the stones, top, bottom in and out and pay particular attention to the ceramic sheet above the burn tubes. I'll pray they can come on Monday, but in any event, post us some pics of your hearth pad to wet our whistles, okay?

This is the hearth pad I built. It has 2x4 framing, followed by 3/4 cdx with 5 layers of 5/16th Duroc with 1/8" thin-set between each layer, another 1/2 inch of thin-set (my floor wasn't totally level, my pad was perfect :coolsmile: ) and 1/4 inch ceramic tile. Trimmed in 1 x pine, and the pad trim painted with touch stone paint (I hope it matches the stove). The pad sits about 10 inches off the floor and the carpet comes up this next spring and the hardwood floors refinished!

Attachments

• 000_0009-30%.JPG
    000_0009-30%.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 317
Update........!

The dealer called and left a message that they will be down Friday the 4th. with all the "bells and whistles" to do the install. It better be worth all of this!! I am stating to wonder why I didn't do this myself...... Wait, never mind that, I know why. I don't know how, and my families safety is more important. I am driving my wife nuts, the heating oil is burning up, (read... about out,) and winter is getting cold.

When we started this, I was going to be burning before Christmas, then New Years, now on the forth?!

I am just so frustrated with all this, and there is very little I can do about it, short of canceling the job, and doing the install myself. Problem is I would have to go pick up the stove and chimney and then find the time to do it myself. (read... it would be faster to let them come on Friday.)

Sorry about my pitty party I am going to go sort my wood pile again. :smirk:

You probably could do it yourself, but would take a bit longer and the stove is heavy and the roof is way up high...it'll be in before you know it. Get lots of 1" kindling ready, that'll keep ya busy in the meantime. Take your time with the break in fires, you don't want your stones to get loose. Don't forget a couple of six packs for the guys and your new stove party!!

I could do the install but my insurance Co. wouldn't like it. He said that it wouldn't even bump my rates if I had a professional do the install. My dealer has all his licences and certifications, and I know he will do a great job. To tell the truth None of this is the dealers fault. Weather can't be controlled, and I wouldn't go up on an icy roof either. The guys hired hand getting hurt, well that was just a freak thing that happened. I'm just anxious and need to show some patience. It will all work out in the end. One way or the other. :coolsmirk:

Hi Jeffman -

You know, my ins. co. (Allstate) didn't care that I had a wood stove installed (didn't do it myself, hired someone). I called them today after the inspection-- though I've been running the stove 24/7 since 1/1/08-- and they said it didn't really matter, but they would make a 'note of it'. I was surprised. I thought they'd want to see the inspection report at least.

firegal

We live in a small community and we don't even have to do inspections. I called the village offices and asked about codes and such, and they literally laughed at me. I love living in small town USA!!! We are with State Farm, and they have been wonderful to work with. I saved over a thousand dollars a year when we switched to them. (we have all our policies with them)

The stove is coming... the stove is coming... They are going to finally do the install! The weather is great, the wood is cut, and the oil tank is nearing the bottom! (just in time!) I can't sleep, I feel like a kid at x-mas! I will post some pics as soon as I can! Damn the job! I will have to go to work before the install it is all done, but I will do my first break in burn when I get home at 11:30 (if the wife hasn't started it before I get home. I think she is just as excited as I am. :lol: ) Another break in fire Saturday morning, the third Saturday evening, and I should be burning full out by Sunday! Does that sound right to you?

Excellent. Yeah that stove probably takes longer to cool down so Sunday morning sounds about right. Congratulations! I hope to show hubby how much you're enjoying your new stove so we can get ours in. I'm so jealous :p

YEA!!!!!!!!!! :cheese:

New Tribute is in and first break in is done! We got the surface just warm to the touch, well maybe a bit more then that, but not hot. Allen (the dealer/installer) told me to make the second a bit hotter and the third a bit hotter yet. Does that sound right to you? I will post up pictures tomorrow if I can get my wife to help get them into the computer. (read... it is a technology thing!) This project has been a blast from front to back. We had some pit falls and delays, but it is all worth it now! Two more break in fires and, by Sunday I will be basking in the glow of warm, radiant, wood fire heat! :coolsmile:

I think I figured out how to do this. This is a picture of the new stove, and the first break in fire!

Attachments

• 100_0056stove30%.JPG
    100_0056stove30%.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 279
Thats a great looking stove, I like how everything matches the trim color on the stove. congrats, i bet you can't wait to get a rip roaring fire going.

Wow! It came out great. Doesn't it look just like a mini Heritage? Good luck with her.

I can't wait to put some wood to it and see what it will do!!!!! The break in thing is driving me nuts! I know be patient weed-hopper. I believe this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, and a great new lifestyle for us. (and it looks good too! :coolsmirk: ) but I still can't wait to fire this thing up for real. Two more break in fires today, and a full load of elm is on the schedule for tomorrow! I will post just how that goes.

jeffman3 said:
YEA!!!!!!!!!! :cheese:

New Tribute is in and first break in is done! We got the surface just warm to the touch, well maybe a bit more then that, but not hot. Allen (the dealer/installer) told me to make the second a bit hotter and the third a bit hotter yet. Does that sound right to you? I will post up pictures tomorrow if I can get my wife to help get them into the computer. (read... it is a technology thing!) This project has been a blast from front to back. We had some pit falls and delays, but it is all worth it now! Two more break in fires and, by Sunday I will be basking in the glow of warm, radiant, wood fire heat! :coolsmile:

Ya, that sounds right to me. My manual says to cure the stove with a few moderate fires. My first was just with a pile of kindling firing it up and let it go completely out. Second fire was a couple small splits, and the thrid was full load.

Your stove and hearth looks nice. Welcome to lower fuel bills!

Status
Not open for further replies.