Web based Fahrenheit to Celsius and Kelvin converter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
I'm a geek and as such, I'm constantly striving towards moving completely to metric and other scientific standards (even though I live in the US). I've built a web based converter so all of us can put in our lame ° F and find out how many awesome ° C or ° K it is.

http://www.thatraymond.com/ftock.php

Cool. Need to fix the button so it pushes when you hit the enter key, not just a mouse click.

Might as well put all the conversions out there too!

mayhem said:
Cool. Need to fix the button so it pushes when you hit the enter key, not just a mouse click.

Good point about the enter button, I'll work on that next time I have a few minutes to code. Not sure if I'll bother with the other conversions unless lots of folks here really want me to - I primarily made it for me as a quick reference.

**edit**
Enter key works for me on FireFox 9 / Win XP. What are you running for a browser and OS?

joecool85 said:
mayhem said:

Good point about the enter button, I'll work on that next time I have a few minutes to code. Not sure if I'll bother with the other conversions unless lots of folks here really want me to - I primarily made it for me as a quick reference.

**edit**
Enter key works for me on FireFox 9 / Win XP. What are you running for a browser and OS?

Worked for me on Chrome.

Works well from the few numbers I tried.

pen

I always have to Google up a C to F converter. I know what the temp is in F and when our Canuck friends talk about it in that C stuff is when I have to hustle. For some reason everything sounds colder in Celsius. :-S

I like the woodgrain.

Yeah, OK, now, since you have all that left over room on the page, add the capability to enter °C and have it convert to °F and Rankine. Rick

fossil said:
Yeah, OK, now, since you have all that left over room on the page, add the capability to enter °C and have it convert to °F and Rankine. Rick

I'm all for the °C --> °F and throwing Kelvin in the mix, but Rankine!!! Really? You need that???? :lol:

pen

pen said:
fossil said:

I'm all for the °C --> °F and throwing Kelvin in the mix, but Rankine!!! Really? You need that???? :lol:

pen

I need it every bit as much as I need Kelvin.

Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:
For some reason everything sounds colder in Celsius. :-S

Yeah, but their kilometers are kick-ass fast.

Yeah I know. Guy in a Mercedes taxi hauled my butt from a place in Leon France to the airport one day. I knew we were flying down the road but looking at that speedometer in kilos was made it even scarier.

Battenkiller said:
woodgeek said:
I like the woodgrain.

Yeah... Looks like Pergo wood.

Thanks, it's the same background I have for the rest of my site, thatraymond.com

As for adding in the ° C to ° F, I guess I might just have to since a few of you have asked.

joecool85 said:
mayhem said:

**edit**

Win 7 x64 and IE9, enter button clears the number entry box both with compatibility mode on and off. I get the same resul on an XP SP3 laptop running IE7 and IE8.

Works on my 7 box with Chrome 15 and Firefox (don't know the release of FF...I use it maybe once every 4-5 months to see if I like it or not, then shut it down and go back to IE).

This marks the very first time ever that I have seen any web function not work in IE but works in other browsers. Have to put in on my calendar.

mayhem said:
This marks the very first time ever that I have seen any web function not work in IE but works in other browsers. Have to put in on my calendar.

You must not be a web developer. I've seen it many times. I'll look into it, but I have a feeling it's a glitch with IE. I should be able to make a work-around.

I've added Celsius to Fahrenheit and Kelvin. I'm not going to add Kelvin to Fahrenheit to Celsius because it would add clutter and seriously, who uses Kelvin but doesn't know the Fahrenheit or Celsius equivalent already?

http://thatraymond.com/ftock.php

joecool85 said:
mayhem said:

You must not be a web developer. I've seen it many times. I'll look into it, but I have a feeling it's a glitch with IE. I should be able to make a work-around.

Wow there are sooooooo many things that work better in pretty much any other browser. Not to mention IE ranks dead last in nearly all speed tests.

jharkin said:
Wow there are sooooooo many things that work better in pretty much any other browser. Not to mention IE ranks dead last in nearly all speed tests.

Yeah, the only reason I even support IE is just due to the large number of corporate users and old people. Pretty much no one else uses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.