We'd better have some updates this season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
Okay, folks. We've had all sorts of switching going on during the summer. We've got Pen, e.g., going from a Fisher to an NC30. We've got Blaze King converts. We've got downdraft non-cats switching to Woodstocks. It's absolute madness up here, I tell ya!

Joking aside, I really hope everyone that made some sort of major/radical change over the summer will follow up and share updates with us when we really get into the meat of the heating season. It's hard to make a judgment call in shoulder season. Hell, 3 pine (zomg, pine!) splits will heat your house then, so that doesn't count.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I know I like to see the comparisions as well. All too often people don't update what has happened. So far things are good for me and I am REALLY pleased but I am waiting for some single digit temps and my first chimney cleaning after a while of burning before I give some really good feedback.

pen

I gotta say, those 30s look like serious heating machines. My dad still heats with a Fisher, so I'm really looking forward to how your heating season progresses. He's looking at his options now, but I'm guessing it will be next year before he pulls the trigger.

Pen, you need to update your signature!

fredarm said:
Pen, you need to update your signature!

Hmm, guess that'll be something to play with tonight. I forgot all about that!

Pen

I upgraded my wood furnace from a 1500 hotblast to a 1950 epa furnace (Caddy). I've had quite a few fires now, and everytime it amazes me! I'll know more when old man winter hits. I finally had a overnight fire 2 days ago, around 40 out. 2 halves from a 8 or 9" walnut log, and a 5" walnut round. Loaded it at 10:00pm and opened the damper. By 10:30 wood was charred well and I closed it down as far as it would go. I woke up next morning at 6:30am and there were 3 inches of coals in the firebox! Nice secondaries and plenty of heat throughout the night. Also the blower was running when I woke up, which I would have lost heat after 3 hours with the old furnace. I see why upgrading to an EPA model is well worth it. We may cut our wood consumption back as far as 50%. The only thing I wondered about was white coming from the chimney, but it dissapated within a few feet. Is this normal? Anyhow I'll post updates farther into the season, I'm just amazed!

Sometimes you'll basically see steam coming from the chimney as the warm exhaust meets the colder air. If it is white and dissipates quickly within a few feet of the chimney, it's steam.

Well my new stove is still on the skid. I was away in Mass and Vermont over the last few days. I still have to order stove pipe for it as well. However about an hour ago I lit a warm up fire in the regency. was just a bit chilly inside and the oil furnace kicked on twice.

Come mid-winter, it will be my first chance to run the T6 on straight hardwood - locust! I'm looking forward to that.

As for next year, lots of fir.

Attachments

• fir_pile.jpg
    fir_pile.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 483
if i get my chimeny on order then recieve it and also build a hearth i might just get that dang thing in yet this winter! also need to buy some seasoned firewood! ;)

We're adding insulation to the crawl space. Does that count? We're hoping it will.

Backwoods Savage said:
We're adding insulation to the crawl space. Does that count? We're hoping it will.

I really, really need to add insulation to our attic. We don't even have a "trap door" to get up there. In fact, the only time I've even looked into our attic was last November when I cut away some sheet rock from the ceiling inside our bedroom closet so the installer could get up there to run the Class A. I noticed all we had for insulation was some very, very thin stuff rolled out between the ceiling joists. I imagine it's better than nothing, but I also get the feeling it's only marginally better than said nothing. :long:

i have blow in insulation, i was thinking about putting either more blow in on top of existing, or putting insulation batts on top of the blowin.. i wonder if anyone ever does this and if its ok.

Backwoods Savage said:

It counts in all likelihood. what exactly are you using?

Our turn of the century house has the old style floor system. First there is the floor joice and then there is the TnG flooring. Thats it. The clencher is when the wood shrinks (winter/dry heat) I can see the ground or the light in the root cellar. The wifey was NOT pleased. I missed it on the pre-inspection.

Vapor barrier and plugging foundation holes got us back to sane levels of heat retention. Floor joice insulation should make a huge difference in any ones case.

might glue foam to the small crawlspace walls. not sure if that's worth it. Can't hurt except for a flat wallet, a sore back, and skinned up dirty knees.

greythorn3 said:
i have blow in insulation, i was thinking about putting either more blow in on top of existing, or putting insulation batts on top of the blowin.. i wonder if anyone ever does this and if its ok.

I can blow fiberglass on top of cellulose blown-in. NP. You'll never go cellulose again, especially if there moisture involved. Paper molds among other things. I get the machine free from lowes when I buy the cornings from them.

Batts or cellulose on top of fiberglass blow-in tends to crush it and rob it of R's.

Batts on top of blown in is less then ideal because eventually it'll compress it's loft too.

Any blow-in over batts seems to be fine.

I've only insulated maybe 20 houses and a few garages.

BeGreen said:
Come mid-winter, it will be my first chance to run the T6 on straight hardwood - locust! I'm looking forward to that.

As for next year, lots of fir.

Sweet looking chunks!

We made two changes this year... The obvious stove swap-out. Then we air sealed the attic and added about 4" of blown in on top of what was there. It seems to make a difference in the hot days so I'm sure it will when it gets colder too... perhaps it is the reason I don't get to burn but 2x a week so far. Humph. House only lost about 1* last night so no fire for me today. I'm hopeful that with a low in the 30's tonight I may get one tomorrow at least! I know.. I won't be so upset come January.

Greetings! Just got back from a week in the Smoky Mountains. Have I missed any flame wars?

Pagey said:
I gotta say, those 30s look like serious heating machines. My dad still heats with a Fisher, so I'm really looking forward to how your heating season progresses. He's looking at his options now, but I'm guessing it will be next year before he pulls the trigger.

I'm swapping my Fisher for a 50-SNC30P. I haven't had my sweep out to install it yet and I've only had a couple of burns on chilly nights. I'll miss the Fisher (I can hear it popping downstairs right now) because I know its quirks, but I'm really looking forward to the new tech with a window and seconary combustion chamber. Last year I burned nearly 4 cords, I'm hoping for 3 this year. I will post updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.