Wedges 4 Use When Milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I will be making some wedges this week so I made this template, the measurements are 3.48 wide by 4.0.

zap

Attachments

• wedges.jpg
    wedges.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 152
zapny said:
I will be making some wedges this week so I made this template, the measurements are 3.48 wide by 4.0.

zap

They dont even to have a taper,like traditional wedges.Just good hardwood flat stock 3"-4" wide,a foot or so long & about a 1/32" thicker than the saw's kerf,rounded & beveled on one end.I made a couple dozen years ago out of hard maple (what I had at the time) spray painted with fluorescent orange paint for visibility on the forest floor.You dont need them at first,but insert a pair across from each other once you're in the cut about 2 feet,then again about every 2 feet & repeat until you're about that far from the opposite end.They last a long time since they're just slipped in the kerf & not hammered on like tapered felling wedges.

(Notice the tiny green Black Walnut at bottom of pic,gonna be a decent crop this Fall I think,judging by how many I see on the ground already & pieces of husk dropped by squirrels on my head,truck & driveway 60+ feet below ;-P )

Attachments

• kerf wedges.jpg
    kerf wedges.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 148
Oh, when your at lowe's next time get some cedar shims......Cheap and light...Nice to have a bunch of them.

What you got going on there will work too! :cheese:

smokinjay said:
Oh, when your at lowe's next time get some cedar shims......Cheap and light...Nice to have a bunch of them.

I've been known to raid a small trash pile on the job of a few of those before the whole mess gets tossed into the dumpster.Great to have a handful around the shop & garage,they really come in handy ;-) You can't beat FREE! :coolsmirk:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

I've been known to raid a small trash pile on the job of a few of those before the whole mess gets tossed into the dumpster.Great to have a handful around the shop & garage,they really come in handy ;-)

Yep lol I have use about anything I get my hands on...Happen to have two packs of the cedar shims left form a scab deck job. They work sweet. I also will use the normal ones.. ;-)

Just keep collecting they come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.