Wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood spliter

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, ny
Which kind of wedges do you guys like? I use to old type but bought one of those round ones. I really didn't find it any easier. Any of you guys find it better on different woods? I split Maple tonight and the round one was doing nothing.

That is a nice pic to boot!

I have only used the old standard wedge they sell at walmart for like $ 7 . I have a few and I need to paint them bright, because I lost one at the last site I was working. I think when the tree went, the trunk pushed it deep into the ground. Couldn't find it anywhere.

I've never tried the round or twisted wedges. I am getting concerned that the top of my wedges are all beat down and soft looking.

I tried the standard, wood grenade and estwing wedges and definitely give the nod to the estwing wedge when splitting by hand given their design and durability. I have never tried a twist wedge (wood grenade head with flat bottom).

The first wedges I ever bought were from Steel- Lewis Hardware in 1957,in Wichita Kansas, before I graduated from high school. I have used those three wedges every year since and they have been wonderfull. They are a little mushroom headed now but the steel is the best. They well start in a log and go in, not bounce back like most of the newer ones. The new ones are of a softer metal and only last year or so. The new blade shape is different too, and they just don't work as well. I would really love to get some new wedges like the old wedges, but don't know where to find them. They would probably cost more than the new junk, but I'd pay it anyway and be happy. I guess I'm old enough now where my wants won't hurt me. David

I still have wedges that old at my parents house. I tried these latest and greatest but I think I'm going to stick with the standard ones. My folks are older and don't really have fires anymore so maybe I'll get those wedges. If they have any logs to be split I will have to go over anyway.

I know its been said before, but if your wedges or punches or chisels or any other striking tool has a mushroomed head, discountinue using it till you get it properly dressed. mushroomed heads could send you on a bad trip! And I use the cheap made in who knows where wedges, and dress them on a regular basis, just to answer the question.

I have two regular wedges, a maul, and a grenade wedge. For the past year though, anything that wont come apart with the maul gets the grenade wedge- So far I don't think i've encountered something that wouldn't split.
Full disclosure- on more than one occassion I've used the regular wedge, the maul and the grenade wedge all together on large rounds that otherwise would have been nearly impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.