Weed 'N Feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And mow higher!

+1
And, if you care to minimize environmental impact, skip the weed and feed entirely, wipe everything out with glyphosphate (Roundup), add some organic material and replant.
Glyphosphate is relatively benign when used properly (not near water or in the rain) and probably much less damaging to surface and ground water than the weed and feed.

I usually set the deck to 3-3.5" when I cut the lawn. The rough lawns I do, 5-6"

Maybe I'm hallucinating 'cause I'm pretty sure I gots a bag of corn gluten out in the shed that says Preen on it.

You may be hallucinating, but you're right about the Preen. So
Is firebroad. As i wrote above there are 2 kinds of Preen pre-emergent in the stores. Containers are very similar. The one that says Vegetable Garden or Organic is corn gluten. The regular is trifluralin.

I hit my yard with some liquid 2,4-D in the trailer sprayer last night to try to knock down some of the broadleaf weeds. I 'm not going to fertilize...I have to mow enough as it is.

It is best to kill the weeds now, then a few weeks later go back and overseed and plug aerate the heck out of it, and roll it to smooth things out and make good soil contact with the seed...if you want to get really fancy.

Grannular herbicides dont work worth a darn IMO. The weeds must be wet for the product to stick to them, and even when it does stick, it's nothing like a liquid weed killer. Do yourself a favor....go to Tractor Supply and get a bottle of Trimec. Its made by Gordons. Its around $30. Read the label twice!!!Mix ratio is around 2oz to a gallon of water if memory serves me correctly. That stuff kills about all your weeds. Dandelions will be withered the next day. It wacks thistles.....yes, those annoying things that nothing else seems to kill. Clover turns brown in 2 days. Try that with anything else! And whatever you do, do NOT use ANY fertilizer with ANY of the middle or last #'s. The P and K will feed the weeds, not kill them. Use a starter fertilizer ONLY on your bare spots. Use a Nitrogen only fert on the rest of the lawn.
Put down some Trimec and that stuff really works. I put it down on monday early morning and by thursday most of the weed was withering or browning. Stuff is great. we are expecting some rain the next few days so I will reassess next weekend and see how i am doing. I got some Milorganite as recommended by Pete Seeger, yes, Pete Seeger the singer, he lives in my city and I see him regularly and chat every so often at the market. Love that man, he has done so much for our schools in this city.

I'm with JE and Jags on this one. When I first bought a house 3 years ago I said, "I'm gonna have a nice green yard". After living in the outside garden department at Home Depot and out on the lawn, I realized during a really dry summer last year that this whole "Green Lawn" thing is ridiculous. Mow your friggin lawn and move on. So what if my lawn doesn't look like Citizens Bank Park. It's because it's not supposed too.

I see your point Stax, but I just cant get myself to just let it be. Im sure one day i will get to that stage, or maybe not, but darn it, its supposed to be green and I am going to see it green. I am the type that spends hours on end writing code for a living to improve efficiencies and make it easier for folks to do their jobs more efficiently and timely. Not necessarily to save the company money, shhh dont tell my bosses, but because its better for my fellow coworkers. call me crazy but i just cant turn it off. But I say all that to say, the I see your point and others, I am not looking for Donald Trumps fairways, but just a nice thick rick green lawn that in itself prevents weeds. wishful thinking. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.