Week end Sam's club sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
In Augusta at Sam's club. they have "many tons" of pellets stacked outside. There is a sign at the exit advertising a one time, one day week end sale. Pellets at $212. per ton, limit 5 tons. The pellets on the floor are Penningtons.

I have always wondered why stores have "ONE DAY ONLY " sales . I f you can sell some thing for $100.00 , why have a "ONE DAY ONLY " sale for $60.00. I'd skip the day and take the extra $40.00 . As an example .

Wow, even w/ a new membership, that seems like a good price. The $36 would get absorbed fast if multiple tons were ordered.

I speculate that they have one day sales like this for what is called a loss leader. They take a loss on the pellets for a day but boost membership and get you in the store to buy other things.

buildingmaint said:
I have always wondered why stores have "ONE DAY ONLY " sales . I f you can sell some thing for $100.00 , why have a "ONE DAY ONLY " sale for $60.00. I'd skip the day and take the extra $40.00 . As an example .

Wow.... thats a good deal. I paid that 3 seasons ago at a regular price. Penningtons had problems a couple seasons ago badly....but they came on this site and very graciously made good on sales with people here. I tried some last year and they were MUCH better and very hot. I would jump all over that deal for that price IF I had membership or could get someone that had a membership to go in with me.

save$ said:
In Augusta at Sam's club. they have "many tons" of pellets stacked outside. There is a sign at the exit advertising a one time, one day week end sale. Pellets at $212. per ton, limit 5 tons. The pellets on the floor are Penningtons.

Called Sam's in Scarborough; $212 is not a special sale price there. That has been their price since July. $4.24/bag for Pennington

So are these pellets any good? I burned a couple bags last season and they seemed ok. I suspect that BTU will jump in and say they are junk, but how about others who have burned a ton or so.

I "think" I mentioned already. I burned over a half a ton last season... I had no problems whatsoever...and I dare say I had maybe a teaspoon of fines in the bag. They were not very dirty to me anyway. I know there are several others who have burned these more than myself. Some dont come back in until the burn season is close. The year before last as I mentioned , there was several that had problems. Pennington had a Rep in here personally to rectify the problem and explain. They had a couple mills that were new or had problems and thats where those particular lots came from that was producing problems for people. But they refunded every one that notified them and also didnt make them return the junk.... which to me that would of been a gold mine cause I would of diluted the bad into the good and that would of gave me 2 seasons instead of one.
The Penningtons I bought last year was the only time I had bought that many of this brand and they were a very hot pellet from my experience.

BJN644 said:
So are these pellets any good? I burned a couple bags last season and they seemed ok. I suspect that BTU will jump in and say they are junk, but how about others who have burned a ton or so.

MainePellethead said:
I "think" I mentioned already. I nurned over a half a ton last season... I had no problems whatsoever...and I dare say I had maybe a teaspoon of fines in the bag. They were very dirty to me anyway. I know there are several others who have burned these more than myself. Some dont come back in until the burn season is close. The year before last as I mentioned , there was several that had problems. Pennington had a Rep in here personally to rectify the problem and explain. They had a couple mills that were new or had problems and thats where those particular lots came from that was producing problems for people. But they refunded every one that notified them and also didnt make them return the junk.... which to me that would of been a gold mine cause I would of diluted the bad into the good and that would of gave me 2 seasons instead of one.
The Penningtons I bought last year was the only time I had bought that many of this brand and they were a very hot pellet from my experience.

BJN644 said:

When you say they were dirty, lots of ash, dirty glass, that kind of thing?

Sorry BJN....was a typo... I meant "were not" dirty. I edited the post.

BJN644 said:
MainePellethead said:
I "think" I mentioned already. I nurned over a half a ton last season... I had no problems whatsoever...and I dare say I had maybe a teaspoon of fines in the bag. They were very dirty to me anyway. I know there are several others who have burned these more than myself. Some dont come back in until the burn season is close. The year before last as I mentioned , there was several that had problems. Pennington had a Rep in here personally to rectify the problem and explain. They had a couple mills that were new or had problems and thats where those particular lots came from that was producing problems for people. But they refunded every one that notified them and also didnt make them return the junk.... which to me that would of been a gold mine cause I would of diluted the bad into the good and that would of gave me 2 seasons instead of one.

BJN644 said:

When you say they were dirty, lots of ash, dirty glass, that kind of thing?

save$ said:

Checked Sams in Seabrook, NH on Tuesday (Aug 18). They said that they had the one day sale in July and not aware of any more.

Could this be a store by store sale due to overstock?

gbreda said:
save$ said:

Checked Sams in Seabrook, NH on Tuesday (Aug 18). They said that they had the one day sale in July and not aware of any more.

I don't think it's overstock, they have been hauling in trailer loads for over a week now, there is a lot of pellets up there.

BJN644 said:
gbreda said:
save$ said:

I don't think it's overstock, they have been hauling in trailer loads for over a week now, there is a lot of pellets up there.

Maybe they are rotating the stores for the sale day. I drove around the Seabrook store Tuesday afternoon and saw no big stash outside. Too bad I was unaware of this in July when they had their sale day. Boy is this pellet thing one big learning experience.

If anyone knows details of the individual stores, please post. That is a good buy for those in the Augusta area !!!!

BJN644 said:

I burned 2 ton last year, seemed fine to me, pretty clean, not quite as hot as the 2 ton of Energex, but fewer finees than the Energex. If I wasn't 70 miles away I'd jump on 'em in a heartbeat

hossthehermit said:
....I burned 2 ton last year, seemed fine to me, pretty clean, not quite as hot as the 2 ton of Energex, but fewer finees than the Energex. If I wasn't 70 miles away I'd jump on 'em in a heartbeat

Hoss, how far is the nearest Home Depot? If it's close, you can get $150 off of 4 tons of whatever price their selling them for regularly....pellet promotion going on right now until Sept. 30.

Sam's deal reeled me in. I Bought my winter's supply; 2 ton / Pennington's for $212/ton ($232/ton with the $40 membership prorated)

They have them in Scarboro Romy??

Romy said:
Sam's deal reeled me in. I Bought my winter's supply; 2 ton / Pennington's for $212/ton ($232/ton with the $40 membership prorated)

I used them the last 2 years and they were dirty but fine for my use. Definitely not the cleanest there is out there but I got them for $193 both 2008 and 2007 and they worked fine in my multifuel. Me thinks its time to see if they have dropped their lofty price here in Plattsburgh and come to their senses with some of the rest.

Arghh, typical for up here. I just called and they just started getting them in and ONLY $250/ton. No plans on any sales either. Nothing all summer here either as far as I could glean. That sux but for the extra I will just go get some corn and set my screen up. I like the convenience of the bags but a 5 gallon plastic pail will still "get er done". One of the guys at work says you can get Lingetics just across the border in Canada for that much.

Driz said:
.....Arghh, typical for up here. I just called and they just started getting them in and ONLY $250/ton. No plans on any sales either. Nothing all summer here either as far as I could glean......

Driz, have you tried the "Pot-O-Gold" pellets that the guy is selling up in your area? He lists on ebay all the time, and Eric at Kinsman says their a good pellet (same as ProPellet). A couple of forum members have said they have burned and liked them. The eBay guy is asking $216/ton.

If I lived up your way, that's what I'd be getting.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/PREMIUM-WOOD-PE...m3354eabce2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_968

Went to sam's today, looks like they sold less than half of the pile they had, and they're still $4,24 a bag.

Yep, tons and tons for now but they seemed to be selling a lot. When I asked if it was a sale price the lady told me no, that's been the price since July.

MainePellethead said:
They have them in Scarboro Romy??

Romy said:

macman said:
Driz said:
.....Arghh, typical for up here. I just called and they just started getting them in and ONLY $250/ton. No plans on any sales either. Nothing all summer here either as far as I could glean......

Driz, have you tried the "Pot-O-Gold" pellets that the guy is selling up in your area? He lists on ebay all the time, and Eric at Kinsman says their a good pellet (same as ProPellet). A couple of forum members have said they have burned and liked them. The eBay guy is asking $216/ton.

If I lived up your way, that's what I'd be getting.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/PREMIUM-WOOD-PE...m3354eabce2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_968[/quote

I went lookin for that place a couple months ago. In fact I was standing right in front of the supposed building talking to some guys who had businesses right there for many years. None of em ever saw the store, pellets, nothing. Best I could find is it is linked to some stove shop in Ellenburg 40 miles away. Now you have to ask yourself why give a couple of addresses 200 miles apart in the ad, Plattsburgh, Albany. Then he gives an address that really doesn't exist complete with picture and the closest thing I can find is yet another business someplace else. Fine and dandy if it's cash and carry but no way I am going to give this guy a dime unless I am in Punching distance. Someone else on here went and was going to order some but I lost track of the thread and never found out what happened. Did anyone else ever buy from this guy , you have me wondering again???????

Romy said:

That's the best deal I've seen. I may bite at a ton as well. Thanks for the info. Did they have plenty left?
Mike -

Driz said:
[
I went lookin for that place a couple months ago. In fact I was standing right in front of the supposed building talking to some guys who had businesses right there for many years. None of em ever saw the store, pellets, nothing. Best I could find is it is linked to some stove shop in Ellenburg 40 miles away. Now you have to ask yourself why give a couple of addresses 200 miles apart in the ad, Plattsburgh, Albany. Then he gives an address that really doesn't exist complete with picture and the closest thing I can find is yet another business someplace else. Fine and dandy if it's cash and carry but no way I am going to give this guy a dime unless I am in Punching distance. Someone else on here went and was going to order some but I lost track of the thread and never found out what happened. Did anyone else ever buy from this guy , you have me wondering again???????

Driz, I looked back at some old posts about the Pot O Gold pellets, and the people that bought and burned them did like them. I also came across a post about the guy who sells them, and even though he lists the Plattsburgh address, the phone is to Chateaugay. For that price, it would be worth a shot to give him a call and see what the deal is.

Robert Barnes

(518) 497-3381

Listing Details
Job title: Owner

Company: Wood & Wicker

EDIT: I mailed the payment to him in Chateaugay, NY.

Dr_Drum said:
Romy said:

That's the best deal I've seen. I may bite at a ton as well. Thanks for the info. Did they have plenty left?
Mike -

Its hard to say how much they have. There were quite a few pallets stored inside on their pallet racknig. I don't know for sure if there's more somewhere else. It didn't take them long to have a pallet sitting in the loading area so I suspect there's some yarded up in the back warehouse. I do know they were selling a lot of them. Both times I was there to pick up a ton, someone else was there to pick up as well.

You really can't beat this deal, even with the cost of Club membership. The closest price I could find for all-hardwood was $275 for NEWP.
$40 membership prorated over
1 ton = $252.00
2 ton = $232.00
3 ton = $225.33
4 ton = $222.00
5 ton = $220.00

PS- As a Club member, I bought gas for my truck for $2.55/gal. as of Saturday. Its $2.70 most other places.

EDIT: PLEASE CHECK PRICES BEFORE SIGNING UP; SOMEONE TOLD ME THEY JUST (TODAY) WENT UP TO $4.88/BAG

~Romy

Status
Not open for further replies.