Weekend firewood gatherings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin*

Burning Hunk
Nov 29, 2011
SNOHOMISH, WA
Well its about that time, snow is melting so i'm putting 20 bucks down for a 2 cord load ticket from the forest. Hopefully I can find some good dug-fir thats easy lifting size, as if it ever grows that way..

I get some from a state cutting area. Mostly birch.
$10/cord here too.
Good deal IMO.

wow, looked up nc, and i can get a permit for $20, and it's good for 4 cords, and up to 16 cords a year. might have to consider this, thanks for making the thread... otherwise i may have never known.

Reactions: ScotO
looking at the bottom of that page... you can't cut/take anything over 6 feet that's dead on the ground?
I think its that the trees need to dead and down plus you can't leave with logs over 6 feet long. This way you not taking wood to a mill and your not cutting down trees where ever you want or cutting down habitat for critters.

I think its that the trees need to dead and down plus you can't leave with logs over 6 feet long. This way you not taking wood to a mill and your not cutting down trees where ever you want or cutting down habitat for critters.
ah, so you can't take a 6 foot log that's intact... you can find one 10 feet long, and as long as you cut it up it's fine?

Sounds like a winner. I'm looking into this today.

Found some some alder, there tons of it up there plus a 18" 40' log of fir! I thought I was too late tfo find any fir.
20130601_154259_zps2f3b9710.jpg

Nice load of wood, I love those 'sideboards' on your truck. Is that something you made up or is that an item one can purchase?
Glad to hear you got some fir......sounds like you hit the jackpot with that one log!

Sounds like a winner. I'm looking into this today.
you USED to be able to get state forest permits here in PA, but I'm not so sure its that easy anymore.......

Its a shame the PA Game Commission won't sell permits for wood that is down along all their access roads......there is a chitload of wood on the game roads here around our area, all it does is rot into the ground as the PGC will NOT let you take a single billet of it.....

I've got a permit from the National Forest here in Virginia $20 for 18 truck loads, which in my little Ranger is about 4 cords or maybe a little bit more. National Forest is within 10 minutes of my house so it's a good deal for me. If you live close enough it may be worth it. I just passed a tree the other day that blew over right beside the road - it would be easy pickings for someone who needs it. The way I see it we're doing them a favor too by clearing the dead and down stuff so that healthier trees can grow in their place.

Nice wood hauling set-up
With the side racks, gotta be close to a cord ;)

Glad it's working out for you.
Got any Pictures of the cutting area ?

I can fit a little over 1.25 cords in there, here is where we were cutting from today.

20130602_114845_zps6dfe3297.jpg

Got to tell you bucking and loading the truck is too much work, I'm going to buy a winch and load logs onto the trailer.

Nice thing about bucking out there, all the saw mess is out there .
Still have to bring it home, off load & buck it up . Heavier log to maneuver & load
I like doing it out there, more time in the woods :)

" No one ever said cutting fire wood was easy.
Some is just easier than other "

In the pic, once you got it started & didn't pinch the saw, (nicely done by the way ;) )
some pretty easy cutting with it off the ground .

Status
Not open for further replies.