1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Weekend outing with the kids.....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ScotO, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Went up to scout camp this weekend so the kids could earn their polar camping scout merits. They had to stay out in the tent in sub-freezing temps. They all did it, and actually stayed out for two nights. The first night was in the mid 20's, last night it got even colder (14).

We had a great weekend. There was a huge white oak that blew over during Sandy last fall, very nice tree with several nice logs on it. The campfire ring needed new seating (was old pine logs that were at the end of their rope), so we skidded three 8' logs up to camp to make into log benches. The rest of that tree was cut and split by hand, on the spot, for firewood....

Also cut and split up three standing deads for firewood, too. Ended up with around 2 1/2-3 cord of split and stacked firewood.

I had to free-hand cut the logs for the benches, used the 372XP for that task. The 20" bar just barely made it through to the sapwood on the opposite side. I had the 041AV Super with me also (28" bar) but the 372 was faster cutting. Only used two of the three logs for benches as 4 benches ended up being plenty of seating. The butt log from the blowdown (big log you see in the pics) is going to be milled at my buddy's place.

made the legs for the benches out of eastern hemlock logs from a tree that was down as well.....

Kids had a great time. Can't wait to do it again....

2013-03-23_16-04-08_414.jpg 2013-03-23_16-04-12_607.jpg 2013-03-23_16-04-21_565.jpg 2013-03-23_16-42-16_744.jpg 2013-03-23_17-34-13_989.jpg 2013-03-23_18-30-03_75.jpg 2013-03-24_09-19-19_179.jpg 2013-03-24_09-17-40_372.jpg 2013-03-24_10-11-55_927.jpg 2013-03-24_09-17-53_540.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Looks like the kids had a great time, nice job.
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Zap they had a blast. I gotta admit though, it's sad seeing my youngest son grow up so fast. He's almost 13 years old, and I can vividly remember being his age......like it was yesterday.

He really enjoys all the guys getting together like that. We have a fantastic group of both dads and kids......all of us look forward to these outings. Everybody pitches in, and we always get a lot done up at camp. The scout leader (great guy, BTW) said in all the years of his being a leader, he's never had a group of dads like us.....with the pitching it, helping the kids learn the ways of the woods, etc......that made me feel good to hear that....
  4. thewoodlands

It makes it a lot easier when you have parents who pitch in an also get along, the kids will always remember that.
    Backwoods Savage, Thistle and ScotO like this.
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Parents had a better time from the looks of it.;lol

Makes my days of scouts chopping limbs with a hatchet seem crappy. I just don't remember chainsaws in the scout handbook. I'll take another look though...
    Backwoods Savage, Thistle and ScotO like this.
  6. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Looks great Scotty.Nice to see so many young people still learning to love the outdoors at a early age.
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We have a great group of kids, Thistle. They all enjoy the outdoors, and are eager to learn how to do things. We have lots of plans for the camp this summer. New benches on the porch, new picnic tables, possibly a set of hand-laid stone steps from the camp road to the cabin, and most importantly, an Overkill signature model Keyhole Firepit!
    Backwoods Savage, Thistle and zap like this.
  8. thewoodlands

I was just going to bust on you about that, I noticed the firepit the second time through the pics!
    ScotO likes this.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I was waiting for someone to hammer me about that......I beat ya to the punch!!
    We're gonna do a keyhole design, but it'll be a lot bigger where the main fire will be. Probably more in line with Dexterday's pit......
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

Sounds like a plan. I cleaned the grill yesterday after cleaning four saws, had some nice steaks.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

we cooked 7 packs of deer steaks over some fresh cut white oak last night for supper. I would've taken pictures but I was the chef.......one hand flippin' steaks, the other hand shoving samples of those deer steaks into my mouth!!==c

They were fantastic. The kids loved them. The one dad is from Los Angeles, he married my cousin and moved back here to the mountains 13 years ago. He had a BLAST up there at camp. He wasn't really crazy about eating deer steaks til he tried one of those ones off of the pit. Now he's hooked. I think he was the one who stunk the whole cabin up last night.....he ate a pile of deer meat and chili!!;sick::P
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

The wife cooked Chili tonight, not deer meat but it still was good. Ya, that venision will get the system moving!
  13. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Great job on all ends Scotty including the kids
    ScotO likes this.
  14. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Hey Scotty, you should really consider moving to upstate NY. We could really use more great guys like you. We have a great snowmobile trail system here with plenty of snow.
    ScotO likes this.
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thanks, Timmy! I can honestly say the dads had as much fun as the kids.....
    As soon as the chainsaw fired up, they all came running to watch!
  16. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thanks for the compliments, Jack! I actually love NY state, we go to the Finger Lakes region every summer. Not real crazy about the state government up there (especially the taxes!!), but I do love the geography and the mountains.......
    I'll have to make it up there sometime to do some snowmobiling and meet up with you and Zappy.
  17. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Nice Scotty!!
    ScotO likes this.
  18. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thanks, brother!
  19. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    That is the type of stuff that makes long term memories. Good on ya for taking the time. Not too mention...but how could you NOT have fun.==c
    ScotO likes this.
  20. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I still have vivid memories of my scouting days at the same camp......and you're right, Jags......how could I not enjoy it!
    The kids are excited to go again next month already.....
    Jags likes this.
  21. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I'm diggin' those benches. I'm not sure if I'm good enough to free-hand one, but I might take a couple logs to the neighbor's mill and halve them. Those are too pretty to get all weathered...so I'll probably throw on a coat of marine varnish on mine. You should keep your rustic looking for camp though.

My kids love camping. Our yearly big vacation alternates between a week on a rented beach house on the gulf coast and a week of camping in the black hills. The kids like camping more than the beach.
    ScotO likes this.
  22. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    sounds alittle like child abuse to me.........
    sleeping outside in the freezing cold..............
    eating roadkill for dinner....................
    child sweatshop labor................
    Scols and ScotO like this.
  23. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'm gonna take my barking spud up with us next month and flip those logs over, peel the bark off, and put them back on the legs. Then in a year or so, we'll sand the top of them off and put some Helmsman Spar clearcoat on them. Being they are green, they need to season some before I can clearcoat them....
  24. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    Happy, Happy, Happy...................
    ScotO likes this.
  25. ScotO

ScotO Guest

[​IMG]
    Jags likes this.