Weekend Work / Sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Some pictures from stacking 4 face cord today with my wife. The wood pile is what we have left, close to another 2 face cord. We still have another 4 face cord we have to bring out of the woods.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0202.jpg
    100_0202.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 651
  • 100_0203.jpg
    100_0203.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 687
  • 100_0204.jpg
    100_0204.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 672
  • 100_0205.jpg
    100_0205.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 634
Buzy Day

Looks great, nice neat stacks!!!

Zap, it is probably good to get that wood out before the snow flies. That should happen soon.

Nice and neat stacks , well done.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, it is probably good to get that wood out before the snow flies. That should happen soon.

Start stacking the rest tonight (night pictures) and work on bringing the rest of the cherry out of the woods this weekend. I hear the snow will start to fly the Nov. 23 - 27.

Zap

Wow, I'd hate to ever take wood from such neat stacks. A question, and then a suggestion. First, how on earth did you get such neat stacks? How precisely are you measuring your buck cuts? Don't any of your trees have limbs or otherwise non-straight growth? Don't you end up with some uneven splits?

Second, I love how neat the stacks are, but with those trees nearby, I think I'd have probably used those as my ends. Then again, I know you probably have 24 feet of landscape timbers there and know exactly how many cords you have.

derecskey said:
Wow, I'd hate to ever take wood from such neat stacks. A question, and then a suggestion. First, how on earth did you get such neat stacks? How precisely are you measuring your buck cuts? Don't any of your trees have limbs or otherwise non-straight growth? Don't you end up with some uneven splits?

Second, I love how neat the stacks are, but with those trees nearby, I think I'd have probably used those as my ends. Then again, I know you probably have 24 feet of landscape timbers there and know exactly how many cords you have.

I have a 15,16 & 18 inch sticks that i use to measure when marking the wood with a stihl pruning saw. I limb them up flush(learned the hard way) so stacking is easier and the uneven splits are in there.

The landscape timbers in the picture are 14.75 inches apart (wood is 16 inches) and the rows 10 inches apart. 2 face cord per row and the landscape timbers are 8 footers, 4 per row. The trees are a good idea, the only reason we use the post is I wanted 2 face cord per row and not falling down in the winter.(I'm a rookie stacker)

Zap

I vote for using T-bar posts instead of trees.

I was trying to figure out how to end my stacks at the new house. I am storing them in a corner of the property with no trees to use as ends. What do you guys use to end your stacks?

Looks great Zap! You might want to consider cribbing the ends also, no worries of your stacks falling then.

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Start stacking the rest tonight (night pictures) and work on bringing the rest of the cherry out of the woods this weekend. I hear the snow will start to fly the Nov. 23 - 27.

Zap

I too have taken notice of the long range forecast. Sounds like we might be getting back to normal around Thanksgiving time. Then I'll start thinking strongly about cutting wood. Until then, I'll hunt when I can. If this danged body of mine would cooperate.....

k3c4forlife said:
I was trying to figure out how to end my stacks at the new house. I am storing them in a corner of the property with no trees to use as ends. What do you guys use to end your stacks?

It is not difficult to do. We just use some poles we cut back in the woods and stack the wood on that. Some stacks around here just get stacked on the ground too (we're on yellow sand). Doing it this way, the cost is practically nothing and takes no more time than stacking in the middle of the row.

Wood-2009e.gif

Denny-April2009h.gif

Woodcovered.gif

derecskey said:

Stacking wood against trees is not really a good idea. Trees have a tendency to move when the wind blows hard and having something against the tree is hard on it. It can also wreck havoc with the stacks when the trees move. Furthermore, stacking against trees means the wood is in the shade. All in all, it is a terrible thing to do.

Also, it is not difficult to figure how many cords of wood one has.

Yeah, I know, my dad suggested I stack between some trees again this year but I moved it forward 15 feet to get the stacks out of the woods and shade. However, in OP's pictures, it appears he is indeed between trees already anyway, so that is why I suggested it. But good point on the whole movement thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.