Weekend Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is some work that I'll start on Saturday morning, the quaking aspen needs to be split then we have some nice rounds of sugar maple (about seven)that I bucked up earlier and left back in the woods that needs splitting and taken out.

I also need a new stacking area for the aspen.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1035.jpg
    100_1035.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 100_1041.jpg
    100_1041.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 530
  • 100_0903-1.jpg
    100_0903-1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 532
Looks like we are going to have too nice a weekend to be splitting wood Zap.

SolarAndWood said:

I'm working my way to the beech that is down in the bowl, we will take our last boat ride on Saturday then back in the woods on Sunday and Monday. Last winter I cut, this winter it would be nice if I can kick back more and rest.

Solar this is the hill I'll be cutting on in about two weeks. Over on the left of the picture (out of view) we have some nice beech down and some nasty beech also.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1058.jpg
    100_1058.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 468
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

I'm working my way to the beech that is down in the bowl, we will take our last boat ride on Saturday then back in the woods on Sunday and Monday. Last winter I cut, this winter it would be nice if I can kick back more and rest.

Solar this is the hill I'll be cutting on in about two weeks. Over on the left of the picture (out of view) we have some nice beech down and some nasty beech also.

zap
Is it just me or is that hill REALLY steep? If it's the latter, that's gonne be some fun cutting. May as well just let them all roll downhill then load them up.

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
wood Zap.

. Last winter I cut, this winter it would be nice if I can kick back more and rest.
zap

Really!!?? I think you would not know what to do with yourself unless you were out in the woods with your saw & camera!! :)

I continually forget my camera when out "harvesting"....well, until I'm on my way home and then I think to myself zap would have remembered!

zap[/quote]
Is it just me or is that hill REALLY steep? If it's the latter, that's gonne be some fun cutting. May as well just let them all roll downhill then load them up.[/quote]

Really steep, it will test you but I like beech!

zap

[

Is it just me or is that hill REALLY steep? If it's the latter, that's gonne be some fun cutting. May as well just let them all roll downhill then load them up.[/quote]

This is some of the stuff I'm going after from a different view.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1045.jpg
    100_1045.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 454
muncybob said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
wood Zap.

. Last winter I cut, this winter it would be nice if I can kick back more and rest.
zap

Really!!?? I think you would not know what to do with yourself unless you were out in the woods with your saw & camera!! :)

I continually forget my camera when out "harvesting"....well, until I'm on my way home and then I think to myself zap would have remembered!

You forgot the SPLITTER!

zap

and in this case the winch

SolarAndWood said:
and in this case the winch

I'll need extra cable so I can reach it with the winch or the chains might work. Not sure who would carry extra cable for the winch around here.

zap

TSC should have it. That would be a long haul out of that bowl.

SolarAndWood said:
TSC should have it. That would be a long haul out of that bowl.

Just spoke with the business we bought the rhino from and they carry replacement cable for the winch once it goes bad but he did say just go down to the local hardware store and buy quarter inch cable and make my own so I'll check into that next week after I see how much I need.

zap

Good looking rounds you have there, have fun finishing the job!

70marlin said:

It will be nice having the aspen for the shoulder season in 2011, have a good area picked out for stacking that will hold 12.- 14 face cord. Would like about 6 f/c of aspen.

zap

zapny said:
70marlin said:

Would like about 6 f/c of aspen.

zap

So would I!

Zap, I know you have probably stated this some where else but how much wood do you burn in a winter, it just seams like you are cutting a whole forrest. :)

Zap the one thing I really appreciate about your posts are the BIG pictures you provide. Everybody likes to see pictures, but for some reason a lot of people upload little tiny thumbnail size pictures that I almost need to hold a magnifying glass up to the monitor to see what the picture is suppose to be. With the size picture you upload you can clearly see what's going on, it's like your right there with you. Keep up the good work :)

Those people who say size doesn't matter are full a bologna. ;-P

oldspark said:
Zap, I know you have probably stated this some where else but how much wood do you burn in a winter, it just seams like you are cutting a whole forrest. :)

oldspark last year (our first burning wood) and our wood not seasoned for a year we burned 14 face cord, we hope that we can cut it down to 10-12 this year with wood that is seasoned longer than last year.

zap

Carbon_Liberator said:
Zap the one thing I really appreciate about your posts are the BIG pictures you provide. Everybody likes to see pictures, but for some reason a lot of people upload little tiny thumbnail size pictures that I almost need to hold a magnifying glass up to the monitor to see what the picture is suppose to be. With the size picture you upload you can clearly see what's going on, it's like your right there with you. Keep up the good work :)

Carbon Liberator thanks, did you take that big pine? What site do you use for your photo's?

zap

SolarAndWood said:

Solar it was a nice weekend, Saturday was spent splitting the aspen then Sunday I stacked the beech and today we took the boat to get winterized and had lunch at a small diner in Madrid New York.

This week I'll setup for the last two face cord of beech plus on the north side get setup for four more face cord (sugar maple up in the woods split) and the last area is for ironwood which we have room for four face cord.

zap

zapny said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

Carbon Liberator thanks, did you take that big pine? What site do you use for your photo's?

zap
No I left that pine (for now), in the meantime I can fill up the woodshed much quicker with my regular supply, but that big pine is close and I doubt anybody else will bother with it, so it will probably be there if I change my mind. Besides, it's ponderosa pine, which is not as good (btu wise) as the lodgepole pine I'm trying to fill my woodshed with.
I usually size my pictures 1200 - 900 pixels wide. Any bigger takes people to long to download (especially if they are on phone line connection), any smaller is hard to see on a high resolution screen. I see your picture are usually around 1200 pixels wide and compressed just about right. Did you build your own web site? zapsprint.com

No a local guy in Massena did the web page.

zap

It was a glorious weekend in the woods. The combination of the color in the trees and the forest floor was beautiful. We have a lot of blow downs from the wind storms.

SolarAndWood said:
It was a glorious weekend in the woods. The combination of the color in the trees and the forest floor was beautiful. We have a lot of blow downs from the wind storms.

I take it you went to camp, what type of trees are the blow downs?

zap

There was one section of a balsam stand where it looked like a tornado touched down. It was probably 1/4 acre all fresh blown down in the same direction like a field of dominoes. Other than that, some ash, birch and sugar maple. Need to find a little time and take the tractor up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.