Weeks 5 & 6 of 20 (11/28 - 12/11) '10-11

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

No more 'big' ash removal operations. When the outside temps are a lil warmer, I'm just raking them around more, letting it burn down more, and removing two spadesfull at a time, about 1 gallon/week.

Keeping up with the wood, but not getting ahead. With snow and ice it seems easier to end up bringing home crappy wood. Combined with chain breakage, operation 'Install Tractor Chains', and letting other people mess up my 'wood getting' plans, I haven't been able to add to the wood pile. But I have been able to get as much as I am currently burning, so.

Spring came the other day . . .for 36 hours!! we had 50 °F . But now we have 48 hours straight of wind chills with a max of 5. Even though 'wind chill is some sorta calculation involving skin, I find it's the best number to use when determining load. Right now I load with the best stuff I have (White Oak) and fill it up just shy of the HX. That big of a load takes a while to get humping (up to temp, blow the water out) but once it does, she does all I ask. Not bad for being undersized. Current 'cold snap' has me running aquastat at 185. Water temp never exceeds 200 °F

Interesting HDD data for the 6-week period since I fired (10/31/2010)

2010=1269, 2009=1085, 2008=1242 (20 week totals 2009=4809; 2008=5188;)

So, if 2010 follows the pattern, I was at 23% at the close of Week 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.