Week's Vacation Wood Scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Dec 24, 2009
SoCal Southern Sierras
Had a nice family vacation where my father-in-law, wife, and I spent the week, a couple of weeks ago, building a wood storage rack on a steep slope (best yard location, anyway) then scrounged, cut, split and stacked about 5 1/2 cords of mostly red oak (except for a pine in the yard that the borers wanted us to have.) Platform is 9' rail road ties with 2"x4"s strung across on 6" centers.

All-in-all, it was a nice time together and probably put us about 2 years ahead on wood at the rate we burn. I was quite pleased that we were able to keep 3 saws running most of the time, with minimal down time for a solid 7 days. Felt pretty good about the stack, considering the time available.

Next vacation project will be adding a roof to the wood storage platform; still working on the design, enjoying the threads here on the topic.

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 384
  • stacked.jpg
    stacked.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 404
That's a heck of a foundation for stacking wood.... way to go. Shoot - I just throw free pallets down. If they aren't level - I shove something under one side.

sure alot of wood. Nice work. Couldn't help but notice snow in one picture and short sleeves in the other.

basswidow said:
That's a heck of a foundation for stacking wood.... way to go. Shoot - I just throw free pallets down. If they aren't level - I shove something under one side.

sure alot of wood. Nice work. Couldn't help but notice snow in one picture and short sleeves in the other.

LOL...I was just thinkin the same thing!!

That should give some great ventilation under the wood!! Neat idea!

Almost seems a shame to put the wood splits on it.

I'd be tempted to throw down some flooring and start framing some walls up!

basswidow said:

Yeah, the weather this time of year varies a lot; we went from 70's to 20's, snow, then back to 50's in less than a week... snowing again today!

[quote author="Beowulf" date="1272579489"]You know when youre a real woodburner when: Had a nice family vacation where my father-in-law, wife, and I spent the week, a couple of weeks ago, building a wood storage rack on a steep slope (best yard location, anyway) then scrounged, cut, split and stacked about 5 1/2 cords of mostly red oak (except for a pine in the yard that the borers wanted us to have.) quote]

Now thats a vacation! :cheese:

Looks great.

Vaccation with wood huh now thats a great Idea!

Very good...that's what I call multi-tasking.

Status
Not open for further replies.