Weight of a cord wet and green

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I agree Jay and it is such a shame. Too many folks just do not know or realize the difference between good seasoned wood and that stuff they buy that the seller tells them is ready to burn.

I'm thinking it's not up to the seller to care. I don't think they should represent obviously green wood as dry, but I think we all know our opinion of dry is a bit different than most peoples opinion of dry is. We may be a bit biased with regard to that... and I know we've all been in the position where we've burnt wood that isn't what we've considered dry and gotten through it. From a business prospective, I don't think I would want inventory to sit around for 2+ years waiting to be sold. I think I would tell them it will burn this year, but it would be better to burn next year. Maybe try to sell 2 years of wood to the customer.

I'm of the opinion that the burner should, through trial and error like we did, learn that dry wood works better than wet, and that chimneys need cleaning, etc.

As an odd aside, my friend that sells firewood sells most of it by the face cord. He says most off his clients can't buy a full cord at a time.

Matt
Self proclaimed dry wood snob who has been known to burn free pine every once in a while.

Yeah, yeah, OK...just tell me whether or not you think I can haul a full cord in my Ford Ranger with overloads & heavy duty shocks. %-P

fossil said:
Yeah, yeah, OK...just tell me whether or not you think I can haul a full cord in my Ford Ranger with overloads & heavy duty shocks. %-P

Oh yea Rick I can fit a cord on and in there but you need to bring alot of bungee cords!

I was gonna suggest buying a package of Harbor Freight twine to hold it in.

Matt

Wait, are those shocks on the back AND the front? It makes a huge difference.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Wait, are those shocks on the back AND the front? It makes a huge difference.

Matt

Just the right rear for now...I'm savin' up for the other three. %-P

fossil said:

Are you teasin me Rick :cheese: OK, its just a face cord of oak...maybe a little more...

Attachments

• fullloadsmall.jpg
    fullloadsmall.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 286
burntime said:
fossil said:

Are you teasin me Rick :cheese: OK, its just a face cord of oak...maybe a little more...

Put some 8' high fences on it, and you'll really have it goin' on, burntime. :p

So that is why my truck squatted so bad when i had a cord of red oak on it. :coolsmile:

Anyone notice Eucalyptus wood on the list? Wow... 6470 - 7320 lbs green! Has anyone burned that stuff?

CJRages said:
Anyone notice Eucalyptus wood on the list? Wow... 6470 - 7320 lbs green! Has anyone burned that stuff?

I'm not sure we have any Austrailian members here!

CJRages said:

Lots of folks burn Eucalyptus. In Australia (where it's native), and in California (where it was imported generations ago and grows all over the place, especially along the coast from San Francisco down to San Diego. I've never burned it, but I'm very familiar with the trees. By all accounts I've read, it makes for some real nice firewood. Properly seasoned, of course. Rick

Werm said:
...I'm not sure we have any Austrailian members here!

At least one, but I haven't seen him around in a while. Plenty of folks in California who can tell you all about it, though. Rick

How many cords have you purchased by weight? And how do you know they were telling the truth?

Matt and doesn't have a truck scale at his house

EatenByLimestone said:
I'm thinking it's not up to the seller to care. I don't think they should represent obviously green wood as dry, but I think we all know our opinion of dry is a bit different than most peoples opinion of dry is. We may be a bit biased with regard to that... and I know we've all been in the position where we've burnt wood that isn't what we've considered dry and gotten through it. From a business prospective, I don't think I would want inventory to sit around for 2+ years waiting to be sold. I think I would tell them it will burn this year, but it would be better to burn next year. Maybe try to sell 2 years of wood to the customer.

I'm of the opinion that the burner should, through trial and error like we did, learn that dry wood works better than wet, and that chimneys need cleaning, etc.

As an odd aside, my friend that sells firewood sells most of it by the face cord. He says most off his clients can't buy a full cord at a time.

Matt
Self proclaimed dry wood snob who has been known to burn free pine every once in a while.
Our opinion of dry wood is different from what people, the ones who refuse to educate themselves, the info is all over the net on what you should be burning so "our" opinion is not an opinion at all, just facts.

oldspark said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt
Our opinion of dry wood is different from what people, the ones who refuse to educate themselves, the info is all over the net on what you should be burning so "our" opinion is not an opinion at all, just facts.

+++1

-Sincerely,
A reformed, under educated, cut in the summer and burn in the winter "wood carbonizer"
Thank you Hearth.com!

Eucalyptus is great firewood.

Ran into it once in a while when I lived in California back in the 70s. Making a living odd-jobbing in the mountains cutting a fair amount of firewood to sell to suburban fireplaces and woodstoves.

It's very heavy but nearly impossible to split by hand. I remember having to sharpen the wedge on the hydraulic splitter that I was helping to run. It was so stringy even after the wedge had made a full pass almost through it was still attached by tough fibers. The stuff twists so badly as it dries that it was only suitable for pallet stock as far as lumber.

Wish firewood would dry as fast here in Maine as it did in the California foothills.

Status
Not open for further replies.