Weight of full truck bed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
What would be some guestimates if weight of 6 foot truck bed full of green wood rounds?

I move wood around frequently in a Nissan Frontier. It is a full six foot bed with an additional foot extender for a total of seven feet. I can fill it with green hardwood splits and still be 1-2 inches above my bump stops. I've never completely filled it with rounds but would assume it would be a stretch.

I weighed my truck, 7,500lbs. Then I filled it with 3/4" local river rock and it weighed 12,060lbs. The back of the truck dropped about a foot. No amount of wood I have ever filled my truck with has made the suspension drop more then 1 or 2 inches, so a full bed of wood weighs less then 4,060lbs.

Reactions: zenoparadox
What would be some guestimates if weight of 6 foot truck bed full of green wood rounds?
I frequently loaded my Tacoma with a ton to a ton and a half,my 2003,the load of locust rounds in avatar was a ton.My 2016 has never had wood in it because all mine is now delivered or cut here.But there gain it's a Toyota ,my Chevy s-10 back in the pre Tacoma days burned out the bearings after a dozen oversized loads.

i overload my 94 silverado all the time... no idea what the weight is, nor the weight capacity :)

I've fit half a cord in my 6' using rounds and splits to fill in high. Was wet white oak. Prob close to 3000lbs. Very slow trip home.

Toyota just replaced the leaf springs on my truck and they put in beefier ones than what was on there. A bed full of VERY green maple barely made it move.

fv

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Toyota just replaced the leaf springs on my truck and they put in beefier ones than what was on there. A bed full of VERY green maple barely made it move.

fv
My 2016 has three leafs ,as did my 2003 ,on the 03 I added the extra,standard now on 16,never dropped with even the heaviest of loads,more than an inch or so.

Reactions: fireview2788
My f350 with 7ft bed has had over 4,000 pounds of oak in it.

unless you are trying to stop fast....

Reactions: fireview2788
Air bags are your friend....
029.jpg 032.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's a truck load of smiles!

Reactions: BigFir
That's a 3500 up there, it's rated for 3-6k depending on configuration. I put about 1200 lbs in my 6 ft Tacoma (figured that out getting rid of a load of broken up concrete) and while it isn't on the stops, it is definitely close to it and wallows around like a pig.

@Ctwoodtick seems this has turned into a d!ck comparing contest instead of answering your question.

At least blacktail and garfunkle are actually answering. Just to elaborate more on what they were getting at, you can take a guess that if packed well and roughly level I think it's still a bit under half a cord, maybe around 1/3 cord (just a guess). Then look up on the chart they linked too to find what species of wood you're hauling (they can vary a lot like 50%-200% almost) or if its a mix then pic a weight number in the middle. So lets say a mix of common hardwoods around here (cherry, ash, oak) is probably around 4000-4250 lbs per cord green, so 1/3 of 4250 is 1,416 lbs.

If you want to be exact you could measure the truck bed, height x width x length = volume. And a cord is 128 cubic feet. So multiply all dimensions in feet, or multiply inches then divide the answer by 1728 to convert cubic inches to cubic feet. If you're load is heaped up then you're going to have to guestimate a bit higher volume of course.

Reactions: excessads
@Ctwoodtick seems this has turned into a d!ck comparing contest instead of answering your question.

At least blacktail and garfunkle are actually answering. Just to elaborate more on what they were getting at, you can take a guess that if packed well and roughly level I think it's still a bit under half a cord, maybe around 1/3 cord (just a guess). Then look up on the chart they linked too to find what species of wood you're hauling (they can vary a lot like 50%-200% almost) or if its a mix then pic a weight number in the middle. So lets say a mix of common hardwoods around here (cherry, ash, oak) is probably around 4000-4250 lbs per cord green, so 1/3 of 4250 is 1,416 lbs.

If you want to be exact you could measure the truck bed, height x width x length = volume. And a cord is 128 cubic feet. So multiply all dimensions in feet, or multiply inches then divide the answer by 1728 to convert cubic inches to cubic feet. If you're load is heaped up then you're going to have to guestimate a bit higher volume of course.

Thanks for taking the time to break that all down, much appreciated.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
I have a bunch of pics in my (scrounging) thread that show several different loads. Keep in mind that pretty much everything you see in those pics is wet / green oak (pin, red, white). I cut all my rounds at 20".

The trucks bed is 6.5' so it holds close to 1/2 cord if packed & stacked. Those loads have weighed in at around 3000 lbs.

The trailer is about 7' x 16' with 2' sides. It's 2500 # empty and 14 K GVWR so it can haul 11.5 K & still be legal. A good full load is about 2 cord. If I have a trailer full then I don't put very much in the truck bed.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/woody-mustash.110700/

If stacked carefully, and packed tight, I can fit right at .9 cords (unsplit) in my truck (short-bed late 90's GMC) with the tailgate down. How do I know it's .9 cords? I split and stack it when I get home...

Not many people can fit what I can fit in a truck bed so figure a bit less than that, scale for the size of your truck bed, and then multiply by the weight in the charts...

Status
Not open for further replies.