1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

weight of pellets for a given volume?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by wi-dogfish, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wi-dogfish

wi-dogfish New Member

Loc:
    WI
    I would like to take a trailer and fill it full of softwood pellets . It's 5' x 8' x 22" tall. Can someone please tell me how much this load will weigh. Or just how much a cubic foot of pellets will weigh?

Thank you very much.

I've done some searching and couldn't find anything.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    40 lbs per cubic foot
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

Are you talking about filling it with loose pellets, or 40lb. bags?

The pellets alone in that trailer, if they were loose and filled to the brim, would weigh 1 1/2 tons. Better make sure the Gross trailer weight can handle that plus the weight of the trailer too.
  4. wi-dogfish

wi-dogfish New Member

Loc:
    WI
    Thanks a lot. I can fill my trailer 3/4 full.
  5. BrownianHeatingTech

BrownianHeatingTech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Loose pellets weigh 40 pounds per cubic foot.

"Typical" bagged pellets weigh roughly 32 pounds per cubic foot.

For a rough physical approximation, a ton of pellet will occupy a 4x4x3 space loose, or a 4x4x4 cube bagged.

Joe
  6. DiggerJim

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    According to the Pellet Fuels Institute, PFI graded pellets must weigh a "minimum 40 pounds/cubic foot".

Here's the link to the source: http://www.pelletheat.org/3/industry/index.html

A cubic foot is an Imperial (non-metric) unit of defined volume (equivalent to a cube 1 foot - or .3048 meters - on a side) and does not change based on the container (or lack thereof).
  7. wi-dogfish

wi-dogfish New Member

Loc:
    WI
    Thanks guys,

I am getting some bulk pellets and they do have a scale I can drive across to make sure I'm not overloaded.

Take care
  8. BrownianHeatingTech

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Bagged pellets take up more space, because there are air gaps between the multiple 40-pound or 15-kg bags (the two most common sizes).

Joe
  9. DiggerJim

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    Guess I better call my pellet guy - I've got 3 pallets of pellets (Barefoot and Hamer) which are supposed to be 1 ton each and they do have 50 40-lb bags each but they're only 4 ft x 3.5 ft x 43 in. (a hair over 50 cu ft). They must have shorted the bags. Or maybe Stanley shorted my tape measure.

Or maybe under the compressive force of a ton of weight, the bags squeeze into the air gaps and 20% of the space is not air after all. This pellet stuff is *so* confusing.
  10. BrownianHeatingTech

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Guess you should. Probably also should check your pellets, as they may be over-dense. I've measured a lot of stacks of pellets, and they've never packed down to the same density as loose pellets - physics prevents it.

The compressive force varies with the depth. The top bag is under none. Even the bottom bag is under only the weight of a few bags of pellets (whatever is vertically above it), not one ton of force.

Joe
  11. DiggerJim

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    I guess my tape measure must be off then. Should teach me to trust my own eyes.

Looks like Shortstuff in this thread (http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22987/) has the same problem measuring as his stacks also come out way small for 32lbs/cu ft bagged too. Seems more consistent with the advertised 40lbs/cu ft, but hey, YMMV as they say.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.