Weight of wood on a pallet- cubed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I want to make some racks for splits out of pallets. There would be pallets on all sides except top and front. These would be individual so that I can move one pallet at a time up to the house as needed. I want to use a 3 point fork lift attachment on my Ford 8N tractor to move the wood around. I want to make several of these racks to be able to move my splits from my processing area, which is always shaded and surrounded by tree, out to the edge of the woods where it will catch direct sun from noon til dusk, plus lots of breeze.

Do any of you have any ideas as to the weight of one full pallet load of wood? I guess that would be roughly 4 x 4 x 4. Or half a cord. Nearly everything I do would be oak and hickory. An N tractor can lift 700 to 800 pounds before the front wheels lift off the ground. If it can't lift a full pallet load, I'll just not stack it as high.

Thanks.

Isnt a full cord like around 5000 lbs or so if you are talking 1/2 that would be about 2500 . Unless you can counter wieght the front end I think you may be doing wheelies or you may not even pick it up .

You can figure approximately by finding out the weight of the wood you have (look online) and divide it out.

Why not put the forks on that Ford and start stacking a pallet to see how much it can handle. Naturally it will be a tad lighter when it is dry but I would not factor that in. Figure green weight; then you have a reserve. No sense in overworking tools. (Of course you could talk your wife into sitting on the front of the tractor to keep it from raising up!)

btw, I think you have a great idea.

Sounds like a great idea. I found these pics on the www. Looks like half pallet loads - maybe lighter for your tractor?

tractorpallet4.gif

tractorpallet3.gif

tractorpallet1.gif

Hope they help. I'm a big fan of pallets - Reduce, Re-use, Recycle!
Happy burning!

My buddy that does concrete work built a bunch out of angle steel to hold forms and tools for his business , very slick but I don't know about weight. He picks them up with the skid steer either forks under or chain over the bucket. If you need to go smaller would it be better to 1/2 the heigth instead of the width?

Status
Not open for further replies.