weight of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
1. A friend cut down and split a large cottonwood tree. I know it isn't the best of wood but he has it on his trailer ready for me to take. My cabin is 290 miles away so I have to trailer it but since it is free, split and on his trailer I think I will take it.

2. Since I will be up there with the trailer I am thinking about purchasing a cord of birch from a local woodcutter. Can anyone give me an estimate of what this will weigh? I will have to determine if I need to make two trips. Each trip will be +/- 30miles.

kobudo said:
1. A friend cut down and split a large cottonwood tree. I know it isn't the best of wood but he has it on his trailer ready for me to take. My cabin is 290 miles away so I have to trailer it but since it is free, split and on his trailer I think I will take it.

You gotta think about how much it will cost you in gas, wear&tear; on your truck, and your time to haul a bunch of cottonwood 290 miles. The IRS reimbursement rate is $0.50/mile. So, even if you value your time at $10/hr, you are in to that wood ~$200 before it is even at your property.

There have to be better options in MN than a cottonwood 290 miles away even if its free. Go up, have a few beers and a good bonfire with your friend. Its not worth the wear and tear.

Plus, these days when emerald ash borer and other devastating pests are making inroads into our native forests it is really not a smart move to transport downed wood that far. In some states it is illegal.

While I am a non-discriminating burner and believe in the "free wood is good wood" mantra . . . I don't know as though I would bother hauling wood 290 miles . . . even if it was some prime wood. As Solar suggested . . . go up, have a nice bonfire and enjoy the visit . . . but for the wear and tear on the vehicle and trailer and such a low quality wood . . . I wouldn't bother with the wood myself.

I won't go 1/4 of a mile back into our woods for a cottonwood and certainly would never entertain the idea of going 290 miles for a free load of it. However, if I lived, say, in Wyoming or Montana where wood can be very scarce, I might reconsider.

Green cottonwood can be very, very heavy stuff too! Give it a year and it is very light but very heavy when freshly cut. Why haul all that water that far?

Good luck however you decide.

Btu's and weight have a rough afinity. dry red oak has about 24million btu per cord and weighs in excess of 4,000 pounds if I remember right. dry cottonwood is about 11-14 million btus per cord and close to a little over half the weight of red oak. I don't recall the exact site but do a google for chimneysweeps. they have a partial listing of wood/btu/weight. I' be more concerned in the cost of retrieving the wood. Just say 15 mpg and 600 miles. 40 gallons of gas at 2.50 is $100. you could almost get a cord of good wodd delivered for that in some rural areas.

Hey, if it's c/s and free and your driving the trailer 290 miles to the cabin anyway you might as well take it....
I have never burned cottonwood but if it's just a weekend getaway cabin WTH.... should be good for starting a quick fire if it's that light???

Actually you are right kabbott. When cottonwood is dry it splits into some easily ignited kindling. If you have to go the distance ant the wood is cut and split and most of all free. Y Knot.

I dont even burn the cottonwood that is 100 ft away from the wood pile, it all gets burnt on the big burn pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.