Weighted flow check valves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

Nov 19, 2007
CO 9000ft
The two attachments are from STSS.

Questions

1. Is anyone using a setup with weighted flowcheck valves as in the diagram?

2. Will this layout work as well as nofossil's zone valve and pump configuration http://www.nofossil.org/heating.html for charging and removing heat from storage?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• STSZPLSO1.gif
    STSZPLSO1.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 332
  • EMC21.gif
    EMC21.gif
    389.4 KB · Views: 325
My first take, after only one cup of coffee:

I don't understand the function of the pair of check valves above the left end of the STSS. A pair of check valves in parallel (if that's what is shown) is just a piece of pipe.

C-1 and ZV-1 seem redundant when heating with wood.

It would be hard to control the amount of heat going to storage unless C-1 is a variable speed circulator.

Not to suggest that I have the best of all possible configurations, but what if you installed C-1 and ZV-1 in parallel in the spot where you have the two opposing check valves? You would open ZV-1 when the wood boiler was running and you had extra heat that you needed to put into storage. You would turn on C-1 when you wanted to withdraw heat from storage. In this scenario, C-1 and the circ on the wood boiler would need check valves as well, either in series or integral. My experience with swing valves in this application has been less than euphoric. I've switched to using circs with integral check valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.