Weird (but free!) rigid insulation - any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FGZ

Nov 19, 2010
N.Shore MA
Check it, free from a local manufacturer. They're insulating some of their machines, these are the scraps, original use has something to do with roofing. Looks like a basic ~3" thick rigid foam insulation, but both faces are a sturdy cardboard, not the typical foil vapor retardant.

IMG00413.jpg

I'm wondering if I can use it in a crawlspace under a bathroom. If so, any special installation needed? If humidity will be a problem for it there, I hope I can just stack it in the attic. I know there is some moisture movement through there as well, but nothing like a crawlspace. Think it's any good for either of these applications?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions, I'd really like to use this to make a difference in how well the house holds heat.

We use it under rubber roofing every day. Pretty sure it is r-21. 1"= r-7. I don't install it so that's all I know.

Roofing application,,, correct.
Thats good stuff.
Years ago I hauled hundreds of tons of that to the landfill off school roofs. It walks outta the dumpster nowadays before it leaves the job.

Give Tom in Maine a PM, he uses similiar materials for his tanks and I think he used to sell surplus foam

Be careful not to create a vapor barrier holding moisture in. If it were me, I'd furr it out or run it x the joists and vent the air space, and not put it tight to the sub floor.

Ehouse

If I'm not mistaken that's polyiso foam with some sort of fiber facing, maybe fiberglass.
We have collected some from dumpsters for home use and though the facing looks like gray cardboard I don't think it is.

Edit: Maybe like this stuff: http://www.atlasroofing.com/tabbed.php?section_url=19

Thanks for the feedback!

Semipro said:
If I'm not mistaken that's polyiso foam with some sort of fiber facing, maybe fiberglass.
We have collected some from dumpsters for home use and though the facing looks like gray cardboard I don't think it is.

Edit: Maybe like this stuff: http://www.atlasroofing.com/tabbed.php?section_url=19

You may be on to something there, fiberglass backing would explain why I was pretty itchy after loading that truck bare handed. I'm going to look it over more closely and see if it's similar to the link you posted, esp because they spell out installation and other instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.