1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Weird magnetic thermo question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by eclecticcottage, Nov 9, 2012.

  1. eclecticcottage

    eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,699
    Loc:
    WNY
    Any idea what would make one lose it's magnatism?? I went to clean up the stove top last night and found that at some point the thermometer has stopped being magnetic! It's not like we took it off the stove or anything over the summer...I'm baffled. Is that going to effect the temp readings? I can't see how, but...I also can't see how it suddenly demagnatized itself sitting untouched on the stove top.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. begreen

    begreen Mooderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2005
    Messages:
    48,086
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    High heat?
  3. corey21

    corey21 Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2010
    Messages:
    2,215
    Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Like begreen said high heat maybe.
  4. eclecticcottage

    eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,699
    Loc:
    WNY
    It happened over the summer though...I know it was still well stuck on there at the end of the last burning season, and some time over the summer when I cleaned it...DH said it was like that (not magnetic) when he cleaned off the dust before firing it up the first time this season. As far as I'm aware, we only had one overfire and it was near the beginning to middle of last burning season. And that wasn't all that severe, just a faint glow next to the thermo, and we had it under control within half an hour. Now I'm trying to think if I might have set it next to something that might have done it when I cleaned it over the summer.
  5. ikessky

    ikessky Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2008
    Messages:
    862
    Loc:
    Northern WI
    There are lots of times that things happen at home and I tell my wife, "I dunno. I found it like that." I'm just saying....... ;)
  6. pgmr

    pgmr Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    Messages:
    398
    Loc:
    Central Indiana
  7. eclecticcottage

    eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,699
    Loc:
    WNY
    Well...I am thinking there's NO way heat did it after reading the heat needed to demagnatize it. The stove would be a mess if we overheated it like that.
  8. Sprinter

    Sprinter Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    1,921
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    Have you seen any strange lights in the sky lately? Any crop circles in your area?

    I believe that some materials that can be used in neodymium magnets can have Curie Points in the 300-400° C range. I wouldn't think that a stove top thermometer maker would use them, though... anyway, when such a material cools, it usually regains the magnetic property.

    A sharp mechanical blow can demagnetize some magnets depending on the material. Have you been banging on it with a hammer mercilessly?
  9. corey21

    corey21 Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2010
    Messages:
    2,215
    Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    If it was not the heat then higher powers are at work here.
  10. oldogy

    oldogy Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    Messages:
    60
    Loc:
    SE TN
    HPFM========Hocus Pocus Fancy Magic going on there. Some may have heard it a bit differently but the magic is the same.
  11. Sprinter

    Sprinter Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    1,921
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    You know, it is possible to lose magnetism if it were exposed to an AC magnetic field. I don't want to hazard a guess about what that may have been, but it's a possibility. For example, if you are familiar with Weller soldering guns, we used to demagnetize stuff (as kids just messing around) by running them through the loop. there are also commercial devices for magnetizing and demagnetizing tools like screwdrivers like this http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Cube-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-Tools/dp/B003RY6YYM/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1352506114&sr=1-2&keywords=magnetizer demagnetizer

    Edit: Here's a possibility. If you have an older CRT-type TV or a CRT type computer monitor, they have built-in degaussers, which are literally demagnetizers, for the CRT. I really don't know how close you would have to get a magnet to affect it that much, but it's another possibility.

Share This Page