Weird pellet tales

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkydog00

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2007
N. Central Mass
So I am moving the ton and 1/2 of pellets stacked in the basement to another location....in the center of the stack is one bag that has significant water damage. None of the other bags around it had damage. But this bag was all puffed and compressed to the texture of cement.
Now it wasn't wet when i stacked them...and the weather was sunny and dry. SO WFT?
Too weird!

Pellet Gremlins.................

the cat did it, I am now digging into my main stack of pellets and keep finding the puffed pellet problem, PPP, I suspect our kitty Mir Cat Mia is to blame,

Was in the Wal Mart in Augusta a few days ago. Seveal tons of pellets inside the heated garden center. One ton was open. I touched an open bag on the top of a stack. Half the bag was mush. Didn't see any open areas on the bag. If I was left to them as a place to get pellets, I think I would get them one bag at a time.
Got my pellets from Knights farm supply N. Belfast Ave. in Augusta. Did do a pre buy, but without a problem. The owner is a man of his word.

I brought this up before but some mills make there pellets and store them outside. They then sell them to a distributor or retail location and they are trucked on a flat bed semi with no tarps. The pellets arrive to be stored outside in a parking lot till you buy them. Guess what the pellets have been damaged. No you store them for 40-5 months and find a bag damaged. Where you bought them from will take no claim with you having them for 4-5 months.

Research before you spend money. Ask questions and do not buy pellets that have been stored outside. You are at fault them. WEATHER BAGS AND TARPS DO NOT WORK. It is your money and I am sure you worked hard for it.

Eric

I found 1 bag from our delivery that had gotten wet. Boy do they smell bad, (musty) and turn to sawdust.

sydney1963 said:
I found 1 bag from our delivery that had gotten wet. Boy do they smell bad, (musty) and turn to sawdust.

Feed em to the laughing pig.

Eric

Is he laughing at us or with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.