weirdest item you've found in wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
I was out splitting a bit ago, and noticed somthing shiny in the end of a round, looks like a .22 or maybe a staple/nail - I can't really tell. I cut right through it and never noticed, it was about 2" into the round. Just wondering what others have found in trees/rounds, etc?

I find that if I spend enough time in the woods I can sometimes find my sanity.

sorry, just read the post again... I've never found my sanity in an actual tree or round. I must be insane and illiterate.

I split a 6 inch round of silver maple and found a rock. Not kidding...it was right in the middle of the split and the branch came from about 30 or more feet up. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I found a bullet in a piece of ash a year or so ago, it's in amazing shape, you can see the rifling on it, it's odd that it's not mushroomed at all. I figured it must not have hit the tree with too much velocity. That's about the oddest I've found besides the occasional nail.

A few 3/8" x 12" spikes buried about halfway in a 2ft Silver Maple trunk. Thinking some kids used them for ladder rungs to a treehouse some years before.A 3/8" x 5" heavy galvanized screw eye with only the outside edge visible in a large old Apple trunk about 5 ft in the air.Likely used to hold up someone's hammock or clothesline 40-50 yrs previous.I still have it,must've been good galvanizing,because there wasnt even any surface rust on the exposed surface.

I found a bunch of spikes when splitting rounds in a large maple once. I know where some rings that used to be used to tie dogs up have almost been completely absorbed by some white pines in my lifetime. So the pines have put on around 3 inches of radius in the 30 or so years I remember.

Matt

Thistle said:
A few 3/8" x 12" spikes buried about halfway in a 2ft Silver Maple trunk. Thinking some kids used them for ladder rungs to a treehouse some years before.A 3/8" x 5" heavy galvanized screw eye with only the outside edge visible in a large old Apple trunk about 5 ft in the air.Likely used to hold up someone's hammock or clothesline 40-50 yrs previous.I still have it,must've been good galvanizing,because there wasnt even any surface rust on the exposed surface.

Wow - I bet that could've done a number on a chain... Did you hit any of them cutting?

moosetrek said:
Thistle said:

Wow - I bet that could've done a number on a chain... Did you hit any of them cutting?

Thankfully I noticed them sticking out before bucking the trunk.I sprayed them with orange paint as a reminder since it was a few days before I could finish the work.

a few years back I was cutting a mulberry in my dads backyard and got half way through the standing trunk ping ping ping ping at about 3000 RPM followed by a shower of sparks and a toothless chain. I went back to the garage and grabbed another saw and cut up a few feet higher...same damn thing. 2 new chains later and up a few more feet I got the trunk cut about 6' from the ground. Dad and I dug around the stump and cut the roots with an axe, and pulled it over with his jeep. we finally burned it in the backyard about a year later and found a damn T- post in the center of the trunk. those are hard on chains

Jeff

jhoff310 said:
a few years back I was cutting a mulberry in my dads backyard and got half way through the standing trunk ping ping ping ping at about 3000 RPM followed by a shower of sparks and a toothless chain. I went back to the garage and grabbed another saw and cut up a few feet higher...same damn thing. 2 new chains later and up a few more feet I got the trunk cut about 6' from the ground. Dad and I dug around the stump and cut the roots with an axe, and pulled it over with his jeep. we finally burned it in the backyard about a year later and found a damn T- post in the center of the trunk. those are hard on chains

Jeff

That sure beats my rock. It's amazing the things trees will eat!

When I was a kid we cut down a giant cottonwood and when we split one of the crotches we found a full roll of barb wire buried inside. That roll is still hanging in the shed attached to part of the tree. Also horseshoes, spikes, axe heads, farm implement parts, etc, etc, etc. Farm country is tough on chains.

This one was freaky: I found the side view mirror from a car imbedded in a tree.

Found this raking the coals forward a few months ago. My wood comes from the city so I get a lot of spikes, wire fence, etc.

Attachments

• 123010 bracket in ash.jpg
    123010 bracket in ash.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 722
A mouse who, for whatever reason, didn't evacuate the log that and got sliced with the tree. Dead maybe? Trapped? Deep sleeper?

I've never come across metal though - that sounds rather dangerous.

Found this while splitting some Ash last year. Missed it with the saw, but found it with the maul.
0201101455.jpg

Years ago my dad cut down a huge long dead elm tree that was completely hollow (maybe not an elm?) with an 011. The brothers and I were watching for several minutes of course and these chipmunks started coming out of the trunk and climbing up the branches, there were more and more of them until it started falling and then they all glided away to the other side of the valley. Very impressive sight, it turns out flying squirrels are extremely common, just nocturnal.

I was just out on my buddies property a few months back marking trees to cut later, and walking down the trail there was a tree with an aluminum pool ladder directly in the middle of the tree. Old owner threw a lot if crap away in the back 40 of the property. No joke, this ladder was 8 ft up the tree and smack dab in the middle of the trunk. Very strange...

The post above reminds me about one particularly bad flood year. Many of the tires stacked outdoors at the local tire shop floated away and were seen about 8' up in trees.

Anyway, here's my offering. Although, perhaps the title should be "weirdest item someone WILL find in wood". This is a clothesline wheel that is slowly growing into a sugar maple. The chipmunks seem to like perching on it.

Attachments

• Chipmunk.jpg
    Chipmunk.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 395
Now that's a fine photo . . .

At the farm, I know of a rake head buried in the crotch of an oak. Seems her granddad leaned a rake into the tree in the late 50s or so. You can still see a couple of teeth. That and old electric resistors.

I found all the nails I put in 45 years ago. I built a tree fort and ladder up the tree in dads back yard. The tree came down last year and the nails took out 2 chains cutting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.