Wel-Bilt manual hydraulic splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansao

Dec 30, 2010
Worcester, MA
Howdy folks.

I am looking for down to earth honest reviews if anyone has used this product:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316859_200316859

If so, I would like to know the maximum diameter split this splitter can take. It states 18" for length but no width. I scored an awesome scrounge this weekend of 2+ cords of real gnarly oak that we had to cross grain cut with the saw because my x27 wasn't touching it, nor my wedge and maul. Damn tree was 26" in diameter. I wouldn't need the 26" as we cut or split enough to lift into my truck to take home, but even smaller pieces have gnarly knots.

Do folks generally use electric or gas splitters on those nasty pieces, or toss them? I hate to lose those btus!

Why not rent a gas splitter for half a day?

I can't imagine that manual splitter processes rounds very quickly.

No experience . . . but I'm not sure this would work for me . . . a) looks like it would be slow to operate, b) looks pretty low to the ground, c) my wood tends to be 20 or so inches in length and d) well there's no d) . . . it just seemed a shame not to have a d).

Yes . . . I split the gnarly pieces . . . they may not look very pretty or stack nice (which is why I save these uglies and stick them in my punks, chunks and uglies pile to burn in the early part of the burning season when I don't necessarily need or want to fill up every cubic inch of my woodstove . . . the way I look at it . . . I work hard for my wood . . . and want to get as much heat out of every tree that I can (within reason) . . . even the homeliest looking wood will keep me warm in the winter . . . so it all gets split if need be.

I'm not a big fan of rentals, $$ efficiency wise. I'm more into saving money than speed of splitting. If this thing only costs $119 and a full day rental is $50 or so, even if I only use this for the most stubborn or squirrely pieces and chop the rest, I'm saving money.

I'm with you! I don't care what they look like, but how warm they'll make me feel. They all look like ash at the end!

I just wanted to know how folks split some of these beasts, by hand. Especially the Y pieces, or those with the knot on the side of the buck the same diameter as the piece you're splitting, or a bunch of big knots on each side.

It'd be nice if there were a video of a manual splitter in action. That'd either sell me or scare me off.

A guy told me once after he gets his wood to the house he rents a splitter and pays kids to split it. Says those kids are way faster at the work then he is and in a few days he has it all done and stacked.

Tansao said:
I'm not a big fan of rentals, $$ efficiency wise. I'm more into saving money than speed of splitting. If this thing only costs $119 and a full day rental is $50 or so, even if I only use this for the most stubborn or squirrely pieces and chop the rest, I'm saving money.

Never used one but I promise it's not faster or easier or cheaper than a Fiskars

Thanks guys, you've talked me out of this. Now I'm looking at electric ones for the $300 range. But, the big thing I want is for splitting gnarly knotted pieces that my wedge bounces out of, my x27 won't touch, and my maul doesn't have a chance. Are 5 or 8 ton electric splitters not going to cut it either? I can't afford a $2000 splitter.

Here's an example of what I am looking to split:

I think it's oak. I apologize for the quality, it was taken tonight in the dark with my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20110502_201238.jpg
    IMG_20110502_201238.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 251
Saw it into chunks. I've even left them in the woods when I had more wood than time.

Tansao said:
Thanks guys, you've talked me out of this. Now I'm looking at electric ones for the $300 range. But, the big thing I want is for splitting gnarly knotted pieces that my wedge bounces out of, my x27 won't touch, and my maul doesn't have a chance. Are 5 or 8 ton electric splitters not going to cut it either? I can't afford a $2000 splitter.

Then I suggest not looking at a $2000 splitter. But how about a good splitter for half that price? I pain less than $1000 (I think it was around $800) for a splitter over 20 years ago and the splitter that is very close to the one we have you can buy for $999, or half of what you are quoting for a splitter.

Backwoods Savage said:
Tansao said:

Then I suggest not looking at a $2000 splitter. But how about a good splitter for half that price? I pain less than $1000 (I think it was around $800) for a splitter over 20 years ago and the splitter that is very close to the one we have you can buy for $999, or half of what you are quoting for a splitter.

+1 . . . if you could swing it I think for what you want to do you would be happier in the long run laying out a little more cash and getting one of those Huskee 22-ton splitters when they go on sale for $1,000 or so at Tractor Supply. I'm not sure electric splitters would handle all those tough, gnarly pieces that you want to split . . . or they may not handle it very well.

If your intent on a splitter is to take on the stuff you can't whack apart by hand - stay away from the small tonnage (6,8,10) or your gonna be disappointed in the results. The stuff you are looking at is 20+ ton range.

Tansao said:
Thanks guys, you just saved me $200-300!

Consider the used market, but splitters do tend to hold value.

For those big pieces that you only get once in a blue moon, just rent or borrow a gas splitter. You're not likely to touch anything thats going to work well for you in the long run for a penny less than $800.

I have a 5 ton electric splitter and the stuff you're talking about gets split by hand at my house. The splitter takes care of everything thats reasonably straight and not a huge diameter...say 15-18" max diameter.

The Huskee 22 ton gas splitters at tractor supply will do everything you want and then some. Ignore other quick, cheap fix ideas and save your money for that price range splitter, anything else will disaapoint and waste money. Those chunks of oak won't be ready anytime soon anyway and since you've exposed the heartwood already by sawing them in half, they're at least starting to season slowly. Stack them up and set them aside as is and when you can get a bigger splitter (or a 10-12lb sledgehammer and a good wedge) you can knock them out.

mayhem said:
The Huskee 22 ton gas splitters at tractor supply will do everything you want and then some. Ignore other quick, cheap fix ideas and save your money for that price range splitter, anything else will disaapoint and waste money. Those chunks of oak won't be ready anytime soon anyway and since you've exposed the heartwood already by sawing them in half, they're at least starting to season slowly. Stack them up and set them aside as is and when you can get a bigger splitter (or a 10-12lb sledgehammer and a good wedge) you can knock them out.

+1

Tansao said:
Thanks guys, you just saved me $200-300!

Well yes and no . . . we may be saving you $200-$300 . . . but many of us are trying to convince you that what you really want is a $900-$1,000 splitter. ;) :)

^^ 100% true. But he'd be buying a $1000 splitter whether he buys the $300 electric one or not, so the logic stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.