Welcome spring?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
but isn't it purdy? Got a lot more here in Nepa than they thought...it's like a freakin winter wonderland here....gettin sleet now

Attachments

• SPRING.jpg
    SPRING.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 506
  • SPRING 2.jpg
    SPRING 2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 516
GAMMA RAY said:
but isn't it purdy? Got a lot more here in Nepa than they thought...it's like a freakin winter wonderland here....gettin sleet now

Gamma Ray, please keep all the snow south of the Adirondacks. We usually get our last blast of winter in April. :zip: It does look nice.

Zap

That has to be a picture from Alaska lol :)
Looks like a wet snow, shouldn't last long,
but sure takes the wind out of your sails for spring fever.
Hopefully the last one for a while.

Nice pics

It is pretty. We woke up to the same in NNJ. About 5 inches and could get another 3 or so. It is wet and won't last too long.

Hope it clears by the weekend.

Looks like that could have been taken here. Trouble is, we also got a bunch of freezing rain after the snow and that really made it difficult to push around, but we got it done anyway.

Good for you keep it there. My wrist are already giving out and its just now wot season!

Got an inch here. Nice dry fluffy stuff.

As long as we don't get snow or ice or even just a good freeze once the peach blossoms start a little snow is OK.
After that anyone with orchards can be hurting.

Took off from work yesterday to get in one "final" ride . . . while we had a dusting of snow where I live, in one place where we were riding there was 8-10 inches of fresh snow . . . thinking about playing hookey from work sometime next week to do one "final" ride on the sled . . . finally broke the 1,000 mile mark this year . . . sadly I was hoping to see the abandoned steam locomotives in the woods above Chesuncook Lake . . . but one guy's sled broke down . . .

we still have about 6 feet of snow on the ground around here (7,500 ft.)... about 10 ft. up higher around 11,000 ft. ...

You can keep that 6' of snow out there, please.

Mt Ski Bum said:
we still have about 6 feet of snow on the ground around here (7,500 ft.)... about 10 ft. up higher around 11,000 ft. ...

HehHeh . . . I believe it . . . many years ago my wife and I went from Red Lodge to Cooke City via the Beartooth Scenic Highway in mid-June . . . I still remember a few of the snowbank cutthroughs that the plow had made through and how the snow was still several feet high even in summer.

firefighterjake said:
Mt Ski Bum said:

HehHeh . . . I believe it . . . many years ago my wife and I went from Red Lodge to Cooke City via the Beartooth Scenic Highway in mid-June . . . I still remember a few of the snowbank cutthroughs that the plow had made through and how the snow was still several feet high even in summer.

I love that highway... one of the most scenic drives around. As for those snow banks, there's a reason that there's a summer ski hill (open from approx. Memorial day through early July) up near the summit of the pass! ;-P

Backwoods Savage said:
You can keep that 6' of snow out there, please.

Really? I thought I heard that you guys over there in Michigan would love some more snow! :)

This little guy says it's spring already. He is decked out and ready for a mate.

Attachments

• annas-hummer.jpg
    annas-hummer.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 280
grilling in one inch of melting snow as I post, so much for the april fools storm we got friday, 3 wet sloppy inches.

8-10 inches on Friday . . . here's a few pics of my drive home . . . and my sitting snowman and my snow cat attempting to catch a snowbird . . . snow is melting quickly though.

Attachments

• april1.jpg
    april1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 197
  • april1a.jpg
    april1a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 191
  • april1b.jpg
    april1b.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 189
  • april1c.jpg
    april1c.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 173
Its beautiful ffjake..love the workmanship on the snowmen...you are talented...

GAMMA RAY said:
Its beautiful ffjake..love the workmanship on the snowmen...you are talented...

More stir crazy from the long winter than talented I would say . . . .

Old Man Winter isn't quite done with Montana yet.... 10-20 inches of snow by this weekend:

National Weather Service said:
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREAT FALLS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 6500 FEET FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM MDT FRIDAY. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY HAS ALSO BEEN ISSUED. THIS WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW IS ALSO IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM MDT FRIDAY.

* TIMING AND MAIN IMPACT: SNOW SHOWERS WILL BEGIN THIS EVENING AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY THROUGH TONIGHT. STEADIER AND MORE WIDESPREAD SNOW WILL DEVELOP ON THURSDAY WITH SNOW HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE MOUNTAINS. SNOW WILL BEGIN TO DIMINISH LATE FRIDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 20 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 6500 FEET WITH 3 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON AT ELEVATIONS BELOW 6500 FEET.

* WINDS AND VISIBILITY: SOUTHWEST WINDS AT 10 TO 20 MPH TONIGHT WILL SHIFT TO NORTHEAST ON THURSDAY AND INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 MPH THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. THIS WILL CAUSE REDUCED VISIBILITIES IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...ESPECIALLY OVER MOUNTAIN PASSES.

* OTHER IMPACTS: WET AND COLD CONDITIONS WILL STRESS YOUNG LIVESTOCK AND HEAVY WET SNOW MAY ADD CONSIDERABLE WEIGHT TO TREES AND POWER LINES.

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED INCLUDE: WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS...BATTLE RIDGE PASS...BOZEMAN...BOZEMAN PASS...TARGHEE PASS...WEST YELLOWSTONE...BIG HOLE PASS...CHIEF JOSEPH PASS...DILLON... MONIDA PASS...ENNIS...NORRIS HILL...RAYNOLDS PASS...TWIN BRIDGES.

Winter Weather Advisory
NYZ019>021-070300-
/O.NEW.KBUF.WW.Y.0016.110406T2139Z-110407T0300Z/
CHAUTAUQUA-CATTARAUGUS-ALLEGANY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF…JAMESTOWN…OLEAN…WELLSVILLE
539 PM EDT WED APR 6 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM EDT THIS
EVENING…

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW…WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM EDT THIS
EVENING.

* LOCATIONS…THE WESTERN SOUTHERN TIER…PARTICULARLY ACROSS THE
HIGHER TERRAIN.

* TIMING…UNTIL LATE THIS EVENING.

* HAZARDS…HEAVY WET SNOW…MIXED WITH RAIN AT TIMES ACROSS THE
LOWER ELEVATIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS…ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES…WITH
THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN. THIS WILL RESULT
IN TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 7 TO 12 INCHES…WITH THE
HIGHEST AMOUNTS AGAIN FOUND ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

* VISIBILITIES…AS LOW AS ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS…THE SNOW WILL PRODUCE GREATLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND
SLIPPERY SNOW COVERED CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS…
ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN. THE HEAVY WET NATURE OF
THE SNOW WILL ALSO HELP TO WEIGH DOWN TREE BRANCHES AND POWER
LINES…AND MAY LEAD TO SOME ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…

PapaDave said:
I think I'd move. FEET of snow?!! Um, ....no thanks.

Great for skiing! Plus, I'm used to it- I've never lived any but Montana. It's not that unusual for us to have a storm dump +6" on us in June before. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.