1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

welding ports in pressurized storage tank

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by wrightk20, Nov 9, 2012.

  1. wrightk20

    wrightk20 New Member

    Nov 1, 2012
    I'm looking at rounding up some propane tanks to use as storage and a buffer. I'm looking to buy a welder that is capable of welding ports in the tanks without them leaking. I'm just wondering what any of you have used as far as the welding process required for asme grade welding. I would like to buy a good sized mig welder. I have heard that dual shield welding can be used. Maybe the same as intershield welding? Also where would i go to get the ports to weld into the tanks? Kevin

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!

  2. ozzie88

    ozzie88 Member

    May 13, 2011
    Most of my welding I did with stick welder with e-7018 rod and nse black pipe fittings NOT cast iron type but steel fittings. A mig welder would be ok too, with argon gas and right size wire would be ok.
    Clean tanks out good run air into them also,,
  3. DaveBP

    DaveBP Minister of Fire

    May 25, 2008
    SW Maine
    Try mscdirect.com for one easy source. I used some of their "class 3000 forged steel threaded pipe fittings" (extra thick wall makes easier welding). Also their "standard heavy flanges" (female fittings with weld flange).
    Using a coupling rather than a flange fitting allows you to cut one end at an angle to you can let the water enter the tank horizontally at any point on the tank's curved surface. May help reduce mixing in the tank.
  4. 2.beans

    2.beans Minister of Fire

    Mar 22, 2008
    new hampshire
    most any size welder is capable of welding bungs into a tank with the proper prep work and welding practice. i wouldn't use shielded wire unless it was an emergency repair to get me home. im just not a fan of it especially when your making a leak proof weld. just my two cents.i believe "GRAINGER" sells weld in bungs as well
  5. maple1

    maple1 Minister of Fire

    Sep 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    As stated above, make sure you don't get cast fittings. Aside from that, regular black iron fittings will do - but some places seem to mix cast with iron in their parts bins. That happened to me and I had to get my welder to make a house call to me to fix a couple leaks.

    I'm pretty sure he just used a stick welder - he did for sure when he was here doing the fix up. It was just a little thing that plugged into a 110 outlet, and I think he used 7018 rods as mentioned above. So you don't need anything fancy.

    I think if it was a buy just for welding some tank fittings in, I'd just get someone else to do it for way less that the cost of a new welder. If you'd be buying for other things - well, it likely won't matter much what we say - just buy it. ==c
  6. lotawood

    lotawood Member

    Dec 11, 2011
    I got weld-o-lets from McMaster-Carr. I have had bad luck welding waterproof in the past. So I had a local welder do four ports for my tank. It was less than an hour work. They used a plasma cutter to make holes and wire feed gas shielded 7018 equivalent wire. I was happy, and I'm pretty good at welding, other than waterproof and pressure.
    If you don't weld, waterproof welding is not a good place to start. If you do weld and are comfortable with your skills, most any welder will be OK, amps depending. I'm sure everyone has bought nifty tools to get the project done.
  7. 700renegade

    700renegade Member

    Nov 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Best place to buy weld-in tank flanges is Burdens Surplus Center that I've seen. Most of the common sizes are $2 to $3. They are a hobbyists' dream catalog.
  8. JP11

    JP11 Minister of Fire

    May 15, 2011
    Central Maine
    I second this. I'm fine for working on my farm equipment. I had a pro do it.. even at that it took him several tries to fix a weep using top of the line equipment.

  9. steam man

    steam man Minister of Fire

    Jan 19, 2008
    Northern Maine
    The problem is the fittings you reference I believe are not rated for pressure tanks. They are for hydraulic reservoirs. #3000 class fittings are the way to go and they are not that cheap.

Share This Page