Welding Propane Tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy new tanks and dont worry about propane that was ever in the tank.

I have lloked high and low for tanks here and can not find any.

So I havedecided to looka t new tanks that have never been filled.

Easy enough to weld on at that point I would think.

500 gallons here to day is quaoted at 1562.00
325 gallon wasa 1350.00
Brand new

Unless some one has a line on 2-500's and 1-250-350 in Alaska

Thanks

NP ALASKA said:
Buy new tanks and dont worry about propane that was ever in the tank.

I have lloked high and low for tanks here and can not find any.

So I havedecided to looka t new tanks that have never been filled.

Easy enough to weld on at that point I would think.

500 gallons here to day is quaoted at 1562.00
325 gallon wasa 1350.00
Brand new

Unless some one has a line on 2-500's and 1-250-350 in Alaska

Thanks

You guys must have money tress at the north pole thats $2,600 more than I paid for my two used 500 gallon tanks. If you
Know what your doing it's no big deal to weld on a used tank. I can see not being able to find used ones especially where you
are but If you can get used ones ....

Excellent point woodmaster. I think I got $740 invested in my three 330 gallon used tanks. And that includes the gas to go get em, the 15 gallons of lemon scented bleach, and the $50.00 gift card that I gave to my buddy to weld the fittings in.

sure wish I could find salvage tanks here.

I looked at shipping used ones and it is the same as buying new ones here.

I wouldnt mind welding used ones if I could get my hands on them.

Great thread, welding them is definately a doable thing, and I agree if your a novice welder adn dont feel comfortable doing it. Hire it done.

Regards NP

Have to + the advice to use a pro welder. I've told this story before, but it is amusing. A neighbor is a welder by trade and he cut the holes, furnished the fittings and welded in 2 x 2" fittings on the end of my tank - $50 for everything - two passes, looked like a work of art. I asked him if I should pressure test, he said "no", and then I asked why not. He said he welds 3000 psi pressure lines at the local nuclear and coal power plants, and the welds he did for me will not leak. No pressure test ... no leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.