Well “seasoned” oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad101

Sep 9, 2009
Erie, MI
According to the dealer, this oak was split 10 months ago. Looks really wet to me. I’m going to buy a moisture meter and start re-splitting wood and check the internal moisture before I hand anyone my hard earned money! I’m sick of buying crap that’s advertised as “seasoned”.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Attachments

• 105_2213.jpg
    105_2213.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 906
two years for oak to be ready.

Dude that isn't wet wood it's rabies!!! Call the firewood control officer in your town immediately!! :lol:

Ray

That very well could have been spit 10 months ago, but that doesn't make it seasoned. 90% of what I burn is that darn red oak that so many people hate but I have full sun and wind to dry it and it sits at least 2 summers before it is ready. Even then some of the stuff in the middle of my stacks seems to have a high moisture content.

I bought a load of "seasoned" oak as well. from an older gentleman a week ago. He delivered it to the house and I went out to help him unload. It had been split early in the summer and had a nice grey look to it. I got out my moisture meter and the surface was at about 18% but I know what you gave have said so I resplit a piece and tested the middle and it was 34%. So it is going to go into next years pile.

I smile every time I walk past my 5 cord of red oak, sittin there, doin' nothin', waitin til next year.

It'll be 3 summers dryin' for that stuff, and it'll burn just fine :)

I don't think your firewood seller was lying. As was said...... oak really needs two years of seasoning. Put it aside for next winter.

10 months isn't long enough for oak. I never burn any of mine until it's been cut, split, and stacked for at least 3 years. And the trees I cut aren't even green to begin with.

Never buy wood based on whether or not a firewood dealer tells you it's seasoned/dry. They want to sell wood, if that's what it takes. Always plan on seasoning it yourself. If you can't wait for oak, or don't have the space to store that many years of wood, then look into some of the lighter/sooner ready to burn types of wood.

I have some oak that was split in July of 2008 and I still get a sizzler once in a while. How long did it take for it to burn the moisture out of it? I'd say 10 month split oak is probably still at 30%+ as the others have said 2-3 years for oak.

I have a cord of Red Oak that I finished stacking at the end of summer 08. I split a lot of the pieces small on purpose after reading that it takes two years to season. The small pieces are light as a feather and ignite immediately which is great but burn up quickly. The bigger pieces still hiss a bit and I've had a piece or two sizzle. I hope I can get to the point that I'm 3 years ahead but I can only fit 6 cords in my shed. What I'm doing is keeping a couple days of wood close but within the tolerances of the stove. This helps a lot as I can see cracks forming in the ends, especially on the bigger pieces.

Well it's all been said . . . chances are if this was most any other wood beside oak at 10 months of splitting and stacking the wood would be OK for burning . . . but with oak things change . . . most folks say 2 years of seasoning is best.

I have some oak and hickory that have been sitting split for 2 years ( 6" splits) still registering over 20% when re-split.

quads said:
10 months isn't long enough for oak. I never burn any of mine until it's been cut, split, and stacked for at least 3 years. And the trees I cut aren't even green to begin with.

Never buy wood based on whether or not a firewood dealer tells you it's seasoned/dry. They want to sell wood, if that's what it takes. Always plan on seasoning it yourself. If you can't wait for oak, or don't have the space to store that many years of wood, then look into some of the lighter/sooner ready to burn types of wood.

+1

chad101 said:
According to the dealer, this oak was split 10 months ago.

Probably was. Burn test like you're doing is the best test of all.
10 months of 'seasoning' really isn't enough for good efficient environmentaly friendly burns.
Yet too many people still do it. And get frustrated with wood stoves.
Oak is a wonderful hardwood, but it's best to buy it and stack it so it as dried out as possible when you want to burn it. You'll get 'your money's worth' out of it that way.

If you have to buy wood you really need to buy this year for next year or the year after.
That's tough to do when you're used to calling your friendly oil delivery company on Tuesday for delivery on Wednesday, or walking over to the thermostat and cranking up the gas furnace or you've been lucky and found an old-timer with a hundred acres in the boonies with hundreds of cords just waiting for time to pass and a dearth of buyers with flush pockets.

I'm having a garage built and you're welcome to the cut-offs, but damn this guy is good. Computerized building and purchasing is almost waste-free. With wafer board and purchased trusses there isn't much burnable waste, either.

quads said:

I tend to think alot of wood sellers really do think its seasoned after one year. Since being on this forum, I've told several friends of mine, that have burned wood for many years, that Oak and Hickory takes 2-3 yrs to season and they look at me like I'm crazy.

westkywood said:
quads said:

I tend to think alot of wood sellers really do think its seasoned after one year. Since being on this forum, I've told several friends of mine, that have burned wood for many years, that Oak and Hickory takes 2-3 yrs to season and they look at me like I'm crazy.

I have found that maple takes a while to season too as I have some that is close to yrs. old and it sizzles for a little bit when I place it in the stove... The oak that is 2 yrs old sizzles for maybe 5 mins or so but that's about it.. I consider it seasoned...

Ray

raybonz said:
The oak that is 2 yrs old sizzles for maybe 5 mins or so but that's about it.. I consider it seasoned...

Ray

Sounds like it needs another season, if it sizzles it has to still be close to 30% in MC in some part of the wood.

rdust said:
raybonz said:
The oak that is 2 yrs old sizzles for maybe 5 mins or so but that's about it.. I consider it seasoned...

Ray

Sounds like it needs another season, if it sizzles it has to still be close to 30% in MC in some part of the wood.

Nope it's fine and stops in a very short time.. I leave bypass open for that time and all is well.. Getting 8 hr. burn times and that's good... Been running this stove 20 yrs so I know what works...

Ray

I had a white oak split sizzle and bubble out the end for the first time in years last night. The dang thing came off the stacks that have been drying for over three years now and not one other split or log in that stack had done it so far. And it wasn't from the bottom of the stack. Darn near the top.

BrotherBart said:
I had a white oak split sizzle and bubble out the end for the first time in years last night. The dang thing came off the stacks that have been drying for over three years now and not one other split or log in that stack had done it so far. And it wasn't from the bottom of the stack. Darn near the top.

Yup it happens to me too but stops pretty fast and I get loads of heat from the stove...

Ray

I just moisture tested some one season oak this fall and burning most of it now. It was felled in jan 09, bucked in Feb, march stacked in the sun by beginning of May. I made most of the splits 5" or less. The rows that got the most sun ranged from 20-25% with some as low as 15% and others at 28-30% - that heavy stuff went into next years pile. Time of year felled and full sun/air flow seems to make a big difference when dealing with oak.

My experience as well. Needs two years in the sun....but not so easy when the cupboard gets dry and you need to burn what you have. Pays to rotate..pays to plan ahead.....but heck...I rarely ever get there.

The outside of that split looks grey, so maybe it was stacked for 10 months. Doesn't mean its dry, apparently.

When I've gotten a sizzler in the past I always figured I (well it was always easier to blame someone else) picked up a split and put it in the wrong pile (an advantage to covered) sometime in the past. Or it was a piece that held a tarp down, or a bear peed on it.
I had a year old stack of oak get knocked over a while back and out of about a half a cord about a half a dozen pieces were still heavy as rocks. Different places in the stack so couldn'r discern the discrepancy in weights.

I'm beginning to wonder if stubborn old hard-headed Yankees don't haunt tiny spots in oaks in thier after lives.

chad101 said:
According to the dealer, this oak was split 10 months ago. Looks really wet to me.

Stack oak when your children are born, and it will be ready to burn when they go to college.

Forget oak. Oak is 2 or 3 summers, depending on how long it is cut.

Burn pine. It dries in less than one summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.